Hysterectomy | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 11-18-2001, 06:53 AM
Hysterectomy

Yikes!!!! I go in the hospital tomorrow to have a laproscopic/vaginally assisted hysterectomy. They are going to give me epidural......has anyone else gone through this?? I am really scared!!! Please answer me quick......I have to go November 19th....tomorrow!!!!!!! Help!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2001, 07:15 AM
Hysterectomy

Hi Suziq,
Its very normal to be nervous of this or any surgery, but just think, by tomorrow night you will be resting in your room comfortably with this all behind you.

Epidural is discussed fairly often here, so if you want to do some reading of previous discussions you can do a site search.

Click the little purple search button at the top right of the screen and on the left you can search by keyword. Type in epidural and it will bring up alot of past posts for you to read how other ladies have made out with this.

All the best, and remember we will all be here waiting for you when you are home rested and up to posting.
Hang in there Suziq....your wait is almost over, and you will see here often, the waiting is the worst part!!
Hugs
Maria
Unread 11-18-2001, 07:58 AM
Hysterectomy

A message to tell you not to worry.

The night before surgery, they gave me the choice, epidural or fully under. After asking three nurses, they all told me that patients who chose epidural were doing much better after the surgery. Having been twice for surgeries before, I knew what to expect with a full anethesia, but not epidural. I decided for an epidural and in my case it was a good decision.

My surgery lasted two hours and I do not remember a thing! They put a walkman on my ears, happy drugs in my IV, and there I went in dreams land. This was easier than going to the dentist.

In the recovery room, I was very cold and they put a heathing blanket over me. Within an hour, I recovered the feeling in my lower body and felt good.

I never experienced any pains. My secret, be very relax, avoid body tension., and keep a positive attitude. Best of luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-18-2001, 08:09 AM
re: hysterectomy

I want to thank all you gals that have replied so quickly to my message!!! Wow!! This is such a GREAT site!!! I already feel much better!! Thank God for people like you who care. I'll let you know how it all went when I get back.
Thanks again!!
Suzi-Q
:-)
Unread 11-22-2001, 04:02 AM
Post-Op lavh

Hallelujiah!!! I am finally home. I cant sit for too long, so I'll write more when I am more able. Just wanted to thank the gals that wrote me again.
Unread 11-22-2001, 01:50 PM
Hysterectomy

Welcome home Suziq!!
Wow....that was fast eh? In Monday and home today. Thats great and we look forward to hearing all about your castle stay

Do take care, and get lots of plenty of and then more !!!
So glad all went well Suzi!!
Hugs
Maria
Unread 11-23-2001, 05:52 AM
Post-Op lavh

Hey everybody......I think I am ready to tell my story now!!
On Monday 19th at 8:00am I went to the hospital to check in to have a Laproscopic/assited vaginal hysterectomy. After I got registared, they had to take blood.....of course....now let me tell you about my veins, I have what some people call rolling veins, or moving veins, which means, when they get a good vein, and start stickin the needle in, it moves, and they lose it......what a pain in the butt!!! Anyways, they finally got some blood out of me. Then I went to the 3rd floor, where I got ready for my operation. I had to put on ted stockings, which I hate, to prevent a blood clot from forming in my legs. At 10:00 they wheeled me into the OR, where they gave me anesthesia and made me bend over so they could do an epidural. I remember feeling some pain in my lower back when they did this, then I dont remember anything until it was all over.
When I was in the recovery room, my temp. was only 95, so the nurses packed me in warm towels from head to toe. I was so cold, and my blood pressure was low from the epidural. Finally they wheeled me to my room on the second floor. My husband and Mom were there.....I just vaguely remember. My husband told me afterwards that I was in the OR for 5 hours.....it was only supposed to take 2 or 3 hours. My Doc told me I had a lot of adhesions and a lot of cysts on my ovaries. He managed to save the right one, but had to get rid of the left one.
After my husband, Mom, and my daughter left, I got really sick to my stomache and vomited!! What a rush!! I wasnt in any pain tho', because of the epidural, but my right thumb and pointer and middle fingers were numb from it.....that was weird, but went away after 3 days. I didnt like the epidural, because it hurt my back!!! Otherwise it is great for the initial pain of the operation for the first nite. I whinned until they finally took it out the next morning. I didnt know which hurt worst, my back, or my belly.....tee hee.
Anyways, to make a long story short, I got out of the hospital at 5:00pm Wednesday 21st. I am having a hell of a time staying away from the cigarettes.....I am trying to quit....so far none since Monday!!! I also found out that I am allergic to latex......I got blisters on my belly where the bandaides were......so I cant use the patch to quit either......wish me luck!!!
Luv to all my hyster sisters!!!
Suzi-Q

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register