questions about the dreaded weight gain | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

questions about the dreaded weight gain questions about the dreaded weight gain

Unread 08-04-2011, 04:03 PM
questions about the dreaded weight gain

I'm really hoping to hear from some of you on "the other side", especially if it's been awhile since your surgery. I keep reading in old posts about people complaining (understandably so) that they've gained weight after their hyst. I asked my mom about it (she had her TVH 30 years ago) and she said she never had an issue with it until menopause, where it fluctuated quite a bit, but has since leveled back out. She also said she's always had a "poochy" tummy and that never went away. I'm a pretty thin person "naturally", with a very flat tummy, even after having 3 kids (don't hate me since I do still exercise and eat very healthy). I would like to keep it that way!

I guess my main question(s) is this:

If you were thin before surgery, were you able to stay thin afterward? Or did your body take on a mind of it's own in the weight department? Did you have to work harder to keep a steady weight? Or did things kind of fall back into place once your recovery settled and your eating and exercise returned to normal?

I'm sorry to sound so vain about this. I guess, aside from being vain, I also just wonder what to expect. I'm prepared for the swelly belly, but hoping that it will go away once I'm back to eating and exercising normally. I would love to hear from people who say, "Sorry! No matter what you do - you will always have a swelly belly!" Then, at least I can be mentally prepared (as well as go shopping). Does that make sense?

I just reread this and it sounds like I'm so self-centered (I promise I'm not!), but I really am curious so I'm going to post it. Maybe it will answer another person's questions? Here goes...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2011, 04:07 PM
Re: questions about the dreaded weight gain

I'm really curious to hear the answers to this question, too. I've been a size 2-4 all my adult life, but since I grew this monster fibroid (the size of a 5-month pregnancy) I've gained about 10 lbs., my belly is all poochy and none of my clothes fit. I've picked up a few loose clothes to tide me over until after surgery, but I REALLY want to get back to my normal weight and a body that feels like MY body.

My internist says I'll lose so much weight after surgery that I'll have to buy smaller pants. I think he may just be placating me. I am, however, *determined* to lose these 10 lbs., no matter how hard I have to work at it.
Unread 08-04-2011, 04:14 PM

We are the same size! (and I also live in SoCal) I'm sure you'll lose weight with the fibroid removal - how could you not??? Here's to hoping you can also maintain what you lose. Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2011, 04:15 PM

yeah, my sister had a tvh four years ago and said she gained a few lbs, but that she lost it all soon after. i also have been a smaller person until i hit 45, then gained about 20lbs. YIKES! i stopped eating the offensive things, began to get some more exercise and have since lost all that nastiness. i has my tvh with rectocele repair a bit over 3 weeks ago and never had a swelly belly. no distension at all. have also lost about 3 lbs since surgery, which is a surprise to me esp since all i've been doing is light walking and mostly laying around.
Unread 08-04-2011, 04:24 PM

Thanks ivy46! I appreciate the feedback and I hope you continue to have an easy recovery (and no weight gain)! Haha!
Unread 08-04-2011, 04:25 PM

Someone told me that the body burns around 6,000 calories a DAY when you're recovering from major surgery. If that's true, we should be able to lose weight just lying around, right? ;-)
Unread 08-04-2011, 04:52 PM

Just track your weight, foods and exercise on "Fitnesspal.com"

I just love that site.
Unread 08-04-2011, 05:01 PM

I had my TAH kept ovaries exactly a year ago. Two months ago I seriously got concerned about my weight gain. I have now lost 10 lbs. It was because I started tracking my food intact. There is a free app on my phone My fitness Pal which is identical to WW. I joined WW just to compare the two. I am so glad I am down to my weight before surgery and I want to continue to loose.
Unread 08-04-2011, 05:08 PM

I know you were looking for someone that is further out but I thought I would share my experience. I lost 7 lbs from stress the week before surgery, lost another 7 the week after surgery and gained 7 back over the 4 or so weeks I was doing minimal walking. My usual routine is to walk 10+ km each day. I have gone back to my routine and I am counting calories, so this morning, I am back down 7 lbs. Takes a while but it is coming off. I have 4 more lbs to reach my first goal of 144 lbs. I would like to lose another 9 or so and get down to 135 but I haven't been that weight since my mid-thirties so it may be pushing it. Anyhow, yes, you can lose weight and have a hysterectomy especially if you keep your ovaries.

As to the flat stomach, I did have one in my thirties and early forties but slowly gained weight until I hit almost 190 lbs. That was a wake up call as I had never weighed that in my life. The tummy got bigger with the weight. When I started to lose the weight, it came off but the tummy was still there. Long story short, part of the tummy was fibroids and part of it is/was fat. After surgery, my tummy looked awful. I was horrified. It wasn't the swelling as I had minimal swelling, it was the saggy, hollowed out from the belly button to my bikini incision pouch that I was left with. Both my left and rights sides were pouched out too. I freaked! I know I am way past my bikini days but I am particular about how I look. With continued exercise and watching what I eat, my tummy has returned to pretty well normal looking. It isn't as flat as I would wish and the left side is still a bit pouchy over the incision but I can live with it now. I am still going to do what I can to get it flatter but I think it takes time. At least, that is what both my surgeon and family doctor told me when I asked.

Sorry to be so long winded but I hope it helps.
Unread 08-04-2011, 05:11 PM

I'm not able to eat much lately and hoping that'll help with weight loss. I've got one week to surgery. I was hoping to enjoy food this week since next week I won't want to eat after surgery.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register