Update/Lydia's Surgery Cancelled Again | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Update/Lydia's Surgery Cancelled Again Update/Lydia's Surgery Cancelled Again

Unread 03-06-2002, 09:42 AM
Update/Lydia's Surgery Cancelled Again

Hello Everyone:
Thought i needed to come and post why Surgery was cancelled and that i didn't even receive a re-schedule date for surgery

I must go back to four weeks ago. I was so happy to learn that my doctor had said he would do the surgery, and his boss agreed to be there as well to be on surgical team. After two weeks passed, I decided to call the hospital and see if funding/authorization had gone through. When i called the hospital and was connect with switchboard operator she had said that by the Admission Record I had an appointment scheduled, but of course that was not the appt i was looking to find out about, it was with my Neurologist on March 1st,but she said she would connect me to the Admissions Dept and they could give me further information. After being connected, I began to because i had finally had surgery scheduled, which the admissions clerk at the hosp told me the funding had been received because surg was schedule. I was so happy, I couldn't stop crying.Then she connected me to Pre-op dept to get a date when I could come and have pre-op done. The date was Feb27th for sugery but i needed to come in on Feb 25th for pre-op and my appt in pre-op was 10:00a.m. on the 25th of Feb. Upron arriving I checked in signed all required documents fro admission to hosp.I gave the Admissions Clerk med directives and so forth,finally they called me and my mom back, a little bit after 12noon,boy what a long wait.They took bloodwork and my blood pressure. I spoke with Pre-op nurse and started to have a puzzled look on her face after calling o.r. booking. I thought to myself,what is wrong now? She looked bacck to me and my mom and said that o.r. booking doesn't have me scheduled for hyst on Feb 27,then the nurse started calling surgeons and seeing what happened,why the change? then she called my physician,and he said there was some miscommunication,but surgery is scheduled March 6th. I was ok as long as i recieve a date. The nurse handed the phone over to me and i spoke with my physician,he sincerely apologize for the mix up ,it seemed somehow to happen with hospital,but he said i promise will do your surgery next week March 6th. Next we ,my mom and I spoke with anesthesiologist,went over allergies,meds and so forth..The surgery was on.I received instruction about pre to be done for surgery. March4th got call from Physician to make sure i had started my clear liquids,and also to do bowel prep mornings of March 5 and 6th. On March 5th , tuesday, i had received calls all day as to time of surgery. First pre-op said 1p.m.,then 2p.m,then for me to be at hosp at 5:45am then called at 5:30 and said sugery was back at 1p,but before they called and told me this. I received a call from Admission Dept saying, "I Repeat, your surgery has been cancelled, it has not been authorized and for me not to come for surgery..THey called me at 4:41 p.m. on Tuesday to tell me this. After 2 days of clear liquids and then doing bowel prep,they tell me the surgery has been cancelled..Then they tried to put it on the Clinic i go to..It was the most devastating news anyone could ever get. After being mentally prepared and suffering all week and then taking my last vicodin on tuesday they call and tell me this..Needless to say i just hung up in the Admissions Clerks face. I asked why did you have me come in and sign papers for admission schedule me for pre-op,wait for me to go through 2 days of clear liquids and bowel prep and then spring this on me?I have already told so many people that the surgery was scheduled? I was furious, i asked to speak with someone more knowledgable than her,she said there is no one else..She said she was the one handling things. I want to speak with my doctor. He is not available and i don't show him listed with beeper number. I told her You will get in touch with him..she said,if she had a chance she would or if she was able to ...which to me meant she wasn't going to..Needless to say i was devastated,and still am..Pre-op called back and said yes, it has been cancelled,not postponed just cancelled.She said those things happen around here alot that she sees. She told me that my doctor was madder than a hornet.Everything had to be set up specially for me because i have a latex allergy. My doc went and talked with admissions clerk who told me the info and i hope he gave her a piece of his mind. I called a coord at home on her cell and said this is an emergency my surgery was just cancelled 10min to 5p.m. after prepping for surgery and all. Today she is doing footwork for me trying to find out what occured.She has never experienced this happening in her whole life. So i an awaiting her return call. BUt today is hard because the phone is constantly ringing and people wanting to know why it was cancelled. I have to go over the same story over and over again,it is so frustrating..well, now you know..thank you for being there for me.. as events happen i will keep you posted AGAIN.
i can't tell you how much i appreciate your support.
With love Lydia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2002, 09:54 AM

Lydia -- I can only imagine this is hard. Oh!! I feel so frustrated and sad for you but pray you can find the strength through your faith, your family, and your friends to fight this until you get a date and soon. I am certain it is hard to have to keep saying this over and over -- write is down as best you can, too, to have a good log of all this.

Keep us all posted.
Blessings and prayers and peace,
Margie
Unread 03-06-2002, 10:03 AM
Hugs!!! Lydia...

Lydia, my heart breaks for u hun...

How much does one have to take???

I know its hard to hear, but please don't give up..stay on them until they do give u a date for your surgery. Try to keep your head up, something has must be done for u and soon...

I don't understand why they would have u go through with the bowel prep and everything else...how horrible!!!

We, are here for you... lots of support too!!! I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers....

Soon, I hope and pray you get the answers to all your questions..
And, that they set a date for you to have your surgery and stick with that date!!!

Take care sweetie!!! And try to stay strong something will work out for you soon!

sisterly love,

alisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-06-2002, 10:48 AM

s Lydia!!!

I am so sorry about all you have had to go through. I could maybe see the cancellation happening once, but happening twice plus having to do the preps, just sounds so unreal & cruel.

I'm sure all the questions from friends isn't making it any easier, but just keep in mind that you are blessed with friends who care or else they wouldn't be calling.

Hang in there, sweetie. Like you told me last night, everything you've had to go through has made you stronger. So, try to keep positive thoughts. (I know it's tough.)

Pam
Unread 03-06-2002, 10:53 AM

((((Lydia))))

That just sounds so miserable! I'm so sorry. What a crummy situation to be in. I hope it all gets straightened out and they get you in ASAP.

s,

Melissa
Unread 03-06-2002, 10:59 AM
update/heard back from hosp coordinator

Hello: Quick update

It is 2:07p.m. here in Florida and just heard back from Coordinator of Program within hospital.

SHe says she called around and that the Doctor called and got his okay,but the surgery was not approved, and since this hospital is a teaching hospital and that my Physician is also out of an area known here as the University of South Florida,there is a Dept of Ambularatory Surgery that gives approval for County to do Surgery,but for some odd reason they didn't approve surgery but gave Doctor okay and that is why the surgery was scheduled.

She gave my cell number to this lady who is manager of this company who approves the surgeries with County Programs and said she would be calling me and telling me why it had not yet been approved. Also this company had not done any call backs in 3 weeks and my information was just sitting there. The coord of hospital says it has happened before.

So now my problem is with this company who okays the surgeries for the county,again,as soon as i hear update and the lady calls i will let you know.

I am just trying to get through this.
Lydia email me if and when you like lydia2happy34@aol.com
Unread 03-06-2002, 11:50 AM

s Lydia
Oh Sweetie, I am so sorry that you are having to go through all this. That is so cruel to make you go through two days of clear liquids, and bowel prep, and then cancell the surgery.
Please don't give up, keep fighting.
I will be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.
Please continue to keep us updated on what you find out.
Take Care Hon
Love & s
Unread 03-06-2002, 11:52 AM
Hope Its a Go!!!

Well Lydia, this is somewhat of good news... Keep up the positive thinking and keep the faith .... Sounds as if, you are getting some of the answers you where looking for....

And, soon I hope you'll will be posting that they have given you a date for your surgery... Again, still keeping you in my prayers...

alisa
Unread 03-06-2002, 02:31 PM

I can't imagine what you are going through! I would be mad as #$#@@$! My prayers are with you
Unread 03-06-2002, 02:40 PM

(((((((((Lydia))))))))))))

I am so very sorry that this is happening to you. Take the phone off the hook or make someone else answer it or put a message on the machiene that you just don't feel like talking right now. Your friends will understand,if they choose not to then tough for them. You are the priority at this point. The anger, resentment, frustration and sense of injustice has finally reached its limit with you. You need to go somewhere quiet, warm and cozy then allow yourself to cry your heart out or beat the stuffing out of the nearest pillow. Hug yourself until your arms are weary, pour kindness and love onto yourself for you need mending. What this hospital did to you is inexcusable and you have every right to be absolutely furious so feel what you must for as long as you must and then fight with everything you have left inside of you.
Its a remarkable phenomenon, everytime people like you are knocked to the ground you don't stay down. You refuse to accept what other people would accept as par for the course and give up. I am so proud of you Lydia! I know its horribly hard and its terribly unfair but you musn't give up or 'they' will win. You are so worth fighting for!
You will be kept in my most earnest prayers.
Tender hugs and earnest prayers,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register