Please help me decide if I need to go shopping for clothes, and other questions | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Please help me decide if I need to go shopping for clothes, and other questions Please help me decide if I need to go shopping for clothes, and other questions

Unread 07-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Please help me decide if I need to go shopping for clothes, and other questions

I read previous posts and didn't think about bigger clothes. Do we really need to get new unders? How about stretchy pants? I don't own sun dresses.

Is it important that hubby stay at hospital during surgery? I'm getting nervous that I wont be able to find anyone to watch kids. Considering that, is an overnight stay the best? What did you do? They want to do out patient.

Did you husbands handle your recovery well as in help with cooking housework etc. I'm more scared about that than the surgery. He usually says it is women's work. So I'm a bit scared on that note. He wont clean probably. Do I ask a friend to come over and help me clean?

I have gluton intollerance, celiac, so can I ask for dinners or is it too tough to ask for that?The meal can't have any in it which can be very trickly as gluton has about 50 names.

Thanks so much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2011, 09:43 PM
Re: Afew questions a questions I need help with.

Oh sweetheart, my surgery was last Wednesday and all the cleaning I did is just shy of totally un-done.... The good news? My kids apparently aren't starving. The bad news, every dish in the house is apparently dirty.
Unread 07-18-2011, 10:02 PM

I think it depends on the type clothes you own. I have loose things available so got nothing special. Usually they do want someone there while you're in surgery but if you have childcare issues perhaps if he's available by phone it'd be OK. I'd say, clean pre op then just ignore it if DH won't clean. Are the kids old enough to help? And yes I'd ask friends to cook. Even if it has gluten, at least your family could eat. Freeze some meals ahead, family and individual. Use paper plates---seriously. It will help. Do what you can ahead, ask for help, and lower your cleaning standards for a few wks. And hope DH helps, he might surprise you. Best wishes it all goes well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2011, 10:10 PM

You should ask your dr about having someone at the hospital while you are in surgery. You'll probably at least want someone there while you are waiting in pre-op and then in recovery.

If I were you, I'd get your friends on speed dial and circle the wagons the week before and the week after the surgery. Cook ahead and clean ahead.

I mapped out the total worse case scenario - needing a total abdominal hyster with a full 8 weeks of recovery - plus a week in the hospital. In the end I got a LAVH, one night in the hospital, and about 2 days at home in bed. Then I ran out of audio books and got bored. On Day 3 first thing in the morning I walked out to open up our chicken coop and ran out of energy by the time I got back to the house. (It's about 30 feet from the door to the coop.) I'm on Day 5 and got my staples out today. And I had dinner at my in-laws. And I swept the kitchen floor. Woot!

This is my 3rd laparoscopic surgery to deal with endometriosis. I've never had the swelling issue that some of these ladies have described. However, I don't wear tight fitting clothing right after these surgeries.
Unread 07-18-2011, 10:13 PM

Use paper plates and send him out to Costco to get semi-ready meals to pop into the oven or broiler. The rotissere chicken is good.
Try to make some meals and freeze before your surgery.
Go to the grocery store and totally stock up on everything. You will be glad you did.
Do you have family nearby? Friends?
As far as cleaning your house, clean it before your surgery or call in a housekeeper. Friends like to visit, not necessarily clean your house.
I could be wrong about that. My friends wouldn't like to do that.
Unread 07-18-2011, 10:28 PM

You might make a separate post with "Celiac" in the title. I did a quick search on hystersisters for celiac and got a couple of hits. Hopefully something useful.... The food at our local hospital is t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e! The pre-packaged "Smart Breakfast Shake" was corn syrup and flavoring. Dinner was bouillion, tea, and jello.

I would sure talk to your doc AND with the hospital folks directly.

Doing the surgery as outpatient makes a lot of sense if means no worries about being poisoned....
Unread 07-18-2011, 11:25 PM

My dh says that the hospital has gluton free options. So lets hope. So the first night is a liquid diet? How about breakfast, what did you get? Hopefully they can make it gluton free.

I appreciate the responses. It can be overwelming.
Unread 07-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Please help me decide if I need to go shopping for clothes, date next Tues

I don't have much time. I'm going to have a suprcervical Tues. I have some room in my clothes. I just lost 15 , but now they just fit just right. I have a lot of yoga pants, shorts, crops. It gets 110 here. Oh my so probably shorts. Do I need new bigger undies too? I grew up wearing the school uniform, that is probably why I hate dresses.
Unread 07-19-2011, 01:39 PM
Re: Please help me decide if I need to go shopping for clothes, date next Tues

Definitely get the bigger undies - they much more confortable than my regular size was for the first 3 weeks at least. I wore large t shirts, sun dresses and sleep shirts the first 2 weeks (I didn't leave the house at all... ) At this point I can fit into the clothes I was wearing before surgery - but jeans are very uncomfortable after a while of wearing them. Just keep in mind you swell more as the day goes on, and you don't want to wear anything that will be too snug on your belly area.

Good luck with your surgery!
Unread 07-19-2011, 02:30 PM
Re: Please help me decide if I need to go shopping for clothes, date next Tues

I bought a couple of new nightgowns and wore them for about 5-6 days after my LSH. I also bought new granny undies, one size up. They started out ok in the AM but by the evening they were a bit tight. I also have a pair of shorts (live in FL) that are big and I've been wearing just about every day since I moved out the nightgown.

Hope this helps. Best of luck to you. The waiting truly is the worst part.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register