Ileostomy, uretha resection and everything out - what clothing? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ileostomy, uretha resection and everything out - what clothing? Ileostomy, uretha resection and everything out - what clothing?

Unread 10-03-2016, 05:02 PM
Ileostomy, uretha resection and everything out - what clothing?

Firstly, I am sorry if the post is long, I just need to write this down and get it out.

hello all, after 3 years of seeing a gynae every 3 mths due to family incidence of Ovarian cancer she retired and sent me to a new one the week after who found problems. Roll on 3 mths of tests and he decided too complex for him and better I "go to somewhere with a full reanimation unit"

So today I see the top boss at the main teaching hospital. I have a "mass", maybe endometriosis blocking my uretha causing my kidney to be enlarged, the same one is blocking my bowel (finger width toilet habits), my cervix doesn't "look right", he took a pap today. I do trust him, he is highly respected and the lead professer. I also have settled crohns colitis. He says it all needs to go, including a section of my vagina. I will need a resection of my uretha, a bowel resection and ileostomy. Out of all of it it is the ileostomy that has upset me most, have lasted well over 20 yrs with crohns and no ops and now this. located in Europe.

I am completely lost and will be taking time to read more when over the initial shock. I am going to my home country to see my family in a couple of weeks and would like to try and do the practical side of getting ready.

Clothing is one thing. With the ileostomy and vertical incision anyone any advice? Maternity trousers?

If anyone is in a similar position I would love to have someone to talk to.

OH is in the "it will be fine" reaction and I rather try and face up to what is happening.

thanks for reading
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-03-2016, 07:07 PM
Re: Ileostomy, uretha resection and everything out - what clothing?

I am not in the same situation as you. I have ulcerative colitis and have been battling a flare for two days. The surgery prep has not been helpful in that regard.

I don't really have advice, I wish I did. I hope that others will be able to offer more than my wishes for you to have a healthy recovery and no more problems.
Unread 10-03-2016, 08:11 PM

Hi Pearlyanne to HysterSisters!

I am sorry you are going through so much. Your emotions and feelings are very normal.

I did not have nearly done what you are having done. My surgery was a total abdominal hysterectomy (TAH) and bilateral salpingo oophorectomy (BSO). I had a 6-inch vertical incision that ran from just below my belly button to the top of what was my pubic hair.

In general loose fitting clothing is what you are after. Some women wear dresses. I wore sweat pants (elastic waist band) and old shorts for 12 weeks. The waist band sat just above my belly button so it did not interfere with the incision.

We do have lots of women on this site so hopefully one who has similar surgery to you will see this post and respond. Just know that you are not alone in any of this. We are here for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 10-04-2016, 05:13 PM

(((Pearlyanne))) You certainly have a lot going on, dear sister! I agree that looser fitting clothing definitely is in order for a while, hopefully with elastic or an adjustable waist which will be more accommodating.

Fingers crossed big time your pap comes back all right, as you certainly don't need any more on your plate. If it doesn't, and you have any questions in that regard, we do have a Cancer Concerns forum you're welcome to check out as well. We cover everything there from abnormal paps to actual cancer and beyond, and there's lots of information that might be helpful.

I know this seems overwhelming, but you absolutely can do this. Please try to take one step at a time, and you'll get there, stronger and more beautiful than ever. Sending hugs and all good thoughts your way.
Unread 10-05-2016, 10:54 AM

It sounds like you have a lot going on, so having questions makes perfect sense!

Will this surgeon be able to excise all of your excising endo during surgery? I would hate for you to have continued endo issues down the road like some of us have had.

It sounds like you are having what is known as a modified radical hysterectomy--often done for cancer concerns but also for ome women like yourself who need extra tissue removed. Doing some research on that type of hysterectomy might help you prepare a bit.

We do have some articles on bowel resections which might give you some info about that part of your upcoming procedures. One is specifically on small bowel resections. If you ask, possibly your surgeon could give you the contact information for the team who will be helping your care for your ileostomy so you could ask some questions in advance and be more prepared. It's worth asking!

Unread 10-05-2016, 01:49 PM

Thank you so much for your responses I really appreciate it and shall be looking at the links you gave. I am rather alone here losing touch with friends after moving to a new country and rather isolated here so thank you for making me feel less so alone. Re trying to get it all he is the professor at a university hospital and endo is his speciality so hopefully in good hands
Unread 10-05-2016, 02:16 PM

You absolutely are not alone! You've got your sisters here, and please feel free to stop by anytime to cry, scream, be scared or even just for some good old fashioned hugs.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register