why cystogram during LAVH? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

why cystogram during LAVH? why cystogram during LAVH?

Unread 09-26-2007, 06:29 PM
why cystogram during LAVH?

i've been thinking...first of all, healing is apparently going well. no fever, no issues to speak of, some swelly belly but nothing terrible, bladder and bowel working well again...all is ok. tomorrow is 1w post op.

i'm curious...and i will email my surgeon to ask because i didn't think to ask while in the hospital, too drugged up i suppose, but have any of you had a cystogram WHILE under for your hyster?

i had an LAVH and kept my ovaries. according to my surgeon there were no complications, no adhesions or scar tissue. i woke with a catheter, to be expected, and my urine in the bag was green. they said that was bc of the dye he used during the cystogram while i was under.

i didn't know i was to undergo a cystogram. it's been a week and sometimes my urine is still green. the cath came out that night and i was able to urinate fine within a couple hours, and then every hour thereafter for the first 24 hours or so. now i'm just going as normal...no frequency at all.

why would they just do a cystogram for no apparent reason? is this standard? i did a google and honestly, i'm disturbed...i found a lot about bladder/ureter injuries during hysters and how cystograms are used to diagnose them (fistulas being common.)

i've had no leakage to speak of, no bladder symptoms, no problems at all...

any ideas? i'll email him tomorrow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2007, 08:21 PM

This is just a guess but I would say that is was as a precautionary measure to make sure that the bladder wasn't knicked during the surgery. My bladder was knicked and the surgical report says that it was filled with methtlene blue to detect the cut, the cut was then repaired and the bladder refilled with methylene blue to insure there were no leaks. It was then allowed to drain. Some of the medication used to control bladder spasms has a green die and will turn the urine green. Be thankful that your surgeon was vigilant. Some have injuries that are not found right away and end up with urine leaking into the vagina or worse, fistulas forming, and serious infections developing.
Unread 09-26-2007, 08:26 PM

I can't believe you have your surgeon email address and he/she actually returns your emails, them self! I am happy you have that resource.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-26-2007, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perceptionist
I can't believe you have your surgeon email address and he/she actually returns your emails, them self! I am happy you have that resource.

I am a labor/birth doula and my surgeon is an OB/Gyn in a practice I do a lot of births with...we've worked together many times in the past with mutual patients/clients. I've been a patient of the practice myself for many years, long before I was a doula.

I'm not sure if he is in email contact with all of his patients but he has been in phone/email contact with me daily to follow my healing since I came home. He even called me from his car the day I was discharged to apologize for sending in his colleague (another surgeon I've worked with) to do my discharge, which he knew I'd understand since he had been called in the night to a different hospital for a birth emergency. He is a very *very* good doctor/surgeon...not one I'd like to deliver me if I were birthing but definitely one I chose purposefully for this surgery.

He is a very busy doctor/surgeon so I imagine he's not in this much contact with all of his patients but I really have no idea...I didn't expect it at all but I have to say he is an amazing resource for my husband and I as we progress through this journey.

I was thinking the procedure was a JIC measure...it was just something I was thinking on today and figured I'd ask here.

I'll ask him when I next speak to him...he called in a new script for me today for tordol bc the dilaudid is just too strong since my dh had to go back to work and I'm alone with the kids now. They are school-aged (we homeschool so they are home) so they can manage their own food/snacks/daily care so long as I supervise but that isn't possible if I'm passed out from the meds, but advil (x4 = motrin strength) wasn't doing it for me yet. Most likely he'll check on me again tomorrow and if so I'll ask.

I realize how fortunate I am. He emailed me pesonally to give me my pathology report details yesterday...I do know in his office the standard is for his nurse to handle it.

Thanks!
Unread 09-27-2007, 02:46 PM

I had a cysto done as well... my UroGyn told me it was way to make sure there was no damage done to my bladder and to also make sure my kidneys were working perfectly. I also peed green for a couple days post-op. Kinda wierded me out. LOL

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register