Scheduled LAVH LAVH on 3/6 and what scares me the most... | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

LAVH on 3/6 and what scares me the most... LAVH on 3/6 and what scares me the most...

Unread 02-27-2012, 01:01 PM
LAVH on 3/6 and what scares me the most...

...is the first BM after! Any suggestions on how to make this an easier process? I know a certain sugar free candy always gets things moving...wondering if I shouldn't keep some of those on hand? Not to mention our toilets clog so easy and my hubby (God love him) has no idea how to use a plunger...always my job and I don't think I'm going to be able to help with that for a while, lol.

Sorry if this seems like a silly question and I'm sure, compared to the many worries out there, that it is. I've just read many horror stories. Thank you ladies SO MUCH for this site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2012, 01:26 PM
Re: LAVH on 3/6 and what scares me the most...

I took (and still take not quite 2 weeks postop) colace 2x daily. I also drank prune juice. It just slides right out without much in the way of pushing. Are you doing a bowel cleanse? If you are (I did), it will take several days before you have your 1st BM, which is totally normal. Just keep taking the colace and drinking a lot.
Unread 02-27-2012, 04:24 PM

Thank you so much for your reply! Yes, magnesium citrate day before, no eating drinking after 6 am day of (surgery at 3:45) Dont think
I'll have much of an appetite anyway but I sure am going to miss my diet coke!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-27-2012, 04:34 PM

I too was warned about the first one after the surgery but for me the anticipation was the worst part - just don't rush it. I found these helpful:
benefiber - I really recommend having benefiber at your home and start it immediately. My nurse recommended Benefiber over Metamucil. Benefiber orange tastes fine, but I will probably get the tasteless version next time. I prefer to take this rather than pills. It acts quickly and helped keep most days normal for me. Think of this option as proactive.
stool softner - another good option if you feel like you need to go but cannot.

Tips - if you are not having the BM move really smoothly do Not strain. If you sit on the toilet and gently rock back and forth without moving your legs it mimics the muscular reaction and you don't have to push. Try it now and you can see how it works, that way you are more comfortable for that first BM after surgery.
Unread 02-27-2012, 06:42 PM

Fiber, I have coconut covered prunes from the nature store. I put flex seed and granola on my yogurt and drink warm water w/ lemon. I was told to stay away from sugarless candy b/c of something in it that constipates you.

I drink a lot of water or tea instead of soda. I eat more whole grain breads. Also ask your doctor what they suggest too.

Good luck.
Unread 02-27-2012, 07:16 PM

I agree with the Metamucil, I started using that several months ago and absolutely love it! Also my doctor recommended Milk of Magnesia.
Unread 02-28-2012, 01:04 PM

I've always been given Senecot and it works great. Very gentle, no cramping, no ... squirts! Haha!

For me, the first pee is always difficult and they won't let you leave until you do it!
Unread 02-28-2012, 02:36 PM

not a crazy question at all, after my first born i tore from what i call the yay to the nay.......i was beyond scared to go to the bathroom, i was convinced i would blow a stitch and everything would come falling out!

i have this constipation thing on the list of questions to ask the doctor at my visit next week!

good luck to you
Unread 02-28-2012, 02:40 PM

To Amyrup - I had the same experience w/ my first and the BM to follow was dreadful.

Thank you all so much for your responses! I'm going to buy one of everything!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register