consult appointment - Page 2 | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

consult appointment consult appointment

Unread 12-31-2009, 07:16 AM
Re: consult appointment

I got a gift certificate for a mani/pedi too! The only thing is you can't do your finger nails. At least here in the US they use a pulse oximeter which clips onto one of your fingers and measures the level of oxygen in your blood, fingernail polish blocks the device. I think I want to have pretty painted toes too!! I wonder if I can split the gift certificate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2009, 02:34 PM

when I had my consult, I met the Dr in his office first-they said people talk better dressed, then he just felt my belly to confirm the necessity/existence of my big fibroids. That done, we went to the scheduling lady who gave a choice of a few dates and set an appointment for the week before to Dr one more time. Then they sent some info and forms in the mail. Seems easy so far...
Unread 12-31-2009, 02:46 PM

fetching1 and luvee24,

Just my two cents worth, things can be different at different hospitals and in different areas of the country.

I was told no make-up, ect. nothing on the face, not even moisturizer . No fingernail or toenail polish on either. I understood that they need to be able to watch you for any changes during surgery. Even your fingernails and toenails. I didn't like it, but I did listen. I need makeup on to feel good. I just had to get over it though, again. That has always been the policy here in this area.

I was told right away that I could leave my socks on, so I did. I noticed that they had put their gripper socks on over my own and I left it that way. At least my feet stayed warm. My room was really cold, even husband, son and his wife left their coats on. The night nurse went and got blankets to put around my shoulders during one of my night bathroom trips. My teeth were chattering and I had no control over it. I could not believe it. She did turn up the heat a little at that point.

I remember telling them as they put that "surgical hat" on me, that I now have an excuse to blame them for my bad hair do that day.

Really, I would save my mani/pedicure for after you are feeling better myself. They just might remove it for you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 12-31-2009, 06:22 PM

ILoveKitties,
Yes, after I posted I was thinking can you imagine if I go get it done and it's gone when I wake up?? Ugh, I would be upset they are so expensive now. I will wait and get my mani/pedi together once I am feeling well as a treat. I can't believe you were so cold in hospital!! I am always cold! My poor hubby has to work overtime to pay the heat bill...lol. I am wearing four layers now! When I went in to get my ablation in august they had me put on this weird looking paper gown, and when I got into the room a hose connected to it and pumped in warm air and I was toasty!! I can't remember the name but I know there was a teddy bear on the gown. It was really great!! I don't know if I'll get that again, but what a great invention!! I also love wearing make-up! Hubby says I don't need it, but I really LIKE wearing a little bit. I feel naked without it, but just like you I do as they tell me, never want to upset my nurse's right off the bat right?
Thanks,
Have a Happy New Year
alicia
Unread 12-31-2009, 06:50 PM

luvee24,

Looks like you are celebrating at home tonight also. Seriously, my husband and son are very hot blooded. Their coats never came off. At home I fuss at my husband that he freezes me in the winter and in the summer with the air conditioning. I just keep extra blankets to put on me only to stay warm. We have a small (yellow) electric heater that we do turn on sometimes, it does help. I think it might be a Stanley brand. I did have a lot of blankets piled on me while I was in bed in the hospital though. I don't know what all that teeth chattering was about, I was kind of embarrassed about it. lol I had the nicest nurses, no complaints there. When I got sick, first time up, there I am trying to wipe it up, it wasn't much, but I felt embarrassed anyways, of course they wouldn't let me. Like I have said before this was a surgeon built hospital and they recruited the best from the ones that had not already fled our town. lol

Enjoy the rest of the night!
Unread 12-31-2009, 11:41 PM

ILoveKitties, you are probably right about the pedicure, I would hate to wake up and the nail polish be gone. I guess by keeping the socks on I won't have to look at my feet anyway.
Unread 01-01-2010, 09:02 AM

I also got a certificate for a pedicure but I guess I too will wait. I have done the teeth chattering after surgery before but mine was from pain and being cold. It was weird. I could not stop it.
Thanks for all the replies and advice.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register