Two quick questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Two quick questions Two quick questions

Unread 07-20-2001, 05:41 AM
Two quick questions

First - my doctor's receptionist told me that stairs would be no problem after a vaginal hysterectomy. Now I don't expect to leap up them, but my bedroom is upstairs. Will this cause a problem?
Second - does it matter if I have my period the day of my surgery?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2001, 05:53 AM
Two quick questions

Im not too sure about the stairs since I dont have any but I think you can go up and down them but not too often the first few days. If you can stay downstairs until then, I would imagine it would be better. I had an abdominal hysterectomy and what steps I had to go up and down I did very slowly. As for being on your period..... I was on mine. I told my doc before hand and he said no problem. I had already stopped bleeding by the time I left the hospital. Again, Im not sure if the same stand for vaginal surgery. I would ask your doctor personally if you can between now and the day of your surgery or ask his nurse instead of talking to a receptionist. They will tell you all what you can and cant do before you leave the hospital. Some of the main things are take baths, have sex or use tampons, lift, bend, etc...... I am restricted of these things for 6 weeks. Even afterwards I will be careful not to over do it as hard as it may be. Just check with your doc. They will tell you all you need to know.
Good luck!
Unread 07-20-2001, 07:25 AM
Hi Sandy

My doctor told me VERY limited stairs, my bedroom was upstairs also, I slept on the couch for the first two weeks and did not use the steps at all, thank god I have a bathroom downstairs!!! after two weeks I did the stairs (slowly) and mabey once a day tops!! as far as your period, like all other "events" in my life I started EARLY, actually the day before surgery, this was a huge disapointment since I celebrated my LAST period the month before!!! I called the dr.s office and they laughed and said it happens all the time, and YES surgery would still go as planned! they removed my panties and pad after they put me out! so I wore it right into surgery! Good luck with your surgery and as you have read before, the waiting truly is the worse part!!!
Kelly TVH June 12
endo, fibroids, cysts, adhesions
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-20-2001, 01:34 PM
Two quick questions

Dear Sandy,

My doc said I could do stairs (in moderation) right away (our bedroom is upstairs). I only did it once down in the a.m. & then once back up at nite, slowly and hanging on to the handrail.

Sending cyberhugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register