Upcoming hysterectomy 1/21: should I start taking any GAS X or stool softener BEFORE? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 1/21: should I start taking any GAS X or stool softener BEFORE? Upcoming hysterectomy 1/21: should I start taking any GAS X or stool softener BEFORE?

Unread 01-18-2016, 12:44 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 1/21: should I start taking any GAS X or stool softener BEFORE?

I am having my surgery on Thursday and I'm wondering if I should start taking any GAS X or stool softener BEFORE I go in for my procedure? ..will that help my recovery..?
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2016, 12:57 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 1/21: should I start taking any GAS X or stool softener BEFORE?

I had a TAH on December 10th. I did not take anything except the doctor had me take a dose of milk of magnesia the night before. I started taking both of them as soon as I got home. Hope I helped.
Unread 01-18-2016, 01:51 PM
Re: Questions before TAH Jan 21st

Have you discussed this with your doctor? I had a specific bowel prep that I had to do prior to my TAH in December. They may have instructions you need to follow prior to surgery. If they don't, I'd ask them before taking anything prior to surgery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-18-2016, 01:52 PM

You need to ask your doctor about *anything* you take in the two weeks before surgery, not just the GasX but also any medications, OTCs, vitamins and supplements.

The other thing you should be aware of is that not everyone needs GasX and/or stool softeners immediately after surgery. I was fine for the first three days - and then on the fourth day, I got diarrhea! So it's a good thing I *wasn't* taking anything.

I didn't need to deal with things starting to get a bit too firm until 3-4 weeks after surgery. When that happened I dealt with the situation using Traditional Medicine's Smooth Move tea.
Unread 01-18-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yemiswife View Post
I am having my surgery on Thursday and I'm wondering if I should start taking any GAS X or stool softener BEFORE I go in for my procedure? ..will that help my recovery..?
Any thoughts are appreciated.
Never do a bowel prep, or take any stool softener or GAS X, unless your doctor has asked you to do this. This is VERY, VERY IMPORTANT and your health depends on it. If your doctor wants you to do a bowel prep, he or she will ask you to do one and give you specific instructions. A bowel prep is surgery dependent and doctor preference. Not all ladies do one for their surgery. Please read this article:

Should I Do a Bowel Prep before Hysterectomy?

This also goes for after surgery as well. Your doctor will give you specific instructions. Following your doctors orders to the letter is a must, both before and after surgery.

Unread 01-19-2016, 10:21 AM

It's what you do after your surgery that really counts as far as gas and constipation are concerned. You'll likely be prescribed a stool softener, and you can ask your surgeon about taking something for the gas. Also start walking as soon as you can, and have some peppermint tea, both of which will work against both issues. For the gas, also try fennel seeds, and avoid gassy foods; that includes legumes, onions and garlic, cabbage and its relatives, cucumbers, melons, pears, and artificial sweeteners. For the constipation, try supplementing your diet with magnesium; food sources include leafy greens, whole grains, nuts and seeds, and dark chocolate. Best wishes for your upcoming surgery!
Unread 01-19-2016, 09:02 PM

Thank you..my doctor actually did prescribe me something today at my pre op and she told me that because she's doing an abdominal procedure and not a laproscopic,she doesn't have to "inflate" my insides so hopefully that means not much gas..lol..thanks all for the well wishes!
Unread 01-20-2016, 06:22 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 1/21: should I start taking any GAS X or stool softener BEFORE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by yemiswife View Post
Thank you..my doctor actually did prescribe me something today at my pre op and she told me that because she's doing an abdominal procedure and not a laproscopic,she doesn't have to "inflate" my insides so hopefully that means not much gas..lol..thanks all for the well wishes!
Good luck on your surgery. I had a TAH and was not bothered by a lot of gas like I was when I've had laproscopic. I hope it is the same for you.
Unread 01-20-2016, 06:56 AM

That's good to hear because I had a laproscopic myomectomy in 2012 and was in AGONY..because of the gas and I had other problems with that surgery..I'm praying for a much better outcome this time!
Unread 01-20-2016, 07:43 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 1/21: should I start taking any GAS X or stool softener BEFORE?

Hi yemiswife -

If you are having an abdominal surgery, they will not inflate you with gas. I had a TAH BSO, and no gas was used. But, you will still want to stay away from gassy and spicy foods post surgery, as your bowels will have been jostled around during surgery and they will not be real happy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register