Hysterectomy tomorrow 12/29: Bowel prep | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hysterectomy tomorrow 12/29: Bowel prep Hysterectomy tomorrow 12/29: Bowel prep

Unread 12-28-2014, 06:39 PM
Hysterectomy tomorrow 12/29: Bowel prep

I understand this is a surgeon's preference sort of a thing, but oh my goodness... This seems excessive. I am scheduled for 11:15 tomorrow (9:15 check-in), and had my last meal around 10:30 this morning. Coffee with cream and some oatmeal with brown sugar and pecans. From 11:15 on, only clear liquids, but at 2pm I had to start this "prep" with four ducolax tablets. Two hours later it was time to start the gatorade / miralax concoction... 64 oz of lemon-lime gatorade (no orange / red / blue colors allowed) with a 14-day supply of miralax mixed in. 8 oz every 20 minutes until it's gone. The first few glasses weren't too bad, but, well, let's just say I'm now behind. So full and miserable, and already - well, liqui-poo - and I am only at 32 ounces!!

Now I'm feeling like such a wimp. I have shakes, chills, goosebumps, and keep thinking if I can't handle the prep, how the heck am I gonna cope after surgery?!

Ugh. Sorry for the vent. Hubby is being sweet and just took the kids to dinner, but no one wants to hear about my bowel cleanse. LOL

Anyone with me? Or had to do this extreme of a prep?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2014, 06:42 PM
Re: Bowel prep

It seems pretty excessive to me. If you are already having liquid poo I would think you are ok to stop drinking the Miralax. Especially if you are feeling bad.
Unread 12-28-2014, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandpanda View Post
It seems pretty excessive to me. If you are already having liquid poo I would think you are ok to stop drinking the Miralax. Especially if you are feeling bad.
I am having DaVinci, as well. My doctor said, and I quote, "I don't want anything blowing up in my face." Now that's her personality there, as well LOL, and I am concerned to NOT finish, but dang - this is a (literal) pain in the ***.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-28-2014, 06:51 PM

I did a bowel prep but it was different than yours. I had to do magnesium citrate. Only one bottle and it took about 6 hours before I actually had a bowel movement. I was nervous I wouldn't be emptied out enough. I ended up with liquid poo later that night and was still going the next day right before surgery. Yuck. It all went well though.
Unread 12-28-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julielynne View Post
I understand this is a surgeon's preference sort of a thing, but oh my goodness... This seems excessive. I am scheduled for 11:15 tomorrow (9:15 check-in), and had my last meal around 10:30 this morning. Coffee with cream and some oatmeal with brown sugar and pecans. From 11:15 on, only clear liquids, but at 2pm I had to start this "prep" with four ducolax tablets. Two hours later it was time to start the gatorade / miralax concoction... 64 oz of lemon-lime gatorade (no orange / red / blue colors allowed) with a 14-day supply of miralax mixed in. 8 oz every 20 minutes until it's gone. The first few glasses weren't too bad, but, well, let's just say I'm now behind. So full and miserable, and already - well, liqui-poo - and I am only at 32 ounces!!

Now I'm feeling like such a wimp. I have shakes, chills, goosebumps, and keep thinking if I can't handle the prep, how the heck am I gonna cope after surgery?!

Ugh. Sorry for the vent. Hubby is being sweet and just took the kids to dinner, but no one wants to hear about my bowel cleanse. LOL

Anyone with me? Or had to do this extreme of a prep?!
It is important to finish your bowel prep as instructed by your doctor. I hope by now you are done with it. I know it is miserable.

I did a similar bowel prep that you are doing now for my colonoscopy, but for my hysterectomy did magnesium citrate.

Unread 12-28-2014, 08:42 PM

Hi ((julielynn))

I didn't take the ducolax but I did do the Gatorade prep. What helped me was to have it chilled and then just chug it down. It is hard for us to understand on our side of things but the prep is for our safety and it keeps the intestines out of the way during surgery. It is really important that you do all she has asked you to do.

on your surgery. We will see you on the other side.
Unread 12-28-2014, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandpanda View Post
Read the articles here on Hyster re: bowel prep and got scared to cheat, so I managed to finish alllll 64 ounces of gatorade - which I will NEVER drink again - containing the full bottle of Miralax. Bluck! Feel so full. On the bright side I am DEFINITELY NOT hungry, and earlier in the day I was concerned about that - ha! I have also been so busy trying to finish up the laundry, straightening my bedside area, and gathering last minute items for my hospital bag (btwn bathroom trips!) that I haven't had much time to worry about the surgery, which is a great consequence.

Now I am hoping the bathroom urgency will subside by a reasonable time so I can get a good night's sleep. My doc gave me permission to take half an Ambien at bedtime tonight, so that will help on the anxiety front. (Yes, I have taken it several times and I do very well sleeping with no crazy side effects, so no worries there.) Can't wait to get to the hospital and go to sleep, wake up, and let the recovery begin. WOOT!!

Prayers up for all going in this week, and for those recovering to continue improving swiftly and completely. Amen.

Love,
Juls
(See y'all in post-op mañana!)
Unread 12-29-2014, 12:13 AM

I'm scheduled for 01/23. Having this be my " last resort" the magnesium citrate has been my best option. Looking forward to an end to this, but today was my 1st panic about it. It's been 2 1/2 years of other procedures and am done with this. Still scary...

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register