Getting NERVOUS | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Getting NERVOUS Getting NERVOUS

Unread 09-06-2012, 09:16 AM
Getting NERVOUS

Tomorrow is the day and I'm starting to get scared. I have never used pads and dont know what kind I need for post-op?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2012, 09:49 AM
Re: Getting NERVOUS

It's okay to be scared! Take a deep breath and try your best to relax. Try to find something to do that will take your mind off of all of this for awhile.

As far as pads. It really doesn't matter what kind. I always used the brand "Always" and I liked the one's with wings so they stayed in place better. As far as absorbancy (thickness)...that is definitely your call. I had the super absorbancy just because I didn't trust anything lighter than that...it turned out I didn't need a pad at all. I had no bleeding.

I hope your surgery goes well tomorrow!! Hoping for a smooth and swift recovery for you as well!!

Unread 09-06-2012, 10:42 AM

Hi White fire! You are soooo not alone! My surgery is tomorrow too! I have started bowel prep and am already tired of clear fluids. I would kill for a cheeseburger, lol. The last few days I have been relatively calm oddly enough. Then last night the nerves hit! I was cleaning until 230 in the morning until i forced myself to go to bed. Big hugs coming your way! We can do this together! See you on the other side!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-06-2012, 11:31 AM

Welling up to read this. I remember so well the panic and anticipation at your stage. Don't forget that while this will be hard... it is totally manageable! From keeping the pain under control to the basic tasks you'll get back to a little more everyday post op -- it's all manageable. Just breath deeply, take it slow and easy, pay attention to your mind and body in every moment. This is your time to take care of you and to make the people around you do the same!!!

Also, you really WILL do this together! I am at 8 weeks post op now and I can't tell you what a blessing these sisters have been. From spotting to pooping to every teeny tiny weird and wonderful thing that has come up in the past two months, I was right on the board and there were at least six women just waiting to understand. This place can become your greatest comfort & resource if you use it.

Good luck... just another day on the road to a better place.
Unread 09-06-2012, 12:07 PM

I had my appointments today at the Hospital. Labs, meeting with the Doctor who is doing my anthestic. Still nervous. I hope all of you having surgery in the next day or two go through it well. I hope your able to post how it went soon after. Good Luck to all and my prayers are with you!
Unread 09-06-2012, 12:11 PM

Why do you think they say we will bleed? If theres nothing in there, and ovaries may be taken out with everything else, where do you think it comes from. I am not trying to sound ignorant, but I am kinda serious when I ask that.
Unread 09-06-2012, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillian2225 View Post
Why do you think they say we will bleed? If theres nothing in there, and ovaries may be taken out with everything else, where do you think it comes from. I am not trying to sound ignorant, but I am kinda serious when I ask that.
There is a chance of post-op bleeding...some have it and others do not. It is more like spotting, not like a period for most. Hysterectomy is major surgery and there will be a lot of healing to do.

Some women bleed when they have done too much too soon after surgery and they are not properly healed. Some women have some slight bleeding as the internal stitches start to dissolve. Some have bleeding due to hematomas (collection of blood) that can form after surgery. So, I guess the best answer to your question, "where does it come from" would be that it would come from the areas inside your body that are healing from your surgery.

Sometimes the bleeding can last a few days or a few weeks, there have even been members who have had some bleeding/spotting for a few months after their surgery. Everyone is different.

I had absolutely no bleeding. I was sure I was going to have some, so I still wore a pad for 2 or 3 months after my surgery! It was such a relief that I never had any, but I wasn't about to go anywhere unprepared. It is a good idea to have some pads on hand just in case you happen to be one of the unlucky ones who experiences some post-op bleeding.

I hope this answers your question.

Unread 09-06-2012, 01:43 PM

Thank you. It makes a lot of sense with the stiches. I guess I was just hoping the percentage was very low. I am also not feeling myself and I do not feel like I am thinking very clearly.

Have a good day.
Unread 09-06-2012, 04:36 PM

White Fire, vampirequeen, and Lillian2225, its totally normal to not be yourself and be a little nervous. As Traeleigh said, take a deep breath, try to relax as best you can. It may be a major surgery, but its something we can all manage, together! Positive thoughts, prayers, and hugs to you! Best wishes!

Better and waaay awesome days are coming! Oxox
Unread 09-06-2012, 08:39 PM

hi - it's natural to be nervous - like so many things in life it is so much worse beforehand than afterwards! you'll be so glad when tomorrow comes. Things in our minds just are harder to face than in reality.
It's ok here on the other side of 'the day'! I counted up all the months of periods I had before 'the day' 708 months! and promised myself 708 months of period-free days afterwards.Yahoo!!!!! now that's something to look forward to.
As for bleeding afterwards I read that there could be bleeding and bought two packets of super and regular pads and didn't need any of them. I have had only the faintest spot in two weeks.
It's such a habit to bleed and use pads, I still 'feel' it, and still only just beginning to realise it's over.
Go well - it will all be ok.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register