Almost 12 weeks, what is "normal"? - Page 4 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Almost 12 weeks, what is "normal"? Almost 12 weeks, what is "normal"?

Unread 08-06-2010, 11:18 PM
Re: Almost 12 weeks, what is "normal"?

Boston50

There is a list somewhere in the site, I remember reading when I joined 2 weeks post op.
No sweeping
No vaccuming
No pushing shopping cart
No lifhting over 5 - 10 lbs
And I dont remember the rest, but there is a do and dont list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2010, 06:48 AM

Yeah I did all the don'ts. I found this site too late I guess.
Unread 08-07-2010, 12:20 PM

This has been very helpful to see others with symptoms weeks after their surgery! I am eight weeks, and I still am using the 'don't' list. Mostly from experience, but the sweeping/vacuuming/pushingcart has to do with the abdominal muscles, which you still need to be careful about using.

I can't even stand or walk for very long! If I go out shopping (not pushing the cart I have learned the hard way!), I will suddenly feel exhausted and like my insides are falling out, and have to go home and lay flat on my back! This often is accompanied with pain, and then spotting again a few hours later.

My doctor told me that six weeks was the 'starting point' for doing back to normal activities. I had assumed before the surgery that I would be up running around like normal, walking three miles a day, at six weeks! Don't pay attention to anyone around you - only yourself!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2010, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by color View Post
This has been very helpful to see others with symptoms weeks after their surgery! I am eight weeks, and I still am using the 'don't' list. Mostly from experience, but the sweeping/vacuuming/pushingcart has to do with the abdominal muscles, which you still need to be careful about using.

I can't even stand or walk for very long! If I go out shopping (not pushing the cart I have learned the hard way!), I will suddenly feel exhausted and like my insides are falling out, and have to go home and lay flat on my back! This often is accompanied with pain, and then spotting again a few hours later.

My doctor told me that six weeks was the 'starting point' for doing back to normal activities. I had assumed before the surgery that I would be up running around like normal, walking three miles a day, at six weeks! Don't pay attention to anyone around you - only yourself!

color, I know exactly what you are going through. I am 7 weeks out and tried doing some laundry and light cooking and was in extreme pain. I have gone to the stores with my husband and what happens to you happens to me everytime. I also thought I would be up and going at 6 weeks doing my usual daily routine. I am 45 years old and have always been healthy and this is the first major surgery I have ever had. I had 2 c-sections but they were a walk in the park compared to this. My husband tells me to listen to my body on a daily basis and that my surgery was not the norm in many ways. But it does get pretty depressing when all my friends and family are out running around enjoying the summer.
Unread 08-07-2010, 01:32 PM

countryliving45, I am just like you! and the heat is not helping either. I was in real good shape before this surgery (I am 52), and have given up on that for now - I will just have to get back in shape once the weather cools! (I am in Alabama!) I go back to the dr for another checkup on Monday - I will post how it goes! At six weeks, my vaginal cuff wound was not healing. Keep cool!
Unread 08-07-2010, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by color View Post
countryliving45, I am just like you! and the heat is not helping either. I was in real good shape before this surgery (I am 52), and have given up on that for now - I will just have to get back in shape once the weather cools! (I am in Alabama!) I go back to the dr for another checkup on Monday - I will post how it goes! At six weeks, my vaginal cuff wound was not healing. Keep cool!
Def. post after your Dr. app.
You keep cool also!!
Unread 08-07-2010, 06:16 PM

So glad to see that its normal to still be swollen!!!!! Its 7 weeks since my TAH (ovaries kept) ,lost 2 kilograms and still cant get into my loose jeans prior to surgery. Looks like I will have to resort to buying new pants.
Unread 08-07-2010, 06:36 PM

I went to Walmart today to run errands with the family. Had stroller and shopping cart. Tried not to push anything, but DH and my mom kept leaving cart in the middle or absently would walk off and leave
me to catch up with the stroller....or DH saying "take the cart to the register I'll be right back" -- mind you with a desk, chair, lamp, and groceries.

I just made sure to push with my legs.

I'd love to stick by that list, but I've had to do stairs, clean counters, clean the high chair, pick stuff up off the floor, etc......I just try to be really conscious of my form, use an abdominal support, and bend at knees, not the waist.

It'd be nice if life/our families would let us do what we needed to in order to get better.......*wishful thinking*
Unread 08-07-2010, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marxbe View Post
Boston50

There is a list somewhere in the site, I remember reading when I joined 2 weeks post op.
No sweeping
No vaccuming
No pushing shopping cart
No lifhting over 5 - 10 lbs
And I dont remember the rest, but there is a do and dont list.

I know I've done too much right from the start. Now at 5 1/2 weeks I am so tired and headachy. I hope this passes over the next few weeks. I'm really going to take it easy. Today I was on-duty at church where I was a greeter. All of sudden I got so tired and headachy that I had to sit down.
Unread 08-07-2010, 11:17 PM

Boston
I also did the dont list...by the time I found it I have done quite a lot, then I stopped altogether. When I go to the store, so I use a recycable bag and when is filled up to the weight that is safe, I stop shopping. It is working for me. Even when I walk distances it is uncomfortable still and I get swollen later in the day. Take it easy is the rule.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register