what do they do at the pre opt .apt . | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what do they do at the pre opt .apt . what do they do at the pre opt .apt .

Unread 02-25-2002, 10:00 AM
what do they do at the pre opt .apt .

what kinds of test do they do at the pre opt apt .
I have mine on the 15th of march
I know they will do blood work
but as I have never had any kind of surgery I am entering a whole new world
and I am worried :abigcry:
and I am a big baby
I don't have any pain
and I don't bleed alot
my ant flow only vists once a month for 3 days
so I am afraid that I will back out of my of my hysterectomy
I need my hysterectomy for pelvic support problems
I am 42 years old
I admaire you ladies for your problems are alot worse than mine and you are dealing with alot more than me
I need alot of support and understanding
I know that I need this but I am sceard and I might back out and I know if I do that later on I will be alot worse than I am now so please help me so I don't "argue: myself out of this as I have three weeks to go and I might :explode:
well thanks for letting me vent
s Ladypeewee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2002, 10:17 AM

I go for my pre-op appt. tomorrow and I don't know what to expect!

The surgeon planned this TAH on the 20th, so I have only had a week's notice.

I remember her saying I would meet the head surgeon and they would take blood.

But, everyone has a different appt. and doctor. Why don't you call the doc and ask? I would, especially since you have a few weeks to wait.

Sara
Unread 02-25-2002, 10:23 AM

LadyPeeWee,

I feel my problems are minor compared to everyone else's too -- bad cramps and possible endo/adeno, but no fibroids or prolapsed anything or periods that last 3 weeks. What keeps me going is 1) remembering how *limited* my life is when I menstruate, and how unpleasant, and 2) being reminded by the lovely ladies here that I don't get to compare myself to anyone else. We are all unique and have our own reasons for this.

So -- if you have any symptoms of pelvic support problems -- I suggest keeping those in mind when you feel doubt. I figure a couple of weeks of medicated pain is worth saving myself years of monthly suffering. My 2 cents.

(I'm terrified too -- started having bad dreams and restless sleep last night, and I have 2 1/2 weeks to go! Ack!)

s

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 02-25-2002, 10:35 AM
pre op

ladypeewee,

Untill a hostess or someone with pre op experience can answer you go to the 8 little purple buttons at the top of the screen, under the Hormone Jungle sign. Click on search, type pre op appointment and test. You will find others who asked the same question and this may be useful to you.

Meanwhile, I know how easy it is to talk yourself out of the surgery especially after reading the other sisters history of bleeding and pain. Perhaps you should concentrate on your problem and read more about what can happen if you cancel this surgery. You have a serious problem and you deserve to have it corrected now before it becomes more severe. This is not optional, this is not cosmetic, this is not elective...do not think light of your situation.

We are so fortunate to live in a country filled with good doctors and the technology to help us. I had relatives years ago who had your condition and always remembered their stories.
Embrace this help and go forward. Best of luck. Keep reading.
Maralyn
Unread 02-25-2002, 11:24 AM

I'm a novice when it comes to surgery also, but have lots of experience where my husband is concerned. His pre-ops are always Bloodwork, Chest Xray, EKG, and then the hospital calls several days prior to ask a bunch of questions and to give final instructions.

My surgery is on 3/11 and I have to go for my preops on Thursday. I'm not looking forward to the surgery or pain involved, but being positive about the quality of my life after.

Don't be too scared we will be pulling for you thru it all. I'm sure there are sisters out there tht will be able to offer you more answers

Unread 02-25-2002, 11:29 AM

Hi ladypeewee, don't worry that your concerns aren't as serious as some others', they are serious to you, or you wouldn't be having the surgery. I assume that by now if you and your DR have decided it's the best thing for you, then that means your life will be a lot better afterwards than it is now. I know mine is and it's only been 3 weeks. I had "pelvic support problems" too - a 3rd degree prolapse; could have done nothing for it and survived, but as my DR said, it could only get worse, not better, without the surgery.

About the pre-op, I'm assuming you mean at the hospital? (Some patients have a separate preop visit with their DR but I didn't, we had already talked about everything when we decided to do the surgery.) Everybody has a slightly different experience but in my case first I went into admitting and sat down with a nurse who described what the surgery would involve, how long it would take, the anesthesia, etc...this is a good time to request to talk with the anesthesiologist if you have concerns there. I did, and they arranged to have him call me the night before the surgery. This was very reassuring. While she was talking with me a technician came and took blood. He was the best ever - it didn't hurt at all. She gave me plenty of time to ask all the questions I wanted to. Then I had to watch a movie about a generic surgical procedure - they didn't show the actual surgery, just explained how you check in, put on a gown, etc., get the IV in, up to the OR, recovery, to your room, the whole drill. Then I had to go over to the financial office and take care of the insurance paperwork so that I wouldn't have to worry about it on the day of the surgery. This was a great thing to get out of the way ahead of time. The whole preop probably took about an hour and a quarter and it was a big relief to have the answers to a lot of questions and have all the paperwork done.

You're lucky, you have the support of a great bunch of ladies going into your surgery. I didn't find out about this site until several days after so there were things I didn't know about ahead of time that would have made it easier if I had. Still my surgery turned out fine overall and so will yours...good luck and lots of

s,

- Linda
Unread 02-25-2002, 01:43 PM

I think every pre-op experience is different... I didn't get a video or a tour :-( hehe

It was all pretty straightforward -- visit admitting, go for bloodwork, get an EKG, get a chest Xray, visit with my doctor and last of all visit with the anesthesiologist, get instructions for preop diet restrictions. A long day.. oh yeah, threw in a mammogram too! A long day, but so glad it is over! Now on to the castle March 5!
Unread 02-25-2002, 01:57 PM

My preop consisted of bloodwork and that is it! I think it depends on the Dr. My instructions prior to surgery were simply nothing after midnight. Take care ladies and best of luck to all of you! Cathy
Unread 02-25-2002, 02:05 PM

I had my pre op visit today. Not much happened. When to admissions. Filled out paper work, gave them my insurance card and a copy of my directive for health care. Then went to see the nurse, who gave me a copy of two pamphlets. One on Hysterectomy and one on pre op (what to expect when you come to the castle for your surgery). Then talked to the anesthesiologist and reviewed the type of anesthesia they used in January for the D & C and did I have any proplems with that. Since I had the D & C in January I didn't need a EKG today (Had one in Same Day Surgery waiting for D & C). They did draw blood again today to do a CBC again and Blood type and cross. Since I have a cold, they will decide on Thursday if I will have the surgery. It is getting better each day, so hopfully it will be ok for Thursday. This waiting is driving me Crazzzzzzzzzzy!!!!

Good Luck and don't worry about the pre op appointment.

Nancy
Unread 02-25-2002, 03:47 PM
thanks ladies I needed that

I want to thank you ladies for everything I will keep coming back as often as I can I don't think I can get through this without some one who understands what I am going thurogh
I will go ahead with the surgery
but I am still a
ladypeewee

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register