Post OP TVH Jan 12th | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Post OP TVH Jan 12th Post OP TVH Jan 12th

Unread 01-15-2010, 08:12 AM
Post OP TVH Jan 12th

(thanks to all the ladies providing such great information)

I went in for TVH on the 12th. scheduled for 1:30 - they took me in right on time.

Initially they had trouble getting the IV inserted (had to do it three places.....was getting very worried here - as I was scared to death...)

told the nurses I was very scared - so they started adding 'happy juice' to my IV - and POOOF - I was in recovery. I don't remember going to the OR - or talking to anyone.

Recovery was different than I expected. I kind of expected a nurse by my side - when in reality - recovery was a large room with lots (12?) people in recovery - with nurses scurrying all around. I was getting nauseous - and someone handed me a CUP to throw up in. They moved me to my room - I was not really awake and don't remember that trip down the hall.

I was Real 'out of it' until about 10 pm..... When I woke up - I felt stiff - REALLY AFRAID of the pain - but the severe pain never came (thank Heavens).
I went hom Wed around noon.

It is Friday - and basically doing ok. No giant pain. It is weird that they did all that work - and there is not giant pain.

I have worked a little on my laptop. A nurse friend told me to take stool softeners often during the day - which I have been doing.......no BM yet - but I think TODAY will be the day!

Prayers and good wishes to all the follow hystersisters recoverying.

The WAIT was the worst part....for me anyway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2010, 08:34 AM
Re: Post OP TVH Jan 12th

Welcome, glad you are doing so well and your experience sounds a lot like mine. I had no pain/bleeding anything for 4-5 days, then bam.....not trying to scare you but trying to be real just in case. Around day 4/5 I was bloated, had horrible gas pains, a little UTI, and cramping. Got anitbiotics, stool softener etc. My sister had come to stay and thought "well you're doing so well I can go now" she left and then I needed her lol. Anyway the stool softeners are great idea I didnt' start on them til day 4. Be careful do less than you think you can.

I'm 4 1/2 weeks out back at work, happy not to see aunt flo, but I get frustrated when my body doesn't cooperate. I tried a Leslie Sansone walking tape and didn't even get all the way through it, I was running 3 times a week before and now I can't walk but 10-20 minutes without swelling.

Keep us updated and if the stool softener doesn't work prune juice does!
Unread 01-15-2010, 08:44 AM

wow - thanks for the news. I'd rather know what could be expected than think I am in the clear. I feel a little puffy - not sure if it is the total EAT FEST I had - knowing I had surgery in Jan and 'who cares' what I eat now.....or if I am starting swelly belly. did you swell a lot?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-15-2010, 08:50 AM

Yep came home a little swollen at lower belly, then it got worse as the days went on I started swelling under belly button, like intestinal, I was at my worse weeks 2-3 then started having more normal BM's and less gas bloating, and now still swollen but not so much from gas/bloat, just still from surgery. If I stand a lot, exercise or walk a lot, I swell up and get crampy end of day still. Doc said that's normal and to expect it for a couple more months at least.
Unread 01-15-2010, 09:04 AM

thanks - I will keep bugging you for information - since you are the princess ahead of me. Not a lot of us had the TVH. Which I am VERY happy that I did not have to be cut (on the outside anyway). I turn 50 in March (gag) and I am really hoping to be in bikini shape (valerie Bertenelli and I are the same age.....so I want to be like her - ha).....I was 'almost' there last summer.....not as pretty as in my 20's or 30's - but tired of looking like a hag! lol.

So - in reality (I hate reality!!) - my late march goal could be a little off?
Unread 01-15-2010, 09:20 AM

I would've expected a lot more TVH's when I came here, but I've learned that with many condition the uterus enlarges, my had begun to enlarge, and once it reaches a certain size it's no longer an option. My doc told me if I waited a year (like I was planning on to try other methods of controlling bleeding) that my uterus would be too large to remove. So I opted to get TVH now rather than cut later.

But remember, we still have the same sutures on the inside and a lot of TVH women have complications because they "think" they are more healed than they really are. I'm guilty of this myself. That's why I say do less than you think you can, because you don't have stitches staring back at you to remind you!

I would luv to get into a bikini this summer as well, I'm tall have always had a little flab on my belly (even when I was skinny) but still wear one in my own back yard! : )

I battle the "hag" by pampering the princess, hair, nails, trim the trim ; ), pedicure ha ha and I put on face cream every morning and night religiously!!! Helps me feel like I am aging gracefully!

Hey 50 is the new 35!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register