I have some questions.. | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I have some questions.. I have some questions..

Unread 08-04-2005, 01:07 PM
I have some questions..

I am sure that all of these have been addressed at one time or another, but here I go anyway! PLease bear with me.

I will get scheduled for my hysterectomy (removing ovaries, but unsure about cervix yet) tomorrow, August 5th. I am a single mom, a nanny and a college student. I wonder how soon I can get my life back.

At work, the kids are older and I don't have to pick anyone up or climb stairs. I go in at 10pm, sleep there and then once school starts, I just drop the boys off at school. I wonder in your opinion, how long post-op I would need to take off.

Next, I can go to school without taking any stairs and I pretty much sit in class. I can get help from my classmates carrying my bag, but it is also on wheels.

I have family at home to help me during my initial recovery and to help with the meals and laundry and child care.

Can anyone offer opinions based upon their experiences that could help me plan for my recovery? I would greatly appreciate it!

Tracey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2005, 01:21 PM
I have some questions..

What kind of Hyst. are they doing? You have the Hyst where they do the bikini cut...or take it vaginally.
All of us sister's have healed differently, what's good for me may not be good for another. I know for sure that the first 2 weeks you are going to be tired and will need to rest, but, you should ask you're DR about after that.
I hope that everything goes well, and you have a speedy recovery!
Hugz
Bernadette
Unread 08-04-2005, 08:22 PM
I have some questions..

Hi,

I think 6 to 8 weeks recovery is pretty common with any type of surgery. I had a vaginal and I went back to work at 6 weeks, but felt much better at 8. I had a sit down job, so not on my feet much, but sitting can be pretty uncomfortable too on the tummy.

The recovery is hard on the body emotionally and physcially. I had a hard time with sleep and felt very tired for quite awhile.

It is important not to overdo during recovery in order to heal properly to avoid problems down the road. We have seen several here that went to work or did things too early and had major set backs.

If you look in our Checkpoints on the Pre-op and Post-op it will give you very helpful information. Checkpoints

You should do okay if you pace yourself, take time to rest, and not overdo in the early weeks.

s
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-04-2005, 11:45 PM
I have some questions..

I am a single mom - but unemployed right now.... I had my kids stay with a friend for the first full week after surgery - and I am glad I did!! I have felt a few times like I wanted them to be picked up - just because I did not feel well.... but I did not do that - I have just dealt with things....

I now have an infection though.. don't think it had anything with doing too much!!! The worst part is mentally you are ready to go back to full swing - but your body says something else!!!

Everyone is different - talk to your DR. but most of all listen to what your body says!! I am 2 weeks tomorrow and still need a nap every day!!!

Good Luck!!!
Unread 08-05-2005, 05:24 AM
I have some questions..

Well first off like they said above the typical is about 6-8 weeks but you won't even be able to drive for the first 10 days to two weeks. Then you will be able to drive. And depending on what type of surgery will depend on your lifting restrictions. I will be restricted for the full 8-10 weeks of my recovery as I am having prolaspe's repaired. So you will find out today. Make sure you discuss this with your doctor.
Unread 08-05-2005, 06:00 AM
I have some questions..

I can offer input on the school piece. I was scheduled to start a summer course 4 weeks after surgery. I wasn't ready mentally or emotionally so I dropped the class.

However, I've seen other posts where women were able to return to college right away simply because they were bored. That's an area you will just have to "wait and see". You not only need physical strength to attend class, but mental clarity as well. If your recovery goes extremely well, you might be able, but you can't second guess how your body is going to react to this surgery.

You can ask anybody on this site and their recovery has been different from others. Don't worry about what might/might not be an issue.

Just plan on getting plenty of rest and letting yourself heal properly before you jump back into things full time. Your body will thank you for it.

Hugs

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register