How Many were told their DVH could change to TAH? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How Many were told their DVH could change to TAH? How Many were told their DVH could change to TAH?

Unread 05-03-2012, 10:42 AM
Re: How Many were told their DVH could change to TAH?

I'm post op TVH x 2+ weeks and know this conversation well. (Besides being an Ob/Gyn RN, which really only complicates things for me).

TVH's can become TAH's when/if the fibroids (if any) turn out to be much larger than they looked on ultrasound or embedded to close to where the uterine artery inserts. Now, in saying this, it rarely ever happens, especially since ultrasonography has gotten so good and things like robotics help manage even the big ones. Actually even those without robotics rarely ever get that way.

BUT if your doctor doesn't explain that to every patient as a possibility & obtain their for consent for a TAH should need arise, then his/or her only legal choice, assuming there is not a life threatening situation, is to stop the TVH attempt, wake you up, and reschedule the procedure for another time....you DON"T want that.

So just make sure you trust your Dr. and he/she does not have a record of TVH's turning to TAH's.....ask them "about how many of your vag hysts turn abdominal?'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-03-2012, 11:41 AM

Hello! I was told the same thing. I think it depends on what they find, how everything is "set-up" on the inside when they first have a look. They were able to do the DaVinci despite a large uterus. I had five small incisions which are healing up nicely, a little bit of bruising in the beginning and the far right one was tender for me as well. Best wishes!
Unread 05-03-2012, 02:47 PM

Another factor with the DaVinci is that surgery is done on a tilted table, head down. Before they start the actual surgery, the anesthesiologist will verify that your breathing can be controlled in the head-down position. If you are not stable in that position, then they will not be able to use the DaVinci. I also did not know until I woke up whether I had the Da Vinci or abdominal.
Unread 05-03-2012, 02:49 PM

Wow! Thanks ladies!! I'm going to sleep better knowing that it is common to say it will be one surgery but to be prepared for a different one "just in case"

I love this place!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register