3 weeks post abdominal hysterectomy orange discharge | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

3 weeks post abdominal hysterectomy orange discharge 3 weeks post abdominal hysterectomy orange discharge

Unread 07-13-2016, 10:45 PM
3 weeks post abdominal hysterectomy orange discharge

Hey ladies. I had full abdominal hysterectomy 3 weeks ago, cervix,uterus,tubes, and 1 ovary removed. The recovery is nothing like my 3 csections. Constipation is a huge problem. At one point I took miralax 3xday, plus exlax, suppository, syool softeners and Prue juice, one day later had success. But am hurting again. Rrr. And today I finally drove my kids to church, dropped them off, and picked up some around the house, nothing major, but tonight I have orange discharge which I haven't had any discharge at all. Thoughts on Orange discharge and what has helped you stay regular? I also have IBS, so not sure if that is playing into this too. Help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2016, 01:30 AM
Re: 3 weeks post abdominal orange discharge

Hi, It sounds like you r doing too much.. Rest is what the body needs in order to heal.. Everone of us have been there with the stircrazy & not used to sitting around, & have busy lives, but if you dont rest, you can end up with a setback & longer recovery... Aches, pains, fatigue, more swelling, spotting & bleeding can all be a sign of over doing it. You can call your Dr ask about the discharge. If youre not filling a pad, with some rest, should be fine. You want to be sure no Infection.

You should wait for restrictions to be lifted before doing activities & driving. Usually no driving until no longer having pains & off meds. We dont realize that we use muscles twisting & turning when driving. No housework. You can probably wipe counters, maybe cook an easy fast meal. No lifting. Some walking, rest, hydrate & rotate thru the day. I walked many trips up & back to laundry room carring only 4 items at a time to put into washer, then get a few more.

The GI system is different post op...Peppermint tea for gas, walking & water helps get things moving. stool softeners until your system stabilizes & that can take weeks... or olive oil over salads or coconut oil.. eat apples, prunes, veggies, fruits, nuts, pumpkin seeds thru the day- high in magnesium & will help you go. Eat smaller frequent meals & snacks vs heavy 3 meals. Avoid gas producing foods. Magnesium, B12. Cold pacs for swelling, heat for pains.. Feel better!
Unread 07-14-2016, 04:42 AM
Re: 3 weeks post abdominal hysterectomy orange discharge

Seems like you are doing a lot - or maybe I am lazy, lol! I had everything out - June 24 - and am still on the couch except for some walking, around the house and up and down the driveway. I am overweight ( a lot) and 53 and my sons are old enough to take care of mom - so I am lucky in that respect - not having to take anyone anywhere. I haven't had my first post op check up yet - it was supposed to be the 12th but my surgeon was in an emergency all day and had to reschedule for next week. Yesterday was the first day I felt like me in the morning - no twinges of pain - I was off the couch - just standing around - although I did bend to get some photos of flowers yesterday's yes - I too have a bit of orange discharge this morning. I am betting that yes ... It is doing too much.

As far as constipation - I have to say I am afraid to eat much because of it. If I eat any bread, rice or pasta - it sits like a lump and hurts in my belly. Because I am overweight I am trying very hard to lose weight now that I have had this surgery. I have a hot drink every morning ( it has always helped me to get things moving in the AM. But I am also eating a lot of watermelon. It's a great time of year for it it and it also keeps me regular. So far since the surgery I have only had 2 days that it took 2 days for a BM. Drinking hot beverages, water with lemon and watermelon has helped me to go at least 1x a day - hut as I said - I am really staying away from heavy eating right now - since I am on the couch and not putting out much energy. Good luck ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-14-2016, 05:54 AM
Re: 3 weeks post abdominal hysterectomy orange discharge

One of my recovery Sisters had a report with an orange discharge, and it only lasted that day. She'd overdone it, and that seemed to be the result. You're right, this is not a c-section - you've had a lot more cuts and stitches this time around which require 6-8 weeks before doc okays your release, and possibly 3, 4, or 6 months or more post-op before you're fully healed.

Re: constipation. With Miralax, plus Exlax, suppository, stool softeners and prune juice, that's a pretty solid ticket for your body to not do things on its own. A diet with more fiber and magnesium (whole grains, veggies, dark leafy greens, fruits, nuts, seeds) and less processed foods have fewer additives for the body to digest, along with water-water-water. Getting out and walking also gets the system going, but do what your body allows.

Ask 20 Sisters what their go-to solution is, and you'll get 20 answers - what works for one might not work for another. My go-to solution has been Fiber One original cereal, raisin bran, dried prunes (ick), prune juice (icky-ick, needs a chaser) eaten throughout the day, plus the additional fruits & veggies. Again, water-water-water, otherwise you're making rocks - and rocks don't flow smoothly. Ask me how I know :! Final tip, use a low footstool about 7-9" to get your knees above your hips. We're actually built to squat, not sit, and propping your feet aligns the body properly for emptying.

Best wishes for lubed tubes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register