Experienced Hystersisters please help | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Experienced Hystersisters please help Experienced Hystersisters please help

Unread 09-12-2005, 07:42 PM
Experienced Hystersisters please help

I am 38 hours til H-day and scared to death! Can someone experienced give me some pointers maybe a heads up. I have never had surgery, I am only 34 and I really don't know what to expect. I know what the Doc and the literature says but there isn't anything better than personal experience. I have GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) and Fibromyalgia and have informed them but they seemed to take no special measures, should I be worried? Ughhhhh HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2005, 07:53 PM

I have GAD also. I was able to take xanax the night before. When I spoke to the anestheiologist in the preop, he gave me some meds in my IV to calm me down. It really helped.

Take a look around this site and you will find some great info. Wishing you the best, you'll be fine.
Unread 09-12-2005, 08:06 PM

I can relate - I've had anxiety problems for years. Thank God my sugery was scheduled fairly early in the morning so I did'nt have to stew over it too long. The checkin process went smooth. They took blood, had me undress, put on gown and started a IV. Everyone in pre-op was very nice and made me feel comfortable. I had general anesthisia and he came and talked to me about an hour before sugery. So did the dr. They were all upbeat and I felt comfortable walking back to the operating room. They had music playing and were chatting. Strapped my arms to boards and before I knew it I was waking up in recovery. They do the cathedar once your under. You do wake up in pain but the post op nurses are right there to get the pain meds flowing. For the 1st 24 hours, I could hardly keep my eyes open. Couple of uncomfortable days in the hospital, but then home, sweet home. Nothing was as bad as I feared. I'm 3 months post op now and feeling great. The hyst was one of the best things I ever did. Best wishes on your sugery, I'm sure it will not be as bad as you fear.

Jean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-12-2005, 08:12 PM

I have to agree with the other sisters, Its not as bad as you might be thinking. My surgery was a radical TAH/BSO with lymph node removal, and omenectomy. I was up and walking the day after surgery, and home the day after that. My fears of the surgery and recovery were not even close to the way it actually was. I was quite uncomfortable for the first few days at home. You will do great, just try to relax, and think good, positive thoughts.
snickers
Unread 09-12-2005, 08:33 PM

Take a deep breath and relax.....This site has wonderful info for before and after surgery. It was a god send for me. I'm one of those people who have to study everything to death. My doctor was great at answering all my questions. The hardest part for me was waiting in pre-op. Alot of ladies were allowed to have someone with them until they went into surgery. My hospital didn't and surgery was late starting by almost 2 hours. So, I was waiting in pre op by myself for a good while, and my mind started wandering. I didn't panic or anything I just got really emotional and started crying thinking about my son when he was young and how he's growing up so fast and will be leaving home in less than 2 years. But they gave me something in my IV to help me relax. Just ask for it when they put your IV in, just in case they don't do it routine. If you want someone with you, ask. I probably could have got permission if it had been a real problem.
I was in a good bit of pain when I first woke up, and the nurse in recovery came immediately and gave meds in IV. I had to wait in recovery for a room which was not fun. They kept saying it was almost ready and wouldn't give any more meds because as soon as I was in my room I would be getting morphine pump. If you can have someone stay with you as much as possible the first evening it helps. I was so sleepy I would forget to hit the button on the pump. My girlfriend would hit it while I was asleep so I wouldn't be in severe pain when I woke up. Once you start getting meds by mouth write down when you get them so if nurse is late you can make sure to raise a fuss. Don't be afraid to ask for what you need. Hospitals get busy. They may think you're not hurting too bad if you haven't asked for meds. Most times they are given every 4-6 hours. If you need them at 4 hours ask, otherwise they will probably wait for close to 6. No reason to hurt anymore than necessary.
You'll get liquid diet for a while. They'll have you up to walk. My aide was really lax about helping me up to walk. My girlfriend finally helped me without nursing staff because I knew I needed to be up. It was supper time and they were like "Hey, you're up" I said yeah I was tired of waiting for someone to come help me.(Note, GF and I both work in health care fields)
Don't get up without someone to help you. You will be dizzy from meds.
Good luck. Best wishes going your way. Soon it will be over and you will be helping someone else preparing for castle visit.
Unread 09-12-2005, 08:39 PM

Hi JoJo, I can tell you my experience of the part that I was most anxious about - hope it helps.

I was admitted to the castle the day before and given a 'bowel cleansing' drink - it made me go to the loo twice for about 10 mins each time - no dramas and not scary. They also shaved me.

On the day I had to have a shower and wear a special gown they gave me. They put a pair of white thick tight stockings on me which I had to keep wearing afterwards as well. I had to take off all my jewellery. Some orderlies eventually came and put me on a bed and wheeled me to the theatre. Outside the operating room I was attended by anaethestists who made me sit up and have an epidural inserted. That was not pleasant - but not too bad. I was a shaking nervous wreck by this time - if they offer you a pre-med you should consider taking it - I'm sure it would help. They then put a 'canula?' (IV thing) in a vein in my arm where they could attach the drip afterwards. Next they started to wheel me into the operating room and I don't remember another thing til waking up when it was all over.

When I woke up I was attached to a drip, I had a catheter to drain urine and all sorts of little machines monitoring heart rate and stuff - but it wasn't scary - it was a relief.

The important thing to remember is to speak up if you feel any pain or anxiety - staff at the hospital will be able to help. Don't suffer in silence. You will do just great! Best wishes.
Unread 09-12-2005, 08:42 PM

We all are scared hun it's toatally normal, I called my gyno and he prescribed Xanax for the night before and the morning of and the pre-surgery nurse slipped some good stuff in my IV i felt totally at ease and as if it was all in God's hands, next thing ya know your waking up it will all be ok.
Unread 09-12-2005, 08:57 PM

If you have some time, you might want to look through the Tell Your Hyst-Story subforum of this discussion board. No, not all of the stories are "wonderful" -- but they are true accounts of what happened in the hospital for many of our members. I became practically addicted to these stories. I found myself reading story after story to see just how things were done in different castles. Here's a link to my own story: MJ's TAH/Panniculectomy Adventure

As far as last-minute advice, I can tell you this. My surgery day went faster than I can believe. I was distraught when I found I didn't have to report to the hospital until 11:00 a.m. because of course I wanted everything out of the way as soon as possible. But it really wasn't that bad. As the others have mentioned, if you get to the hospital and find you are extremely anxious, they may be able to give you a mild sedative as you wait for surgery. I didn't find it necessary, but many sisters do -- and this is no time to try and be stoic! Ask for it if you need it.

Hope the next couple of days go fast for you and that you are soon on the road to recovery!!!

Unread 09-12-2005, 09:14 PM

Thank you all so much this is helping. Information is everything, knowledge is power please keep it coming. I truely appreciate you sharing your personal experience with me.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register