Pain?? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-04-2003, 10:42 AM
Pain??

Hi

I'm having my surgery in January. And i'm sooooo nervous about the pain!! I'm looking forward to as well but more so scared of the pain after. Is it really that bad??
And do we really get so tired after??

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2003, 11:25 AM
Pain??

{{{{{{Daisy}}}}}}} To answer your questions, first of all, the pain is very manageable and every doctor has his own plan for pain management. He/she is the best one to ask for any info on the type being used for your surgery. Believe me, it is was nothing compared to the pain I had prior to my hyst. As for the feeling tired, yes, you will be tired for awhile. That is just part of the healing process. Remember your body goes through alot with this surgery. I finally felt better after 3 months. Some ladies are more tired than others if they had anemia prior to their hyst or have sleep problems during recovery. Both situations can be helped by your physician. Good luck with your surgery and please keep reading and posting here as well. Just remeber your doctor is the best source of info when it comes to your body. God bless!

Emily s
Unread 11-04-2003, 11:28 AM
Hi there

Okay...relax.....I am exactly 3 months post-op today...and I feel great!

What kind of surgery are you going to have? I had a TAH with one ovary removed. Did it hurt? Of course I had some pain afterwards....but nothing that was horrible...and let me tell you...the pain I had after the surgery was worth dealing with so I wouldnt have the pain I had before the surgery!

After the surgery they first gave me morphine in an IV (pump)...I didnt really need that (and it was making me feel horrible) so they took that out the next day and gave me percocet. I was in the hospital 2 days.....and at home I used the percocet twice...and then went to Tylenol. So the pain really wasnt that bad..as long as I followed the rules and was a good princess.

As far as the tiredness.....yes....I was tired ALOT....I still get tired if I do too much.....but not too bad. But again...I would rather feel tired than be in pain!

Hope this helps a little...if you would ike to email me please feel free to send me a message and I will give you my email address.

Good luck
Lizzie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-04-2003, 11:41 AM
Pain??

Yes there is pain after but it is manageable by your doc and you. I personally had worse pain during my never ending periods than after surgery. And having a large ovarian cyst burst was so much more painful than the after surgery pain. Plus when you wake up after surgery and realize, this is the worst you will hurt, from here on out you're on the road to recovery, it gets better every day.

I was very tired and had trouble sleeping at about 2 months but by three I was feeling great and ready to go. Now I'm doing better than ever!

Wishing you a noneventful surgery and recovery!

Amy
Unread 11-04-2003, 02:01 PM
Pain??

After I opened my eyes in the recovery room & realized I had just woke up from surgery- the nurse beside me asked if I was any pain- What I felt was more like a cramp- and I never really had bad cramps. The nurse then put something in my IV, and I was off to my room. I only used my morphine pump a couple of times cause it was not making any difference. I felt fine with the Ibuprophin they were giving me. You will tire easily for some time afterwards, but do not be scared of "pain". If for some reason, you are having pain, they are right there giving you something until it goes away. I was concerned just like you. In fact I was really scared of the whole thing !! I was very suprised how easy the surgery thing is. The recovery is slow because you have to let your body heal correctly, but don't worry you won't feel 'bad' during that either !! Best of luck to you !!! Becky
Unread 11-04-2003, 02:42 PM
pain

I had a complete abdominal hyst 2/14/03 and I would compare the pain to half that of recovering from child birth. You didn't say if you have experienced major surery before. But, I had to be opened up for gallblader surgery once and the hyst is painless compaired to that! I felt GREAT the following day and the first day was easily controlled with meds. The first day home up and down out of your own bed is the worst, but it only took a couple of days and I felt soooo much better than I ever thought possible. Warning! My Dr. told me not to lift anything heavier than 10 lbs! Well, I tried to carry a very small load of laundry under one arm in the 4th week and I had to take Advil and hurt for 2 hours before releif. Tried again at 5 1/2 weeks and it still hurt me. 6th week I could lift anything...go figure. Just becareful! I did get tired. Napped a lot! But I was back to normal in about a month. That is the old normal! Now I go, go, go and only sleep about 6 hours. I FEEL GREAT EVERY DAY! Even pain the many Dr's told me wasn't caused by "that", is completely gone!! Good Luck! I could shoot myself for putting it off so long.
Unread 11-12-2003, 09:11 AM
Not so scared now...

Hi

Wow, what a great site this is. Thank you for the replys it has clamed me down some what.

To answer your question about other surgery, yes i had a C-Section with my daughter 6 years ago and i even suprised the nurses how fast i moved but then i had a baby too and had no choice. So i have exp. pain before. But i had my tubes tied 2 years ago and the gas that i had was so painful, which is all i remember. The whole night and next day i was moaning in so much pain!
I have had friends who has had this and they all had no problem. So that was a bad experience for me.

I'm having the hysterectomy because of heavy and frequent periods. I did also have a laser treatment to slow down my period and it did work for awhile.

Once again, thank you for all your thoughts.

Daisy1144
Unread 11-12-2003, 09:24 AM
Gas Pain

Daisy 1144,
I highly recommend the sippy cup that they talk about in "things to take". It will help a lot with the gas. I didn't use a straw at all and only had slight gas pain. Remember to move around even if to just elevate your bed or shift from side to side frequently will help too.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register