Post-op bowel movement problems - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post-op bowel movement problems Post-op bowel movement problems

Unread 03-16-2006, 10:43 PM
Post-op bowel movement problems

Boop38 - How are you feeling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2006, 06:31 AM

hey! i am on a very limited diet still. due to the doc cutting my bowel. it wasn't really hi fault i guess. he had to "peel" most of my abdomen free of adhesions. anyhoo, i cannot eat fresh veggies, or fruits, so fiber has been a problem for me. i was told by my doc to drink citrucel. i bought some, and it tatses pretty good! it has made such a difference. i have one glass in the a.m., and if i need it, one late afternoon. don't drink too much though, as it can turn things a bit runny. tmi! you might want to give this a try if you are still having problems after the o.j. good luck to you!
Unread 03-17-2006, 06:40 AM

That is rough, I had a TAH on Feb. 27 and Mar. 14 is when I started having relief from this problem. I took stool softeners every night before bed with lots of water for two weeks. They help, but sometimes they have side effects that make them cause problems too. Then I usually woke up twice to pee. My doctor had me avoid broccoli, beans, cabbage, carbonation until March 13. I had extreme pain, it is better now just a little pain when its time to go. Drink lots of fluids. Call your doctor if it does not get better. I know how you feel-take care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-17-2006, 06:42 AM

I didn't go until 5 days post op, and then had to take stool softeners, and it was quite uncomfortable. I've taken stool softeners a couple times since then, but haven't for several days now, and things are moving nicely. I had such constipation problems before the surgery that going every day and having normal stools makes me feel better. I drink a lot of water, and have my coffee every morning. Also eating my fruits, veggies, and whole grains.

Hang in there because it does get better.
Unread 03-17-2006, 06:55 AM

I had the most EXCRUICATING pain trying to have a BM the first 2 weeks! I stayed at my mother's house and she would come in the bathroom and let me brace her in order not to pass out as the pain from any kind of gas or poop moving was overwhelming. And yes, the stool was so soft but I felt like I had passed a bowling ball!

My mother-in-law brought over some prune juice which I immediately drank a glass of hoping for relief ... god what a mistake! I called the doctor after hours of even worse pain and he said no more prune juice as it creates a great deal of gas... he said to eat the prunes instead of drinking them, take a stool softener, drink plenty of water and walk around the house. Gas was just as bad... anything moving in there was horrible! Walking helped SO MUCH. From one end of the house to the other and back again and agin... slowly. But I always either passed gas or actually felt I could succeed on the toilet after walking some.

I am now at 4 weeks and no more pain, although I do feel a great sense of release everytime I pass gas or have a BM.

Hang in there! I KNOW it's horribly painful, I swear... but I believe it will subside. And DON'T HESITATE to call your doctor. We only have once experience with this but they know all the tricks!

Sending you loads of (upper body) hugs and prayers for a painless BM!

Kelly
Unread 03-17-2006, 06:56 AM

Betty,

I had such a huge problem going to the bathroom and still am. I'm about 2 1/2 weeks post op, and I had my appointment on Wednesday and my Dr. prescribed me a laxative. It is a power, and you mix it with your drink of choice. I happen to mix mine with apple juice. You can't taste the power, and it dissolves like there is nothing added to your drink. The name of the product is called Glycolax and you'd hae to have your Dr. write a prescription for it. It WORKS! and it works without pain, cramping, and 'accidents'.

I too was trying, soft foods, colace (stool softner, suppositories, and fiber) but nothing was working with any regularity, or without painful cramping. I went 5 days... Yes, 5 days, and then another 4... it was horrible. I've found some relief finally!

As far as the urination problem. I had problems with that too, I told the Dr. about it, and they did say I had some blood in my urine, and they sent it off to be tested. I'm still waiting on results of that. Anyhow, each day the peein' pain gets a little better... at first it felt like all my organs were sitting on my bladder.. Ugh..

It's tough-- being a woman and having to go through all of this, I'm just glad that we have this site to come to when we need a pick me up

Just my 2 Cents,
Twizz
Unread 03-17-2006, 06:57 AM

me too! i had my first bm at 5 days and decided to take 2 tablespoons milk of magnesia! along with the anti biotics i got the runs so bad i was bleeding. but it is better now. but still hurts like you know what to go. i am so glad this is normal for some. i was so worried they would have to go back in and put me back together. i did have a rectocele repair which i thought was the problem but i can see that it is part of the problem in general for some. thanks for being able to share this it has helped me a ton!!!
Unread 03-17-2006, 07:12 AM

Boop - sooo sorry to hear about all of your horrible pain! I know that you have received a lot of good advice from our sisters - I found the best thing for me was to just keep drinking plenty of water and the colace did help - took 3 a day to start and now I haven't had to take any for the last few days. But do call your Dr before the weekend just to be sure. Also, if you are taking the heavy painkillers that can also attribute to the bowel problems. Hope you feel better - Keep us posted.
Lily
Unread 03-17-2006, 07:58 AM

I'm still not "normal". My twin sister had the surgery a year before me and told me it took her months to feel as if her intestines and bowels were working properly. The Dr. told me I could stay on the stool softener for another month but I stopped taking it some days ago and am now trying Activia, the new Dannon yogurt that is supposed to improve intestinal tract movement after 2 weeks of use. I'll have to let you know what I think after that period of time. My gut still feels numb --outside and in -- and the scar tissue from the incision is still so tender. Having sluggish bowels pressing against the scar and muscles doesn't help one bit. I wear my belly band still -- it helps. I'm back to work and suspect I am expecting too much too soon.
Unread 03-17-2006, 08:10 AM

I had some of my female organs dissected off my intestine due to scar tissue (adhesions? right?)... I wonder how many of you with the same pain complaint have also had this as part of their surgery....?

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register