futon versus couch | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

futon versus couch futon versus couch

Unread 06-12-2004, 09:35 PM
futon versus couch

I normally sleep on a futon just a couple inches off the floor. My bedroom is upstairs near the bath with shower, the other option is the couch downstairs near the bath with a tub only.

Do either one sound like a better option?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-12-2004, 11:28 PM
futon versus couch

Hmm... thinking back to my first few days home... I was very glad to have a bed that allowed me to be feet on the floor when I sat on the side of the bed, yet not have to hoist myself up in order to get out of it.

I'd like to suggest that whichever you choose that you have something nearby that is steady, sturdy, and a handy height for you to grab onto so that your arms can help you up and down. Needs to be something that won't scoot out from under your grip. Some gals use a kitchen chair turned around backwards, so that they can hold the back of the chair like they would the rails of their hospital bed.

Any chance you have a recliner that might serve as a sleeping place for the first few days until you're more mobile?
Unread 06-13-2004, 05:14 AM
futon versus couch

Hi w0lfwoman;
I slept on a futon for about a week after I got home. My husband set it up downstairs for me so I didn't have to climb the stairs. We have a bathroom downstairs with nothing my a sink and toilet. (Our only shower/tub is upstairs).
After a day I went up the stairs very slowly with my husbands help to take a shower. (He stayed in the bathroom with me in case I needed him).
I don't think you will be allowed a bath (Check with your doctor) so you may want to be closer to the shower ..... I liked being downstairs with my family. I could lay on the futon or sit in my recliner and didn't have to yell down if I needed something!
Good luck & best wishes to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-13-2004, 06:20 AM
making the tub a shower

I don't know if they make them anymore-I used to have this rubber hose with a shower attachment on the end. It would fit onto the bathtub faucet with this big rubber cone thing, and then you could hold it and have a shower. Maybe checking at a hardware store.
Or, I would think if you get a plastic lawn chair or a shower bench you could sit in the tub on that. Then even use a small ice cream bucket you could get clean water dumped all over you. That is the problem with bathtubs, other than not being able to get back up, there is too much risk for infection with sitting in the water you are washing with.

Good Luck
Unread 06-13-2004, 08:08 PM
thanks for the suggestions

I think the couch might be my bed for the first night or two. It is just my hubby and I so it would be very quiet downstairs during the day and i could nap but still get to the fridge and the computer. After a couple days i could move upstairs and try the futon and the shower. If all goes well i should be coming home on a friday and will have the weekend and my hubby's assistance for the first couple days.

Our bathtub does have a handheld shower attachment so that might help with washing. The tub is 100 year old clawfoot and is really sturdy. I already noticed that having the tub side next to the toilet is a help in getting up off the pot. I have some steps that i can move to help get in the tub but a seat of some sort would be helpful. My dad found a really cool little kneeler/stool for gardening that i might try and find around here.

Thanks for the help, i will keep mining the site for more info!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register