Questions for those who kept ovaries and cervix | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions for those who kept ovaries and cervix Questions for those who kept ovaries and cervix

Unread 12-20-2007, 03:33 AM
Questions for those who kept ovaries and cervix

I would like some information on a hyst leaving the ovaries and possibly the cervix. Would like to know pros and cons of having surgery. Will I have problems after surgery with other organs, etc? What was your result?

I have already had a tubal lilgation and ablation due to heavy periods that were not successful.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-21-2007, 11:28 PM

annelise and

Welcome to Hystersisters! We're glad you joined us!

I had a TVH and kept my ovaries. Since I had a vaginal hysterectomy, my cervix was removed. Because I never noticed or was aware of my cervix before my surgery, I haven't missed it since. I had adenomyosis and fibroids. I'm glad I was able to keep my ovaries because I wasn't ready to start HRT and fortunately, 3 1/2 years later, they're still working. I had a very uneventful surgery and recovery and I haven't had any problems with any of my other organs since my hysterectomy.

There are some great articles in Pre-Op Articles that you might find helpful. Don't forget to read in Checkpoints for even more great information.

There are a lot of members who kept their cervix and ovaries and I hope some of them will stop by and share their story. In the meantime, make yourself at home! We're always here for you!

s, Deb
Unread 12-22-2007, 05:50 AM

i had an lsh and kept my cervix and ovaries. i did not want to go into surgical menopause and start worrying about hrt. i have never regretted it. i had a very easy recovery, my ovaries are working fine and i am one of the few that believe my cervix plays a role in my sexual pleasure..and thats all good too. the only way my life has changed is that i dont get a period.
my surgery was for heavy periods also...i chose to just remove the problem, the body of my uterus. check into all the different types of hysterectomies and see if you can have one of the least invasive. also, if your cervix and ovaries are healthy and you want to keep them, tell your dr. dont be talked into removing something you want to keep. the decision is ultimately up to you. good luck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-22-2007, 05:07 PM

Hi Annelise2610,

I had a LSH and kept my ovaries and cervix also. I am still pleased with the results and I had my hyst...3 1/2 yrs ago.

My quality of life is wonderful today. In pre-op, I had 24/7 pelvic pressure from two large fibroids, bladder incontinence and heavy periods. Today...none of the three. I could not be happier.

Sending best wishes~

Mary
Unread 12-22-2007, 09:53 PM

I had LSH two weeks ago and kept my cervix and ovaries. I read that if you remove the cervix there is a chance that later you may need a bladder tack. The down side is you still have to have paps if you keep your cervix. My doctor told me there is also a slight chance that I could still have "mini" periods if some of the tissue from the uterus had sagged down into the cervix but I haven't had a single drop since the surgery. I haven't had any emotional ups and downs like some women who have their ovaries removed and I appreciate that I won't have to take HRT or any other hormones. I only had to be in the hospital 24 hours and my recovery has been fairly easy. I'm still taking it slow, but I know I'd be moving slower if I had gone with a different procedure. For me this was definately the right decision.
Unread 12-22-2007, 10:08 PM

Hi Annelise,
It's a tough & very personal decision. Much to my surgeons dismay & against his medical advice, I kept my ovaries. He wanted to remove them due to my extensive endometriosis, but for me the benefit of keeping the ovaries outweighed the risk if taking them out given my other medical issues. He did take the cervix due to nodularities/endo ... I was concerned about loosing "pelvic support" (especially due to my very active lifetsyle/exercising, etc) but he assured me it would not be any different than if I kept my cervix. Since my cervix was diseased & not any benefit as far as producing any hormones, I let him take it out. I am 12 days postop & I must admit, it's been a rough road. No complications, just abdominal bloating, swelling, nausea, & not being able to eat very much without feeling "full." I assumed laproscopic meant "smooth sailing," but not the case.
Do only what feels right for you - when you wake up in the recovery room, you have to be happy with your decision .... your surgeon will be off to the next patient, but YOU have to live with YOUR decision!
Good luck & best wishes!
Unread 12-23-2007, 09:29 AM

I'm a few days post-op. kept my ovaries, but had no choice in keeping my cervix, since there was a huge fibroid smack dab in the middle of it! Since my fibroids distended my uterus to the size of a 14-15 wk fetus, I'm confident that I made the right decision. Already I feel lighter, and have less back pain!
Unread 12-24-2007, 08:35 AM

I had my LSH on December 3rd and kept my cervix and ovaries. I kept my cervix because I already had prolapse surgery and I needed my cervix for pelvic floor support. My ovaries seem to be working fine, no hot flashes. I have had some problem with the incision on my left side. It is bigger and has some problems healing.

I think I might have had a mini period last week because I spotted for 2 days, but that beats the 10 day periods.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register