Going back to work: 2 weeks too soon? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Going back to work: 2 weeks too soon? Going back to work: 2 weeks too soon?

Unread 08-07-2006, 05:41 AM
Going back to work: 2 weeks too soon?

Today I go back to work fulltime, I own a day care and 2 weeks off is about as much as I can ask for. Has anybody else gone back this soon? I'm looking at about 9 hour day my 7 year old twins and 5 daycare children ages 4, 3, 2, 1, and 9 months. I talked to my DR last week felt awful on Thursday he said I was doing too much and to take it easy. I took his advice and felt great by Friday night. I feel guilty taking anymore time off because I feel fine now. I hope I can keep going all week. Any advices on what to do if you have to work before you’re really ready? My post-op appointment is this Friday.
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2006, 05:45 AM

Honestly, I don't see how you're going to do this. You need time to recover. If you don't take the time now, sooner or later, probably sooner, your body is going to force you to take it easy. You shouldn't be lifting babies either or chasing toddlers.
Unread 08-07-2006, 06:20 AM

oh dear. You really cannot get any more time off? I hope in that case yr bosses and coworkers will help you out, not make you lift anything, and be understanding of your needs. Also what I do when I'm extra tired is go out to my car during lunch break and nap, and set my cell phone to wake me. I know it's kinda kooky but better than utter exhaustion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-07-2006, 06:39 AM

went back after 2 1/2 weeks part time and this week I go back full time. It has been 4 1/2 weeks since my surgery and I can say these ladies are right. I rushed it and after I get some stuff cleared up I'm going to see if I can take some more time off because I really need it. I am exhausted and feel like a hag. Do what you must and rest in the evenings. I

Teresa
Unread 08-07-2006, 12:20 PM

Called my Mom and Dad in for help, they are great and will be here half the day through Wed. This is the first time I have had bad cramps called doc, he is out office until Wed will see me then, the nurse said to take Tylenol and if I start to bleed go to the emergency room (not much help). I will get off my feet ASAP; the family will be on its own this week in the evenings the fact is I have to work, when you’re self-employed your options are somewhat limited
Chrissy
Unread 08-07-2006, 12:32 PM

Oh gosh ... if you don't have more time off now, you'll end up being off work for 6 times longer, sooner rather than later ...

You say you own a Day Care? Pleeeease put yourself first right now or you'll end up with real complications.

I've just read your last post, before posting this ... you won't be able to work at all if you go back to work so soon after major surgery. Believe me, the first weeks of healing are vital ... and complete healing takes months.

Please don't do this ...

Unread 08-07-2006, 12:40 PM

It's summer time, could you hire a teen to help you out? I couldn't imagine looking after so many children so soon. I'm 2 1/2 months out and this past week I've had to help DD move, work and look after her 2 kids (her father-in-law was in hospital all last week and passed away on Fri.) I was so exhausted and swelly! I even got that "bowling ball in the belly" feeling by the weekend. I have my grandkids today for the funeral, but then I will rest up.
A teen is about the cheapest help and could do the "chasing" for you.
I sure hope you find a solution.
Unread 08-07-2006, 03:41 PM

I went back to work for a few hour a day after two weeks and I am now at three weeks tomorrow and had a checkup with my Dr today and she told me I was moving around to much (I have a desk job) so now I will only be going in every other day for two hours only, I don't think it is wise for you to go back please try to get help so that you can heal it is a slow process..TAH/BSO...Good luck.
Unread 08-07-2006, 06:16 PM

The day is over and I feel Like **** there is no way I will be able to keep this up. I have called another day care provider who has used assistants in the past and she is making calls tonight, hopefully she will come through with someone who is licensed and can do the majority of the work. I will also look into teens, great idea I never thought of it. I really love the kid's I watch, if I take an extended leave I could possible lose them and most of them I've had since they were infants. I am concerned about me, but I did feel soooo good this weekend and it's depressing to know I have such a slow process to look forward to. I really thought with the LAVH things would go much faster after all I was only in the castle 24 hours and everyone acts like this really isn’t a big deal. I guess it's another live and learn situation.
Thanks for the support.
Chissy
Unread 08-07-2006, 06:33 PM

This is a "huge" thing......You had major surgery! Your body absolutely needs the time to heal. Please take care of yourself and do not lift those babies! You have to take care of you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register