What to say to nosy co-workers about the surgery? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What to say to nosy co-workers about the surgery? What to say to nosy co-workers about the surgery?

Unread 09-14-2006, 03:10 PM
What to say to nosy co-workers about the surgery?

My boss knows I'm having surgery, but she doesn't know what type of surgery (I didn't tell her and she didn't ask). She will have to find someone else in our unit to cover for me so the rest of my unit will know that I'm on leave. What do I say to them? Any suggestions? I'm not comfortable with telling them that I'm having a hysterectomy and I doubt they would guess it anyway (I look young and they think I'm in my mid-twenties).

I don't want to be rude but I keep to myself as it is so I really don't want to share this with them especially since I know they're nosy and don't actually care.

Any suggestions for what to say when people ask me why kind of surgery or why am I going to be out? My surgery is in two weeks for excessive bleeding, fibroids, adenomyosis, and precancer on cervix.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2006, 03:33 PM

Can you just say -- "I'm really not comfortable talking about it with anyone right now, but thanks for your concern"
(even thought you KNOW they're not really concerned)
Unread 09-14-2006, 04:32 PM

The reason for my absence was on my FMLA paperwork so everyone knows that is in position to know. I work at the customer service desk of a major food retailer and everything is taken care of in-store ie medical leave, vacaion, termination and ect. I would say if you don't have to reveal the information I sure wouldn't
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-14-2006, 06:01 PM

Hi butterflyboo - I don't work so I don't have to deal with co-workers, sorry, but I did want to say hi since we are having our hysts the same day. I'll be so glad for it to all be over.
Unread 09-14-2006, 06:14 PM

I told my boss I had to have surgery and she asked for what. I told her it was female and she asked what kind. (she's a little suspicious) I didn't mind telling her, b/c for me this is a good thing!

There are a few others that know that it's "female" but no more details. I personally don't care, I told her to use her discretion as people ask. But I know that there is one guy and his wife who have just lost 2 pregnancies so I'm careful around him.

If you're not comfortable, just tell them you'll be out on medical leave. they don't need to know more anyway.

At some point though, my company was going to find out because the claim form for short term disability asks for the diagnosis, etc.

Unread 09-14-2006, 06:24 PM

Butterflyboo I too am a little reluctant to go into the whole thing with the nosey ones too. I understand how you are feeling. What I have been telling them is that I am having some reconstrctive surgery..which is correct since I am having a bladder suspension and rectocele repair along with the TVH. Funny, though I hear through the well oiled rumor mill that I am doing everything from a nose job, face lift, boob job, and tummy tuck all at the same time. I did share with my very kind and understanding supervisor...she knows and understands the real story.
Unread 09-14-2006, 06:37 PM

When people would ask me, I just said I had some things that needed to be taken care of and they are now..
Unread 09-14-2006, 06:48 PM

Butterfly boo and Jazzyloo...I am a September 28ther too! Can't wait to be done. I inadvertently sent my boss a email meant for my sister...he now knows all the sordid details! But is very supportive and understanding and wants me to take all the time I need. As for the other co-workers almost all men...they havent asked yet but I thought I would tell them I am having a renovation. ( we renovate kitchens)
Two weeks and counting girls...here's hoping we all sail thru with ease!
Stacy
Unread 09-14-2006, 07:17 PM

Hi Butterflyboo-
I know people are nosy, but at my former employer nobody was able to ask about medical leaves, because of the Health Information Privacy Protection Act, I know it is hard to say I'm going out and it's none of your business, but if the people are not close to you, you owe them no explanation, Take the time and don't regret it or feel you owe anyone any niceties just a great big "Thanks I feel great" when you return in tip top shape! Maybe even send a nice thank you card for covering things while you recoop - But No details if you don't feel like it.
Unread 09-14-2006, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stacym47
Butterfly boo and Jazzyloo...I am a September 28ther too! Can't wait to be done. I inadvertently sent my boss a email meant for my sister...he now knows all the sordid details!
OMG!!!! I'm sorry but that really made me laugh, thank you very much!!
You know, it does comfort me to 'meet' others who will going through it the same day.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register