Recovery questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery questions Recovery questions

Unread 05-27-2011, 12:23 AM
Recovery questions

I had my surgery on Wednesday and wow do I have a belly now. It wasn't a 6 pack by any stretch before but I didn't expect this much swelling. I am also about 11 or 12 pounds heavier then I was on Wednesday AM. They took out my uterus, left the ovaries, removed two good sized fibroids and worked on a lot of endo. Is this basically water weight that I am experiencing because of all of the endo related work that was done or? Seems to go against logic to have things removed, yet be heavier but I figured that the swelling/edema.

I didn't even consider the whole belly binder thing, perhaps a big mistake on my part?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2011, 12:43 AM
Re: Recovery questions

You could have extra water from surgery, but not necessarily because of endometriosis issues. The only time I had extra water weight following a surgery--and I have had endometriosis concerns with each surgery--was when they flooded my system with too many bags of the saline solution because my surgery had gotten postponed by several hours and I was getting dehydrated from the bowel prep and no food or water for so many hours. I didn't weigh myself but my ankles and feet were huge so I can just imagine how much I would have weighed! All of the fluid was gone in a couple days.

You could have swelling because of surgery, though I wouldn't think it was affect your weight by 10 pounds. I would lean more toward it being the IV's to keep you hydrated.

If you have concerns, definitely touch base with your surgeon!

s
Unread 05-27-2011, 10:12 AM

I also gained 5 pounds in a week. I was swollen all over from all of the IV fluids. Is it ok to diet after surgery like this?
I understand your concern about the weight gain.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-27-2011, 12:14 PM

They might have irrigated your abdomen during the surgery and that might account for excess weight gain. You should lose it within a few days; and your belly might just be swollen from the trauma of surgery.

At this point, don't worry so much about your weight, but concentrate on getting through the healing. As you get more active following your surgery, your weight will come back down.

I know it sounds weird, but drinking water will help get rid of the excess water weight. Once your body gets used to having water, it will shed the excess.
Unread 05-27-2011, 01:45 PM

I gained 10 lbs in 2 days from excess water. I went in to the doc to be sure. She checked my temp and my incision, looking for signs of infection.

Apparently it's totally normal. Bummer, huh? Lol.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register