Having trouble deciding | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Having trouble deciding Having trouble deciding

Unread 12-19-2007, 07:03 PM
Having trouble deciding

Hello everyone,
I have been lurking for a while now and decided it was time to join as I am needing advice before I decide to go ahead with a TAH BSO. I went to a new gynecologist in September for a checkup. After my exam the Dr. said I had an enlarged uterus. So I had a transvaginal ultrasound which found 2 fibroids and one cyst on an ovary. A polyp was also found during a endometrial biopsy. I was never told the size of the fibroids or the cysts. My bloodwork showed I was severely anemic and I was put on iron pills for 8 weeks. My periods are heavy for about 2 days but last around 6 days and I have clotting. After reading these boards for a while now, I feel lucky as I have no pain to go along with everything the Dr. discovered. So now that my hemoglobin is back up to where it should be it's decision time. I know it probably would be best to go ahead and have the surgery, but like all of you, I am scared of all of the unknowns. Mainly surgical menopause and all that may or may not come with that. My sweet husband wants me to go ahead and get it over with. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks, 357NK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-19-2007, 07:38 PM
Having trouble deciding

I know exactly where you are coming from. I ended up in the hospital last April..my hemoglobin level was 4.9. The drs. were afraid I had some kind of leukemia. It ended up being because of my heavy periods. I would go 2 to 3 weeks at a time. I was put on iron as well as Lupron injections. The Lupron made my body think I was going through the change...so no periods for 5 months.. such a relief. I found out that I had fibroids...one the size of a canteloupe. I finally had my TAH on Dec.5th. I was really scared. I am a divorced mother,but at least my kids...are now young adults and were very helpful. I go for my 2 week check-up tomorrow. I feel really good as long as I don't over do it. This is a decision I am happy to have made. It was the best Christmas present I could give myself.It's nice that you have a wonderful husband by your side. Good luck on whatever decision you make, my prayers will be with you.Hope you have a Merry Christmas.
Unread 12-20-2007, 07:09 AM
Having trouble deciding

kylady2007, How scary that must have been to have such low hemoglobin levels. I wish you the best during your recovery.
Merry Christmas Thanks, 357NK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-20-2007, 08:10 AM
Having trouble deciding

if you are afraid of surgical menopause...have you discussed the option of keeping your ovaries with your dr? if they are healthy, keeping them would avoid menopause and hormone replacement. do lots of research on the pros and cons of removing them during your surgery and go see your dr fully informed. also, a second opinion is always smart when facing major surgery. good luck
Unread 12-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Having trouble deciding

dressedupinblue, No, I have'nt discussed keeping an ovary with the Dr yet. I will when we meet, but I'm scared he will try talking me into to taking both. I have read to many stories of Drs. wanting to take it all, "while I'm in there". One of my ovaries does have a cyst on it.
I have been doing lots research on the pros and cons of removing ovaries. This site being my favorite place to learn!!
I have not gotten a second opinion yet, but know I should.

Thanks, 357NK
Unread 12-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Having trouble deciding

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357NK
dressedupinblue, No, I have'nt discussed keeping an ovary with the Dr yet. I will when we meet, but I'm scared he will try talking me into to taking both. I have read to many stories of Drs. wanting to take it all, "while I'm in there". One of my ovaries does have a cyst on it.
I have been doing lots research on the pros and cons of removing ovaries. This site being my favorite place to learn!!
I have not gotten a second opinion yet, but know I should.

Thanks, 357NK
I actually asked my dr. to take it all but she said that if the ovaries were good she would leave them.She said that they help keep a woman's heart healthier. Luckily I was able to keep mine. I just returned from my 2 week post op and she said everything came back cancer free,just a lot of fibroids and an enlarged uterus. I know this is a big step andI know you have a lot to consider. We are all here with hugs and prayers for you.
Faith
Unread 12-20-2007, 01:33 PM
Having trouble deciding

please dont let yourself be talked into removing anything thats healthy and that you truly want to keep. if you want to keep one or both your ovaries let your surgeon know that. i left a dr that wanted to" take it all while he was in there". you ultimately make the decision and its your body. if you do the research and want to keep them...dont sign papers to have them removed. if you want them removed...thats your decision too. i'm not trying to talk you into anything. just remember that its your body and its up to you to make decisions. i wish you the best of luck.
Unread 12-20-2007, 02:51 PM
Having trouble deciding

Hi 357NK!

I have moved your thread over here to our "Options and Alternatives Forum" where other ladies are also deciding if a hysterectomy is right for them or if there are other options available.

I would highly recommend a second opinion with another medical professional before making your final decision. A second medical opinion can either confirm that a hysterectomy is right for you or possibly suggest other less invasive options.

We do have a lot of information in our Resource Database you may want to read through to learn more about your conditions and hysterectomies in general. You may also find the information in the Pre Op Hysterectomy Articles helpful, too! And we have extensive information regarding Hormones.

I wish you all the best for whatever you decide is right for you! Research, learn all you can, and seek additional medical opinions to help you decide! S
Unread 12-20-2007, 05:26 PM
Having trouble deciding

Thanks ladies for your words of encouragement! It really helps to talk to those who have been there.
kylady2007, Glad to hear your post-op report was good!
Have a wonderful 2008!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register