Yyooowww! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 06-08-2006, 08:20 AM
Yyooowww!

Okay...sorry I'll try not to be too graphic BUT letmetellya' - In another post I was goin' on and on about my smooth sailin' BM situation - I had a sytem - lots of water and a lil Metamucil - well, so much for that idea...I changed meds and became the "C" word for two days (lucky the sitchiation changed this morning ) and OMG it was NOT fun!

My inner Dr. was telling me when I switched meds to "up the fiber intake" well, I didn't listen. So, here's my advice ladies..either stay on a "soft" diet for a while OR be sure and take your softeners ! LOL UUUGH.

P.S. I NEVER imagined 3 weeks ago I'd be talking so candidly to people...let alone "strangers".....about my bowel (or lack of) habits! LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2006, 08:26 AM
Yyooowww!

I know how you feel. I am 3 1/2 week post op and my bowel movemets hurt my pelvic area.
Unread 06-08-2006, 08:31 AM
Yyooowww!

They still hurt me a little too, if I forget to take my colace. Funny how our modesty went out the door huh?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-08-2006, 08:37 AM
Yyooowww!

Yeah, I am truly a very modest person....But at the hospital that went out the window...I was like "hey lady, lookie there-did I pop a staple??" LOL Just throwin my gown up!

And yeah, I am 8 days post-op and I too have noticed that the smallest gas bubble or signs of BM - KILL my pelvic area! Hope that changes.
Unread 06-08-2006, 08:44 AM
Yyooowww!

Get some phazyme for the gas!!!! In the hospital NOTHING worked for it, but I've been taking it at home at the first sign of gas pains. It works so fast & dissolves whatever gas you don't toot out. I use this in addition to the colace (stool softener).
Unread 06-08-2006, 08:47 AM
Yyooowww!

Quote:
Originally Posted by itstime
Get some phazyme for the gas!!!! In the hospital NOTHING worked for it, but I've been taking it at home at the first sign of gas pains. It works so fast & dissolves whatever gas you don't toot out. I use this in addition to the colace (stool softener).

Does phazyme work better than Gas-X? And how quick does Colace work? The Metamucil takes 12+ hours to "produce"...had it on hand at house so that's why I am using it instead of something else.
Unread 06-08-2006, 09:10 AM
Yyooowww!

Well I started taking the colace right when I got home from the castle, 48 hours after surgery around noon & had a bm sometime in the evening. I didn't rush it & didn't want to strain the least little bit. It just fell right out, lol. Can't believe I'm having this conversation, lol. I have just been taking one or two a day to keep it constant. (I forgot one day & paid for it). It isn't like it kicks in & makes you go real soon, it softens whatever you need to get out when it's ready. Oh yes the phazyme works much better than gas x, or whatever it was I was given at the castle. I have no idea how expensive it is, my friend brought it for me. I took 2 at a time.

If it's difficult for you to have someone go to the store for you, maybe you can double the metamucil dosage to speed things up. I had to take metamucil alot when I was a kid, the thought of it just makes me shudder now, lol.

Oh & the colace I have was prescription of a friend, so I don't know if it's available over the counter or not. You might want to call pharmacy and/or doc before venturing out.
Unread 06-08-2006, 09:19 AM
Yyooowww!

Oh my! The stuff we talk about here! Isnt it just great!! I am happy to say that I am almost regular--but let me tell ya, if I forget the fiber or dont get enough fruits I am in trouble! But I can honestly say, that now my bowel problems are almost history! Yea!!!
Unread 06-08-2006, 09:33 AM
Yyooowww!

Colace is available over the counter and is very cheap.

I'm happy to report my bowels are fully operational, SIR!

To those of you still struggling with pain on BM...hang in there.....it DOES get better and gradually those pains go. It's so hard when you can't/don't want to push, but that will soon pass and you will be able to help things along a little bit with gentle pushing. Just let your body guide you, and don't rush if you don't feel comfortable.
Unread 06-08-2006, 09:45 AM
Long History with questions, please HELP!

I cannot believe my first post on this forum is under the "bowel movement" thread! LOL! But here it goes my history and then a question...., I am 6 days post op(surgery 6/2), TAH due to endo, fibroids, and adhesions. I had a post op complication on Monday (3 days post op) and ended up back in the hospital due to Atelectasis (partial collapsed lung) b/c of of respirator use and poor nursing care afterward (didn't tell me to use spirometer). So my post op has not followed the normal course, I have taken colace every day except Monday when I couldn't breathe, and I have also had a glass of juice with Mirilax (sp?) and a high fiber diet the few days I have been able to eat BUT still no BM at all since the morning of surgery! I am scared to death at this point to take anything else or even try. What should I do? I still have pain meds (though am weaning off quickly) should I take a dose and just go for it or wait for it to just come out?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, this forum has been so helpful!

thanks, eli

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register