diabetes and hyst question? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

diabetes and hyst question? diabetes and hyst question?

Unread 04-15-2004, 05:50 PM
diabetes and hyst question?

My surgery was suppose to be 4/20, but now since Ive been diagnosed with diabetes as of last week, surgery has been postponed until June. I've had to adjust to the twice daily finger pricks (luv those!) ugh! But I know how serious the disease can be and I want to live! I had hoped that it would skip me, but granparents on both sides have it to some degree, lucky me! I can't complain the dr says if I restrict my diet and exercise there is rhat possibility of coming off the pills(metformin twice a day for right now), my question: Have any of you sisters that have diabetes and went through with the hyst, weel has the hyst affected your blood sugar levels in any way, positive or negative? The doc said any surgery can increase blood sugar levels But usually the level out back to where they were prior to surgery, has anyone else noticed a huge or slight difference? Justa thought that has crossed my mind and I can't seem to find any info on it on the web.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-15-2004, 07:04 PM

Hi treebo,
I was diagnosed with diabetes last summer. I had my hysterectomy 10 days ago. Right after the surgery,my bloodsugars were a little more elevated than usual, but they did come back to normal the next day when I was eating right. Since I have been home, my bloodsugars have run a little lower than they used to....another good thing!
My advice would be to take care of yourself as good as you can before hand. Pay close attention to your diet and exercise as much as possible....walking was my exercise of choice...and just try to stay as unstressed as possible. My #'s go up with stress.
I wish you the best with your surgery. I am so glad that I had this done....I fell SO much better already. Email me if you have any questions. I would be happy to help if I can.
Laurie

P.S. I take metformin daily also. It sure has helped.
Unread 04-15-2004, 07:33 PM

I had to actually come off of my medicine prior to surgery and they had just increased my medicine like two weeks prior. But due to taking Glucophage they wouldn't do surgery without me being off of it for a certain period prior to surgery. Then I had to wait like 5 days after surgery before I could start taking it again. When I went in the day of surgery my sugar level tested fine. Which suprised me. But I really really tried to watch what I ate and drank while I was off more so than what I did when I was on my medicine. I am one that will not play around with the "exchanges" as I don't feel comfortable with doing that yet, so I am real cautious with my diet as a diabetic. Like you diabetes ran in my family, so wasn't too surprised when I was diagnosed with it, as I had been tested as a child every year on for it since my natural father had the disease and had to take insulin shots for it. My natural brother has to take insulin shots so thankfully I am just on the pill. But I was fine with my surgery and coming out surgery, etc. Mine wasn't post-poned when my levels increased but I had been diagnosed for over a year prior to my surgery and taking medicine for it. So would imagine with yours just being found they want to get yours adjusted before surgery.
Good luck with your surgery but you should be fine under your doctors care and looks like he already has a close eye on things for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-16-2004, 06:46 AM

I too am diabetic and on Metformin twice a day.

Before my last surgery, they checked my sugar level, andit was fine (since I hadn't eaten anything since 9pm the previous night). As long as they know you are diabetic, your blood sugar will be monitored in the castle, and the appropriate meds will be given to you.

Good advice though to take care of yourself really well pre-surgery and keep your sugars in good control.

You'll be fine hon

Tam
Unread 04-16-2004, 08:12 AM

I too take Glucophage and Actos. My Dr didn't say anything about going off of those meds beforehand. Do you know the reason your Doc had you stop?
Unread 04-16-2004, 08:45 AM

Me too! My GYN actually found the diabetes in 2002 (my regular doctor never found it!) but I am supposed to take my meds right up until the night before, they did not say anything about not taking it, they will start me back after surgery.
That's strange that they told you that.....
the only thing she told me was that it takes a little longer to heal when you are diabetic, but it was not that big of a deal.

Good luck!
's to you!

S.
Unread 04-16-2004, 08:56 AM

I did take my meds (Glucophage) the day before surgery. I did not take it the day of or after surgery. My doctor started me back on the meds when I was eating regularly again.
Good Luck!

Laurie
Unread 04-16-2004, 06:14 PM

The reason that I was given for having to come off the "Glucophage" prior to surgery was because of the anesthesia...they said the anesthesiologist preferred me to come off a couple of days prior, but the my DR who was doing surgery required me to be off of it 5 days prior to surgery or who would perform surgery. What I was told by the nurse is it can sometimes interfere with the anesthesia.
Same thing with certain tests I have had done, for example an IVP, CT Scan I had to not take them the day of the test and then had to wait a few days after those tests before I could take them again. But to my knowledge it is only with the "Glucophage" that this is done with. I just got the experiences of it the past Fall with all the testing that I underwent and my surgery of having to come off and go back on it after procedures were over.
But that is just how it was explained to me, so I just followed what I was medically told to do by the medical people whose care I was under at the time.
But each doctor I am sure is different so if your doctors didn't tell you to come off of it then I am sure they were confident in your not being off of it. Mine just wouldn't do the surgery if I was on it and that was what the nurse stressed to me. So didn't want my surgery postponed by me not following orders so I didn't take it and thankfully did just fine.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register