Ovaries Asleep??? What does that mean??? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Ovaries Asleep??? What does that mean??? Ovaries Asleep??? What does that mean???

Unread 04-26-2005, 05:56 PM
Ovaries Asleep??? What does that mean???

I had a LAVH on 3/21, kept both ovaries, but very emotional. haven't had a good sleep since my surgery, hot flashes at night, I'm just a mess and started back to work Full Time. What is going on? How long does this "Nap" last for? Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-26-2005, 06:49 PM

Hi Adamsci,

From what I have read on H.S. the ovaries can go to sleep, or temporarily not function for awhile in post-op, due to the trauma of surgery. Generally, sleeping ovaries can occur for several weeks in post-op.

You might ask your Dr. about temporary HRT for the post-op symptoms. Or possibly you could ask your Dr. about having a hormone test to test your hormone levels.

Best wishes,

Mary
Unread 04-26-2005, 06:59 PM

Oh, I think you are very brave for going back to work. I am 1 week farther post op than you, and last week I left the house without my shirt. I have very little memory, pretty things distract me and the hot flahes and night sweats are so bad my husband offered to sleep somewhere else --- across country I think! My doctor said it could be up to a YEAR before things were back to normal. He offered drugs to help in the mean time, but I decided to wait it out a little longer. That's why I am here tonight, to find some info on treatment options. Hope you can squeeze in some time for yourself everyday. Remember you are still healing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-27-2005, 10:16 AM

Hi Adamsci and Dizzyb,

Here is a recent Hyster Sisters thread. Might help you out:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/sho...hlight=chillow

Best wishes again,

Mary
Unread 04-27-2005, 05:45 PM

thanks historylady!!! I will check out that website.
Unread 04-27-2005, 06:53 PM

I understand. I had my surgery on 4/11 and have been VERY emotional. I am not in a bad mood. Just cry about everything... happy or sad. I sometimes feel guilty for everything that my family is having to go though so then that makes me cry more.

However, the dr. did give me prozac to control the moods, and the night sweats. I am only 27 so they really are not wanting to put me on HRT. So I guess I will try this, at lest till everything evens out a little.

I hope you situation evens out. I cant wait till I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
God BLess
Unread 04-27-2005, 11:09 PM

I experienced the same thing. I kept both ovaries to avoid this. Several weeks after surgery I became very emotional, began with night swets and insomnia. The surgeon said my ovaries were shock up.

I finally went in to see my reg. MD two weeks ago. He took a blood test to measure my hormone levels. (I feared that my ovaries weren't working and I was being thrown into menopause. How would I ever know since I don't have a period any more?) My MD called last week with results. He said my ovaries are working but estrogen levels were down about 10 %. He wants me to try .3 mg of estrogen for treatment of insomnia. I am resisting it as I have a grandmother and great aunt who died of breast cancer. I'm also thinking if I'm only down 10% on estrogen what's it going to be like if I decline more....yikes!!!! I'll never get to sleep. I'm averaging 4 hours per day. It's just nuts. After discussing it with MD, he recommended I go to the local Woman's Clinic and discuss this with a nurse practitioner. Of course the one he wants me to see is on medical leave until June. He says she's worth waiting for and suggested I go on estrogen until I see her. He was emphatic that I would not develop cancer from being on estrogen for such a short time.

You are not alone in this. I thought that keeping my ovaries would prevent me from going into perimenopause/menopause. I guess I was big time WRONG. It's difficult enough recovering from this surgery. Having to deal with this is not fun.

Songtch
SAH/12-23-04/kept cervix and ovaries/age 45
Unread 04-27-2005, 11:56 PM

Well, my ovaries are gone, and I can't take HRT. I can tell you, I have insomnia, which is why I'm on message boards late at night!

I know one thing, the "sleeping ovary" syndrome makes me wonder if they snore. When I do sleep, I snore.

I know. That wasn't funny!
Unread 04-28-2005, 12:10 AM

I'm perimenopausal and waiting for my TAH/BSO in May. I have been having a protein shake every morning made of soy protein powder, soy milk and some fruit (strawberries & bananas). It really helps with my sleep. When I don't have it, I definitely wake up more... usually get 4 good hours and then the rest is very choppy. But with the soy, I sleep a good 7 hours and feel rested. Just a thought, something you might want to try, and it's natural.

I also have mild night sweats and it helps with that, too.

MB

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register