Heating Pad Post Hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Heating Pad Post Hysterectomy? Heating Pad Post Hysterectomy?

Unread 12-15-2016, 08:33 PM
Heating Pad Post Hysterectomy?

Hi ladies!

I have not gotten a chance to speak with my doctor about this, but I am 7 days post-op and have been icing regularly. Because of my horrible pelvic pain and cramps in the past, I typically slept with a infrared heating pad every night.

I have not wanted to apply heat this first week due to inflammation. I felt that ice would be better, but I know that heat would also help considerably with the aching.

Has anyone talked to their doctor about applying heat; and, if so, what did the doctor recommend?

Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-15-2016, 10:43 PM
Re: Heating Pad?

In the hospital, they gave me heated blankets. So when I got home, I heated a slightly moist towel in the microwave.for a minute and used that. At week 2, I used the heating pad but had it on warm and for only 15 mins max.
Unread 12-16-2016, 01:46 AM

Hi. I have also used a heating pad from day one but only during the day. Your body will talk to you and when it will want it or not. I have also used it to heat up my feet on a rotational basis to my abdomin. It feels great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-16-2016, 04:17 AM

I have used a heating pad since the 2nd week. I have it right now. It has been a lifesaver
Unread 12-16-2016, 04:44 AM

I also have used a heating pad. I think that it worked better than the pain meds. I had a rice bag, and I would heat it up for about 1 1/2 mins in the microwave. It felt soo good.
Unread 12-16-2016, 07:47 AM

I was only cleared to use heat on my back and hips during recovery, unless it was a heating blanket, which doesn't give off nearly as high or direct heat. He explained that direct heat would actually increase the inflammation.
Unread 12-17-2016, 11:16 AM
Re: Heating Pad Post Hysterectomy?

I've used the heating pad a lot since my first day home. But I only use it on my back. And it's heavenly!
Unread 12-17-2016, 11:26 AM

I had asked my doctor about heat vs cold therapy and he told me heat only. He feels it works better. I've used my heating pad a couple of times in my back since I got home from the hospital, but I don't seem to tolerate it as much as I used to. Before the surgery it was my BFF, and now I can only handle it for about 10-15 minutes on the lowest setting before I start to get too warm. I've only used it on my back, not my abdomen. I'm a little concerned that using it on my belly would make the swelling worse. He told me it's fine to use on the belly, just not directly on my incision.
Unread 12-17-2016, 02:04 PM

I thought I felt good enough today to do some sweeping. I was trying to hurry and do it because someone was coming over. By the time I was done, I had yelled at two of my kids, burst into tears and almost passed out. Like blurry-vision, cold sweat, couldn't stand...So, yeah, not time for that yet!
Unread 12-17-2016, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robinlynr View Post
I thought I felt good enough today to do some sweeping. I was trying to hurry and do it because someone was coming over. By the time I was done, I had yelled at two of my kids, burst into tears and almost passed out. Like blurry-vision, cold sweat, couldn't stand...So, yeah, not time for that yet!
Oops! That was for another thread. Sorry!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register