Questions about hyst-New to site | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about hyst-New to site Questions about hyst-New to site

Unread 11-06-2006, 07:54 PM
Questions about hyst-New to site

I am 41 years old and my doctor believes I am suffering from adenomyosis. I also have about a 4cm fibro which is outside of the uterus where the tube meets the uterus. I have extereme bleeding and pain and am now anemic. At one point my hemoglobben (sp?) was at an 8. I had my tubes tied about 14 years ago and then had a reversal last Jan, as we wanted another child. After 10 months of trying-nothing. The periods are worse every month with trips to emerg room. The US has shown "numerous pockets" of possible adenomyosis. My uterus is at least twice the nomal size and I have all nomal problems that go with it. My Dr beleives that hyst is the only way to help this. She doesn't think I will be able to get pg and if I did I would have great risk of losing it due to the weakened uterus lining. She also does not believe an ablation will help because she feels the uterus will continue to bleed behind the ablation. I know that in order to get some control over my life I need the hyst but I'm sad I won't be able to have a baby. My overies look alright so I should be able to keep those. My friend had a total hyst (stil has her overies) and after a year she is still depressed, doesn't want sex and says she feels like her insides are falling out. She also said she can't get used to having PMS every month then not bleeding.

Is this common? Will I still have PMS every month? Will my sex drive go away? How do you overcome feeling not whole?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-07-2006, 01:57 PM

Welcome to Hystersisters!

We have several resources regarding adeno that you might want to read through: Hyster Sisters' Endo/Adeno Resources. To the best of my knowledge the only sure cure for adeno is a hyst, but most often the diagnoses of adeno is not 100% positive until after a hyst! So, it can be hard to know just what to do since it is partially based on guess work.

If you keep your ovaries, yes, you can still have PMS every month -- this is because your ovaries are working and producing hormones as they should. Some women do find their PMS does decrease after their hyst, but that is not true for everyone. At times, mine is actually worse than before, but I was on bcp prior to my hyst to help with my cycles.

Issues involving libido can occur after a hyst, but often are a result of hormone imbalance. Even if you keep your ovaries, it is possible to need a little bit of one hormone or the other to find the right balance for you. Libido can also be affected by depression and stress, for which there is also treatment.

Even without a uterus, you are still a complete woman. Some women do feel imcomplete after a hyst and ladies have different ways of dealing with this issue dpending on to what degree they are affected. Counseling, even prior to a hyst, might be something you want to consider.

A hyst is a major irreversible surgery which can have a big impact on your life emotionally and physically. One needs to carefully consider the pros and cons prior to having a hyst. And seeking a second opinion before surgery can be very benefitial.

I wish you the very best for whatever you decide is right for you!
Unread 11-08-2006, 01:51 PM

Hi Iamkfaz,

If you are looking at possibly having a hyst, you might research the different ~types~. Possibly you are a candidate for a less invasive hyst such as a TVH, a LAVH or a LSH, the hyst type I had. Not all ladies have abdominal hysts.

Here is a Hyster Sisters link that goes over the diferent types of hysts:

https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view_preop.htm

Best wishes. Don't worry. You will make the right choices for yourself.

Mary

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register