Should I have pain with bowel movement 15 days post hysterectomy? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Should I have pain with bowel movement 15 days post hysterectomy? Should I have pain with bowel movement 15 days post hysterectomy?

Unread 04-08-2017, 08:49 AM
Should I have pain with bowel movement 15 days post hysterectomy?

I had a TAH (kept ovaries) to get rid of very large fibroid just over two weeks ago. Since then I've been having a sharp stabbing pain in the lower right area of my tummy when having a bowel movement. It is now pretty much the only pain that I'm having but it's quite severe and can last for a while after. Has anyone else had this and if so did it get better with time - I'm worried that it is a hernia (and can't face the idea of further surgery).

Thanks! And love this site - it has been my crutch before and after surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2017, 01:44 PM
Re: Should I have pain with bowel movement 15 days post op?

Our bowels tend to be wonky after surgery - sluggish from surgery, effects of pain meds, appetite being off. Even if you're going regularly, you still might have to stay on top of your diet and digestion.

At about 17 days, I woke up one night in a cold sweat, light-headed with severe stabbing pains inside. It turned out to be my bowels churning mightily - and painfully. It really felt like someone was mining rocks with a pickax in there. Everything settled back down and the following day all was well. I attributed it to not getting enough water the day before. Those digestive pains can be very sharp.

Choose foods high in fiber and magnesium: dark leafy greens, whole grains and fiber cereals, nuts, seeds, avocados, dried fruit, fresh fruit, frozen fruit in smoothies, and enough water-water-water to swamp a canoe to keep it all flowing. Otherwise, as I discovered, you're just making rocks. Walking helps keep things moving, too. One more tip, when you're on the throne, prop your feet on a low foot stool. We're built to squat, and bringing our knees above our hips helps to properly align our colon for emptying.

Hope some of this helps!

Unread 04-09-2017, 02:50 AM
Re: Should I have pain with bowel movement 15 days post op?

I agree w Cussette. The GI system is different post op...The intestines have moved where the uterus was, they don't like being handled, hormones all affect digestion. Water, walking, light meals & snacks several times a day. Fiber-apples, prunes, salads, nuts, pumpkin seeds, magnesium. Smoothies are great, add 2 Tbls flax seeds.. Probiotics, kefir, yogurt. Olive oil..Avoid the starchy carbs-potato, pasta, white bread & rice..go lite w them until u feel regulated..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2017, 04:11 AM
Should I have pain with bowel movement 15 days post hysterectomy?

I agree with the 2 previous posters; my bowels were also a little wonky for the first few weeks. Beverage selections that can help include peppermint tea, a glass of warm water with the juice of half a lemon, and a smoothie with almond milk, cherries, magnesium-rich spinach, and ground flaxseeds. Cherries are botanically related to prunes, and can be just as effective, as are dried apricots. Dark chocolate is another excellent source of magnesium. Another of my top tips, to get things moving as nature intended, is to do the "potty squat," as Cussette described it, right after a meal; this stimulates the gastro-colic reflex, in which the stomach tells the brain that it's full, then the brain tells the colon to empty its contents, to make room for the new stuff coming in. Here's hoping you'll be back to 💩 soon!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register