hysterectomy verus leep & D&C | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

hysterectomy verus leep & D&C hysterectomy verus leep & D&C

Unread 03-01-2005, 07:55 AM
hysterectomy verus leep & D&C

I have had 3 abnormal pap test since April 2004, each repeated approximately ever 3 months, and each time advanced to a different stage, my last pap was in January 2005, at this point my gyn doctor told me it had advanced to be as close to cancer as you could get without having cancer, I have an pre-op appointment with him on March 2nd, he has me scheduled for a Leep procedure, D&C , endrometrial bioposy for next Monday, My question is will these procedures be the safe way to go, or should I talk to him about doing a total hysterectomy, I also have fibroid tumors and endrometrosis. How does a total hysterectomy affect you , weight gain, your sex life, orgasms ,etc. Any feedback would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 03-01-2005, 08:11 AM
hysterectomy verus leep & D&C

to Hystersisters!

It sounds as if your doctor is following the standard medical procedure here. After a series of abnormal PAP's, the biopsies start. Sometimes the biopsy occurs in the office as part of a colposcopic exam, sometimes it is done as a LEEP or cone biopsy. In my opinion, it is in your best interest to have the LEEP done, regardless of if you later decide to have the hysterctomy for your other issues. The reason being that the LEEP will confirm that your abnormal cells are still in the precancerous stage and then will hopefully remove all of the involved cells. For 80% of women undergoing the LEEP/cone, this is all the treatment that is needed. Occasionally, the recommendation will be to continue with a hysterectomy once you are finished healing from the LEEP. If this is the recommendation you receive, you might like to request a second opinion to be sure there is consensus on this.

If for some reason the LEEP would show that some of your cells have progressed to cancer (it's not very likely, but it does happen once in a while), it's important to know that information before a hysterectomy so that the right type of surgical procedure is used. So, the LEEP is kind of a safeguard--having all of the information up front helps the surgeon determine the best future treatment plan for you.

My gyn also did D&C and endometrial biopsies at the same time he did my cone.

All women respond differently to a hysterectomy. A lot can depend on whether or not you keep your ovaries. I kept my ovaries and I have not had any weight gain problems (other than those self-inflicted by eating too many York Peppermint patties --I have since taken it off). I feel pretty much the same, though I still need an extra hour of sleep every night that I didn't used to need. My sex life is the same. Orgasm is different since I have no uterine contractions now, but I wouldn't say that it's not as good (because it is), it's just different.

Good luck at your appointment! Let us know how it goes!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register