?bending lifting 2 wks post op | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

?bending lifting 2 wks post op ?bending lifting 2 wks post op

Unread 09-04-2008, 10:45 AM
?bending lifting 2 wks post op

I am 2 weeks post op today. I having the typical 2 steps forward, one step back but think I am heading in the right direction. On the bending and lifting - I probably bend and pick-up 15-20 times each morning. It might be dropping a pen, it might be pickup a lunch box, or 2 wet towels, etc, etc. I am not sure how much is "acceptable" and how much is too much. When I have a set-back/ "bad" day, I can not for the life of me think of any reason I would have increased pain and tiredness. Any rhyme or reason to this, or just "normal" - par for the coarse. I do have a family of five, and called on extensive help for the first 10 days. I called my doc yesterday, who called in a new pain Rx and gave me the OK to drive (each case is individual) - but I want a good recovery and don't want to botch anything - with adhesions, scar tissue, tears, etc., etc. I am so thankful for this site and my "sisters" cause I don't know how to balance during this balancing act.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-04-2008, 12:04 PM

Did you have an abodominnal hysterectomy? I had TAH and today is 6 weeks. For me, alot of bending caused me pain very easily the first few weeks. I did very little lifting and when I did do too much, my body let me know. My experience has been it's best to take it easy. Instead of bending over too much, I used my toes to pick stuff up. :-)
Hope this helps!
Unread 09-04-2008, 03:37 PM

Advice is bend as little as possible. With a family of 5 there is always someone to help and really that is what you need to do no matter how tedious and pathetic it feels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2008, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the advice

Thanks ladies! I needed to hear from someone. This is one of my weaknesses, so I am having to look it square in the eye. I do things for my family that they should be doing for themselves. They did everything for 10 days, then I started assuming my "usual" gradually.
Unread 09-07-2008, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suthngrl
Did you have an abodominnal hysterectomy? I had TAH and today is 6 weeks. For me, alot of bending caused me pain very easily the first few weeks. I did very little lifting and when I did do too much, my body let me know. My experience has been it's best to take it easy. Instead of bending over too much, I used my toes to pick stuff up. :-)
Hope this helps!
I had to show this to DH, it just creeps him out when I use my toes to pick anything up LOL
Unread 09-07-2008, 07:41 PM

I have picked a few things up thinking they were lighter than they actually were and my body let me know quickly! I try not to bend over too much as this is still weird feeling for me, and I had TVH! Like everyone says, listen to your body.

I also have days when I do nothing and have more pain and fatigue than if I had worked. Just our bodies way of reminding us its healing.
Unread 09-07-2008, 09:28 PM

I had my hyst on the 22nd of Aug. I was bending down and picking up things if I dropped them ...like a pen or something very light. I was also pushing myself up in bed... when I was in bed trying to get comfortable....little things like that. Then I started to feel alot of pressure and pain on my tummy & back! Now I have a swollen area above one of my incisions....caused by the "light lifting" or bending I don't know but I sure am trying not to do it any more! I go to the Dr. tomorrow! Hopefully everything is OK! My sister had a hyst and she listed alot of things she was told NOT to do and I had done some of them. So hopefully I didn't do my self more harm!
Unread 09-08-2008, 03:24 AM
your re-check

Thanks for the input!! It is so valuable to hear from others and get a little guidance. I hope you have a good check-up. Let us know. And pamper the princess :-)
Unread 09-08-2008, 03:08 PM

Well, I went to my Dr appointment & I was told NOT to lift and NOT to bend without using mostly my legs. They said to sort of squat and not bend at the waist ---ONLY if neccesary & if I can tolerate it!! I also had to get a shot of estrogen because my body wasn't absorbing the pills every well. As for the swelling he just said to take Ibuprophen and for pains to take Tylenol. & that the swelling was probably because of the bending & scooting the baby to change diapers! Oops! So everything is getting better and I can't wait 'til my 6 wk post-op appointment! I hope everything is going better for all of you my sisters!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register