Incision split open | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Incision split open Incision split open

Unread 05-28-2005, 10:26 PM
Incision split open

Well, I'm 12 days post-op and have been doing very well, until today. I slipped on a wet spot in the kitchen and fell backwards while twisting to the side. In doing this I managed to have my entire incision rip open. Ended up in the emergency room for a couple hours why they were trying to figure out what to do about it (steri strips, staples, or surgery to explore and then close). I ended up just having steri strips put on, but now they're not staying on that well because my hair has started to grow back so there isn't much skin for them to adhere to. I lifted up a few of the ones that were already off on one side of the incision and noticed that the skin is not staying together well. Seems like it isn't really lined up and almost overlaps. Anyone ever experience this or have any words of wisdom as to what I should do? Should I take of the steri strips, shave, and them put them back on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-28-2005, 10:50 PM
Incision split open

Ask your Dr about Dermabond glue. I didn't have staples to close my incision , it was closed with Dermabond. I haven't had any problems at all. It goes on as a purple liqued and dries clear. Maybe your Dr could use some on your incision to help it heal. I don't know why more Dr don't use it. Maybe because it is still kind of new here in the U.S.
Unread 05-28-2005, 10:55 PM
Incision split open

I don't know about my doctor, but I do know that the emergency room docs do use it, especially with kids. The ER doc called my doc to ask him what to do. He didn't want to use staples because right now the risk of getting an infection is very high. I don't know if the dermabond would have worked that well because the part that came open was so big. If they used glue I think it would have ended up being inside the incision and maybe that is why they didn't use it. I have an appointment with my doc June 7th but I'm going to call him Tuesday morning after the long weekend and see about getting in sooner so he can see it for himself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-29-2005, 07:45 PM
Incision split open

hi, same thing happened to me, my doc told me that the incision has to heal from the inside out, so it may take a while, I was told to keep the open wound clean and wash it out with a hydrgen peroixe water mix, it was hard for me to do at first because the insicion was so wide from the fall I took that split it open, I had to go see my gyno every other day so he could clean it out. After two weeks it had closed enough for me to deal with it on my own. Be care removing the steri strips because you may get tape blisters and those are annoying also. thinking of you
Unread 05-29-2005, 07:52 PM
Incision split open

Goodness June 7th seems like a long time to wait especially since the incision isn't staying closed.

I hope everything works out for you, please keep us posted!
Unread 05-29-2005, 09:30 PM
Incision split open

June 7th is a long time to wait, but that was scheduled as a normal 3-week post-op visit before I had these problems this weekend. I'm going to call the office on Tuesday and see if I can get in sooner.
Unread 05-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Incision split open

When I had my c-section I ripped it open twice and ended up having to have it cleansed with saline and then packed with steri-strips twice a day so it would heal from the inside out. I actually had to have a home nurse come and do it every day until it was small enough that my DH could do it. I'm surprised they want you to just leave it and wait for your appt. I think I would push them to see you ASAP. In the meantime, take your temperature several times a day and make sure you don't start running one as it means you have an infection.
Unread 05-30-2005, 12:33 AM
Incision split open

The lower 4 inches of my incision split open the day after I got my staples out, 7 days after my TAH (which was May 2), and the ER doctor told me too that it had to heal from the inside outward....they had me put medicated"packing"stuff into it and cover it with gauze and tape, I'm still having to do that but it's nearly healed. I didn't do anything to cause it to open, but I'm not skinny and part of the incision was in a skin fold so it wasn't staying dry enough and...well...it just opened. I'll be soooo glad when this is over with and I can just look back on it. I have to have chemo and then radiation and they won't start it until I'm healed up abdominally, at least on the outside.
Unread 05-30-2005, 12:49 AM
Incision split open

Hello. I'm sorry I have no experience with a split incision but I'm so sorry that happened to you. I think if you feel like it isn't healing well you should go in and see your own doctor as soon as you can. At least call and tell them your concerns. I will be thinking of you and hoping for a speedy recovery.

lynn39

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register