When Can I expect Menopause Symptoms? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

When Can I expect Menopause Symptoms? When Can I expect Menopause Symptoms?

Unread 01-23-2010, 12:31 PM
When Can I expect Menopause Symptoms?

Hi everyone... I'm 32 yo and just had a dVH-BSO on Wed 1/20. My recovery is coming along really well and as of right now, I'm completely off all narcotics and doing just fine. I've slept a lot the past couple of days and today, I'm actually feeling pretty good, considering! But one thing I have been really curious about is the menopause stuff. I assumed it would be like almost instant, but I have had no symptoms that I am aware of and it's day 4 for me. There is a lot going on with my body right now, and I'm feeling kind of overwhelmed. I got teary eyed last night and I'm not sure if it is fatigue/stress or the onset of the menopause symptoms?! I haven't had any hot flashes or night sweats or anything as of yet. I'm curious as to when those symptoms are expected to begin?! I didn't think he would have to take my ovaries but he did due to really severe endometriosis. So I'm trying to figure out a lot of stuff - including HRT. My doc says I really have to take it because I'm so young. But, because of all that is going on and the hysterectomy and everything.... I no longer know what is "normal" for my body.... and I'm just trying to get a heads up as what to expect!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2010, 02:44 PM
Re: When Can I expect Menopause Symptoms?

I am 38 and 5 weeks out from a DVH - BSO and not on HRT due to endo. I have not had any menopause symptoms yet. I hope neither of us have any problems with menopause.
Unread 01-23-2010, 04:59 PM

You may be one of the lucky people who doesn't have a problem with menopause . Everyone reacts differently to menopause and right now your body is probably trying to heal. It may be that you won't experience some of the worst side effects of surgical menopause. At first, I was so tired and trying to recover that my menopause symptoms were very mild. I had been in medical menopause (on Lupron) for years so my body didn't react until the second week or so. If you start to have symptoms of menopause, you will know it. For me the worst was insomnia that started about two weeks out. It is very possible that you won't react the way that some of us did. I had hot flashes-not too bad- but the insomnia and also the mood swings were horrible. I felt like I was on a rollercoaster. I am now on HRT and doing much better. Hopefully, you will have an easy surgical menopause and not have to worry about this. My thought would be to not worry and stress about this. If you start experiencing some of the symptoms of menopause, then worry about it. Wishing you an easy menopause with little symptoms!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-23-2010, 09:21 PM

I had my surgery 01/12/10 and my doctor told me menopause symptoms usually set in on the second day postop. I am not on any HRTs as I had a blood clot several years ago and my doctor wants to see how I do first. The only thing I have experienced so far is hot flashes that don't last long and usually come in the evening and in the middle of the night. I just throw the covers off until it goes away and then cover back up during the night. So far, it hasn't been anything I can't live with and I'm praying it stays this way. I was having headaches and am hoping this stays away (so far it has). Maybe we can both be one of the lucky ones.

Unread 01-24-2010, 12:16 PM

Hi everyone! Thanks for all your replies! Well, now I'm not going to stress and just hope that I'm going to have a really easy surgical menopause!!! Maybe we will all get lucky and not have much to worry bout other than happy and healthy recoveries! Thanks so much for responding all of you and I hope ALL of you are recovering well!!

Unread 01-24-2010, 12:34 PM

Hi there. I never had hot flashes and my doctor told me in the hospital that if I didn't have them then, I probably never would. That is not true for some women but it has been true for me. I do have a night-sweat here and there but not bad.

I will say that the emotional part of it has been difficult and it's been hard to figure out how much of it is hormones or just post-surgery and life issues. I have some pretty low days and then some are just fine.

The main symptoms I suffered from at first were blurry vision, headaches and memory loss. The first 2 stopped after about 6 weeks but the memory/confusion has been slow to come back.

You may not find that you have too many symptoms, I sure hope so! Just keep track of how you are feeling and let your doctor know.

Best wishes! :starhugs:

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register