Who is having to take Xanax or similar? - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Who is having to take Xanax or similar? Who is having to take Xanax or similar?

Unread 08-15-2008, 06:13 PM
Who is having to take Xanax or similar?

I don't like Xanax. It's to much of a tranquilizer feeling for me. And, to be honest, it didn't help keep my panic attacks at bay. It just calmed me when I did have one. You might ask your doctor about an ongoing anxiety attack medication. Many forms of anti-depressants help with panic attacks.

For years, I tried to deal with my panic attacks without medical help. Then, I did the Xanax route. It wasn't until my doctor put me on Prozac (I now take Zoloft) that I felt "normal." It took several weeks, but it was like sitting back and taking a deep breath. I didn't feel drugged (like with the Xanax) and I didn't feel anxious, tense or panicky (like without meds). I just felt normal, the way I'm supposed to feel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-16-2008, 05:19 PM

My doctor prescribed Atavan and Zoloft. The Zoloft has begun working yet but the atavan is starting to help with the attacks. I was rushed to the ER last weekend for heart paltipations and was just anxiety and stress. My PCP increased my Atavan to double becuase the mininmal doseage wasn't doing anything. I still feel like I was going crazy and with the heart palpitations. I saw a cardiolgogst to be on the safe side and my heart is normal and no damage has been done.
Unread 08-17-2008, 12:32 AM

I used Prozac and Xanax early on in my perimenopause symptoms. It eased the anxiety but did nothing for my physical problems. So trying to stay clear of any AD's full time atm.

Handled things pretty good so far this past week. I did have to take another 1/4th a pill on the morning I had court over child support but hey that is nerve racking enough in itself.

Of course I have over a month to go since my date was moved out a week farther. I will just take it one day at a time, not much else we can do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-17-2008, 09:53 AM
Have used Xanax for 12 years

My TAH is scheduled for this Friday, Aug 22nd. However, I have taken Xanax whenever needed for the last 12 years. My MD perscribed 1mg for me and sometimes I take 1/4 or 1/2 of a pill depending on my anixety. When I found out I was having the TAH, I took a full mg. It helps with the fears and crying all the time because if I didn't use it, I'm not sure I could stay sane. The trick is to know how much to take. Start with a very low dosage, it will not hurt you, only help. Once you become calm and yet functional, you will know how much help it is giving you. Based on your post, I can't imagine you becoming adictive you any medication. Help yourself through a difficult time and use the Xanax. Good luck and hope this helps.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register