how long before travel? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

how long before travel? how long before travel?

Unread 01-02-2005, 09:48 PM
how long before travel?

hey everyone,
I was wondering if anyone could share their thoughts regarding how soon to travel after surgery. I am having a TAH, I am hoping sometime in January, I'll know tomorrow- I hope! I have travel plans for the 7th of march. It is a pleasure trip, and I could give it up if I have to, but I sooooo look forward to enjoying getting into a warmer climate, I can be fairly inactive- just lay by the pool, I hope (I'll try not to care about having a swelly belly- maybe it will be a little better by then, yes?) and going to watch some professional tennis, (very exciting for me, I really am tennis crazy) Has anyone traveled after? how soon? should I give up on the idea? or keep it at least to give me something to hope for and look forward to?
thanks for your thoughts,
Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-02-2005, 10:07 PM
how long before travel?

Hi Sandy!

I don't think anyone can really tell you if you will be up to taking a trip a few weeks after surgery. It is something that you and your doctor will have to decide when the time comes.

Everyone heals at their own pace. I didn't have any major problems traveling by car 6 weeks post-op, but others might. It wasn't a terribly long trip and I made sure my doctor ok'd it. I took the time to stop, get out of the car and walk a little. It helped me a lot to get out and stretch my legs.

There are sisters who have taken longer trips by car and by plane. I'm sure that someone will come along and share their experience with you.

My thought is to be sure to discuss it with your doctor and get his/her ok and then if you do go ahead and take your trip, take your time and rest when you need to.

I wish you the very best! s

Deb
Unread 01-03-2005, 08:02 AM
how long before travel?

IF you're reasonably fit, walk and move as much as you should during recovery, stop and stretch your legs for ten minutes every hour or so during your trip, AND make sure your doctor approves, you should be OK to travel.

I made a seven hour car trip less than three weeks following an abdomial hyst with a vertical incision and a fourteen hour trip at about four and a half weeks. My recovery went very well in general, though, so that was a large factor. Also, I was really good to walk a LOT (including stairs while still in the hospital) and really careful not to lift or strain. In addition, I ate really nutritiously and drank tons of water. In other words, I did what my doc told me to do and my recovery was really smooth.

Again, check with your doc and I hope you are able to take your trip, watch great tennis and have a blast.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 01-03-2005, 10:17 AM
how long before travel?

I know that even 6 weeks after surgery, it was hard for me to travel any real distance. I discovered at about 5 weeks that I really needed to stand frequently -- at least once an hour for several minutes. Sitting was really quite uncomfortable at that point for some reason.

If I were you, I'd keep my plans open. If you feel well enough and your doctor says it's OK to travel in early March, it will be a fantastic reward. If you're not well enough or your doctor advises you to wait, you can always make the trip at another time.

Good luck to you!
Unread 01-03-2005, 11:51 AM
how long before travel?

My TAH was on 12/21. On 12/29 I took a 1 1/2 hour trip up north to the lake where we spent our New Year's.

When I asked my doctor if that would be crazy, he said that, as long as:

1) I was feeling well enough
2) I would get out of the car every time I felt like it
3) when I got to our destination, I'd be doing the same I had been doing in my home (i.e., almost nothing)
4) there was a hospital no more than half hour far from the house, just in case...

...then I could go. And I am really glad I did. The change of scenario really lift up my mood. Lying on a couch, reading a book, with the lake in the background, was fantastic!

However, as some have said here, it all depends on how your own recovery has been. If I could do it 8 days post-op, I think many of us could do it after a few weeks. But if you don't feel you can, then just take your time. It's better to wait a little more and have real fun when you do it.

All the best!

Vera
Unread 01-03-2005, 01:41 PM
how long before travel?

I am scheduled for a TAH on March 25, 2005. Before finding out I would need this surgery I had booked a vacation/tour to Ireland for 2 weeks starting May 21, just 8 weeks after my surgery. When my doctor scheduled me for the surgery I told her about my plans and she said she felt I would be ok to travel.

I'm in pretty good physical shape now, I work out at the gym 6 days a week, but as a precaution I am dedicating the next 3 months to getting into even better condition in hopes that my recovey will be a speedy and "uneventful" one. Also, I am sure that I will be chomping at the bit to start walking as soon as I can after surgery.

I'd be interested in hearing back from you during your recovery to see how it's progessing so that I might have a gauge to use for my own recuperation.

My 2 cents worth is that you should probably keep your vacation plans and talk with your doctor during your recovery to see how you are feeling and adjust your plans accordingly.
Unread 01-03-2005, 07:59 PM
how long before travel?

Hi, I also have some major travel plans 3 weeks after TAH BOS. I am flying to another country to go lay on a beach. Plan to do nothing much once I get there, just hoping for the best. My doctor ok'd it, but hopefully I will feel like it. good luck to you.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register