Any other teachers feeling guilty? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any other teachers feeling guilty? Any other teachers feeling guilty?

Unread 04-05-2008, 08:50 PM
Any other teachers feeling guilty?

I've been lurking around on this website for many months now. After one laproscopic removal of a cyst back in January, and a hysterscopic removal of a fibroid, I'm finally scheduled for my hysterecomy. I have a fibroid compressing on my ureter and it needs to come out. The uterus that is! I wish my date was earlier, since I teach school. Are there any other teachers out there feeeling quilty?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2008, 06:19 AM

I don't think that you should feel guilty; your health is as important as anyone else's. And, once you are recovered, just think how much better you should feel. That should be good for your students too

I'm not a teacher but my DD is. I'd want her to be able to take care of her health needs without guilt.

When you get a chance, if would be helpful if you would add your surgery date to your profile. It would also add you to the "Best Wishes" for that day

S
Unread 04-06-2008, 01:32 PM

I did feel SO guilty! I teach Kindergarten and the kids are so bonded with me that I knew they would have a hard time with me being gone so long (4 weeks) BUT if I did not have mine done ASAP my doc would not have been able to do a TVH as well as dealing with all that was causing the need for a hys. It was in MY best intrests to have it done when I did.

The kids did find. My sub was a cert. teacher that helped the kids by having them make me big signs/notes as well as having them keep a journal of what they were learning. (I wrote all of the lesson plans but they so wanted to "tell" me what they learned!)

We are human first and as such must put our needs first.

Good luck!

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2008, 01:43 PM

Hi
I teach 10 year olds and had a SAH in December. I felt very guilty when I realised how much time I had to take off, in fact I cried.

Then , having thought it through, and started planning, everything became clear, and I knew it was in everyone's interests to have the op. and get back stronger.

I think we all believe no one can teach our kids like we can, and thats why we are teachers.

I was off for a full 10 weeks, although only 5 of those were teaching weeks. I had to come back part time after that...and am only now 100%(kind of).

Please dont feel guilty - the kids will be fine, and appreciate you more when you go back.

My class have important tests coming up in a few weeks, so I suppose the proof will be in their results, but believe me - after being back for just a few days, they could hardly remember I was gone...lol.

Teaching is not some magical vocation, your health really must come first...

take care
x
Unread 04-07-2008, 07:19 AM

I would definitely not feel guilty! I'm on the other side of the desk, so to speak. I'm a graduate student in a nurse practitioner program. I have had my hysterectomy scheduled for May 12 since back in Feb. I had no choice but to wait for my 4 week summer break to have the surgery, or else I would have to lose a year of school. My program goes in a certain order, so I would not be able to restart until the same time the following year! If I had a choice, I would definitely have had my surgery ASAP. I have concerns that by the time May 12 rolls around, TVH will no longer be an option. Do what you need to do for your health and I am sure your students will understand. Good luck to you!
Unread 04-07-2008, 08:26 AM

I teach kindergarten and had LSH over our spring break, last Wed. My doc. told me that I would be back in commission in a week. Well, it's been 5 days and I know I won't be going back for a couple of weeks. (Doc found that my uterus was adhered to my bladder and I'm REALLY anemic.) My school is taking care of things for me and I really don't have anything to worry about, but I'm feeling GUILTY. I am very attached to my little guys and am afraid that my class will be a mess and the kids will miss something important. We're not even through all the letters. I've been getting progressively more miserable for years now, but the past few months were substantially worse, so waiting until summer wasn't something I really wanted to do. So, I guess the answer is, YES, I feel horribly guilty, but this is what I have to do to make myself feel better. My kids, both at home and school, deserve more than what I've been feeling like giving them. I'll do better when I feel better. OK, someone validate this...
Unread 04-07-2008, 08:25 PM

I teach 5 year olds at a Montessori school and my TAH-BSO is this Friday. I wish I could have put it off until I'm off for the summer!
Unread 04-07-2008, 09:01 PM

No guilt here. I missed 3 weeks right before our big state assessment - you know, the no child left untested (I mean behind) thing. Didn't have much of a choice. Of course I have a big head and don't think anyone can teach MY students as well as I can, but they did just fine for the sub. (I teach middle school). I told my students that they could email me if they needed help and I did check my email fairly often so I could stay in contact with parents.

The good thing is that now I'm a better teacher than I was before surgery. I was just so tired all the time. I didn't have the energy to teach the way I wanted. Now I do.

In the long run, it was better for my students for me to take care of myself and miss some work time.
Unread 04-08-2008, 08:25 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm feeling better about my upcoming surgery, especially since my symptoms are getting more bothersome! I'm hoping for a LSH, but I have a feeling a SAH is in my future. Time will tell! I'm fastforwarding our school work and doing the things I don't want to miss with the class now! I just need this over with, so I can think of something else!!!
Unread 04-08-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janemo
Thanks everyone. I'm feeling better about my upcoming surgery, especially since my symptoms are getting more bothersome! I'm hoping for a LSH, but I have a feeling a SAH is in my future. Time will tell! I'm fastforwarding our school work and doing the things I don't want to miss with the class now! I just need this over with, so I can think of something else!!!
I am a preschool teacher. I had to schedule my TVH one week after classes get out for the summer. My dr. scheduled it two weeks away, but I just could not stand the thought of not getting to see my graduates that I have had for the past two years leave for kindergarten......... I am so looking forward to feeling better for next school year and being pain free!!!

Good luck to you and take care of yourself!!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register