CA125 1,090 U... in a big panic! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

CA125 1,090 U... in a big panic! CA125 1,090 U... in a big panic!

Unread 07-22-2008, 08:01 AM
CA125 1,090 U... in a big panic!

CA125 1,090 U... in a big panic! Hello all!

I had my 6 week post-op TAH appt yesterday. It went very well. Have the green light on everything but heavy lifting. While there, they repeated my CA125 blood test. When I was in the hospital 6 weeks ago, they did this test and I had an "elevated" level. They never told me the number, but I could tell that something was up by the way the doc & nurses were acting. Anyway, we went ahead with surgery. Doc came out of surgery and told my family that it was "best case scenario" and that my 8 cm mass was a cyst. This was confirmed with the Pathology report. I have a copy and it does say benign cyst, etc... Great news! Well, yesterday when they were repeating the test to see if it had gone down, my doc told his lab techs that it had been "REALLY high 6 weeks ago"... "1090". The lab tech went silent and then replies with a breathless "Wow!" So, I am sitting here with my arm ready for the stick wondering how high 1090 really is. When I got home, I caved in and looked online to find that normal is "below 35". There are other causes for this test to be so high... menstruation, endometriosis, & other benign issues, but the main cause is ovarian cancer and a few other gyno cancers. My logical side says not to worry because the pathology said benign and my doc's experienced eyes said benign. My panicked side says that there is a BIG difference between 35 and 1090. Has anyone here had an experience similar to this? I am so worried. I am 33 and have young children and am married to a fabulous man. I cannot have cancer. I have fought that with several close family members (no gyno cancers other than breast), and I have had enough of cancer to last me a lifetime.

I do tend to over-react... I will be telling myself this all day. We live in the middle of nowhere, so I may not even get results until Wednesday. They said I could call at 2 pm today (Tues)... so let's hope it is there and is very low.

Thanks for letting me vent! Say a little prayer for all of us...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2008, 09:26 AM

I can't say mcuh about the test results but I will be praying for you and i totally understand how you feel. My BF is 29, has 2 small children and her DH was killed in a care wreck less than a yr ago. She has stage II cervical cancer and if anyhting happens to her well, I inherit 2 more loving wonderful children who will have lost both parents. Think positive bacuse stress is NEVER any good on you.
Unread 07-22-2008, 09:33 AM

(((hugs)))

I know very little about this test but I promise you are in my prayers.

Hugs
Jess
XOXOX
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-22-2008, 09:37 AM

CA125 is a Cancer Antigen test. Lots of professionals don't like it due to the false positives, but it is still used. Aaaahhhh! Will 2 pm just hurry up and get here! With my luck, it won't be back until tomorrow!
Unread 07-22-2008, 09:41 AM

{{HUGS}} to you sweetie! I hope it comes back normal, this time. I hate tests that have a high false positive percentage. I will keep you in my prayers!
Unread 07-22-2008, 09:48 AM

Oh my, my ca-125 was doubled @70 and my dr sent me to an oncologist, i had severe endo, so a reading in the thousands is REALLY high. Now seeing that you did a hyst then thats a good thing, and your dr may have gotten all if any pre cancerous cells out but didn't want to worry you (although I wouldn't agree w/that rational). I would advise you to call your dr, and be clear to him that you want to know what exactly he removed, what does that high ca represent, and ask that he redo your ca. I have already prayed for you.
Unread 07-22-2008, 09:48 AM

This test will also be high for endometriosis. Did you have endo?
Unread 07-22-2008, 10:42 AM

Yes, I had endometriosis with lots of adhesions. My "numbers" have always been unusual for everything gyno related. We did invitro in 2000 and I was on lots of meds. My FSH hormone level at that time was 16.7 and should have been well below 10. So, that was a "through the roof" number also. At one point, I had a uterus biopsy that was so weird the doc just stared at it and did another one (ouch, to say the least). So, maybe this is the same kind of thing. Just really, really wierd numbers. I just want my "interesting and complicated" reproductive history (yes, that is what the records say!) to be normal!

Thank you all for the support today. You are keeping me from climbing the walls. I am obsessively cleaning the house and checking in every few minutes! ha!
Unread 07-22-2008, 11:09 AM

Just wanted to let you know I am praying for you!
Unread 07-22-2008, 11:16 AM

My CA 125 was 122 - I had endo. Many other things can increase the number. Infections, having your period, ovarian cysts. It is not a good diagnostic tool for ovarian cancer in younger women.

I wish you well and try not to worry!

Teresa

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register