full of fluid | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

full of fluid full of fluid

Unread 08-06-2007, 02:56 PM
full of fluid

I am 3 days post op and have fluid overload. My ankles, arms, back seem to be full. I had a Lap assisted vag hysterectomy so I'm not sure if this is normal? Any help will be appreciated. Renee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2007, 05:29 PM
full of fluid

Please call your doctor. This does not seem normal to me.
Unread 08-06-2007, 06:02 PM
full of fluid

Are you moving around enough... each hour for a little bit? What about salt... eating too much of that? I'm with the above poster... call the doctor just to be on the safe side. So sorry you're dealing with a blip during this stressful time. Hang in there. We are all sending you good thoughts!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-06-2007, 07:05 PM
I had belly swelly

You should never feel hesitant to call your MD with any post-op concerns!
I had swelling in my belly for a few weeks after my LAVH (06/18/07), although it gradually subsided. It felt really odd. My surgeon explained it's mostly from all the fluid/air they pump into you during the surgery, and also from the lymph node removal (lymph fluid has to be "re-routed"). But please call your MD, and then let us know.
Unread 08-06-2007, 09:49 PM
full of fluid

It takes a while to get all the systems moving. I had excess fluid buildup in me for a while after my surgery, too. They used lots of IV fluids in me and of course my first 24 hours after surgery, all I did was drink fluids. In fact, even though they removed over 5 pounds of fat, skin, and uterus, I GAINED weight in the !!

Are you producing urine? If you are, then it may just take some time to get your system back in order. Try sitting with your feet elevated to help keep the swelling in your feet and ankles down -- I've always found that the swelling in the lower extremities was the most uncomfortable for me.

You might try putting some lemon juice in your water... not only does it taste good but lemon is a natural diuretic and can help push that fluid through.

I also agree that calling the doc if things aren't getting any better is a good idea. Maybe there's something specific he/she will recommend to you.
Unread 08-07-2007, 06:05 AM
full of fluid

I also had LAVH. I gained 15 lbs from the time I checked into the hospital (AM of July 31) to the time I got home (AM of Aug 1). I called the dr and was assured it was from the IV fluids and to be expected. A friend of mine who's a nurse told me the same thing. Over the course of about the next 3-4 days, I lost the 15 lbs plus 3 additional lbs (trying to eat very carefully, because I am on a diet to begin with and do not want to gain a bunch of weight during my recovery while I am unable to go to the gym). It's just water, and it will come back off. Be sure to drink plenty of fluids (I drink 100 oz of water per day, anyway, which helps).
Unread 08-07-2007, 06:06 AM
full of fluid

I posted in response to this question but wanted to mention something here, as well.

I don't know if you had a laprascopic surgery or not, but a new product was approved by the FDA last year to help those getting reproductive surgeries not to have so many adhesions forming post-op. It is called, "Adept", and I know my dr. used it on me and I did get bad swollen ankles, but I kept peeing like crazy and Day 5 the swelling went away! Adept is squirted through the laprascope and is a fluid that stays in your body for about 4 days and helps to reduce adhesion formation.

Brenda
Unread 08-07-2007, 10:42 AM
fluid is coming off

Today I woke up with less fluid down 6 lbs but still have 10 to go! I too had a fluid bolus due to my BP dropping in the bucket~Which was about 4000 cc over 24 hours. I called my doctor she said it will take a few days for my body to adjust. My Count also dropped below normal which my body is also hanging onto fluid for that reason. I still am puffy but I atleast I have a reason. I have been working out dieting and lossing weight and I was in shock that I was 15lbs heavier! OMG!!! Thanks for all you support I'm just feeling overwhilmed!
Unread 08-07-2007, 10:56 AM
full of fluid

Yeah, it WAS shocking, to say the least. My DH thought I was crazy for weighing as soon as I got home from the hospital.
Unread 08-07-2007, 10:58 AM
full of fluid

Since corn is in season, and you may have organic or grow your own, if you save the silks off the top and dry them over night on a papertowel in the oven, and keep them in a glass jar or plastic bag, make a tea using a handful of corn silks into a ceramic tea pot cover with boiling water and steep 3 to 5 minutes, This is a great diuretic tea! You can harvest it now while corn is available and keep it through the year. It will help you to get rid of excess fluids on those puffy days, of course check with your doctor post op now, because you are very swollen! Also eat plenty of fesh parsley if you have it, it is also a diuretic and can sure help you now! It is not just a garnish anymore!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register