Upcoming hysterectomy 5/11: Keep ovaries even if I'm 52 and haven't had a period in 5 months? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Upcoming hysterectomy 5/11:  Keep ovaries even if I'm 52 and haven't had a period in 5 months? Upcoming hysterectomy 5/11: Keep ovaries even if I'm 52 and haven't had a period in 5 months?

Unread 05-09-2016, 10:01 PM
Upcoming hysterectomy 5/11: Keep ovaries even if I'm 52 and haven't had a period in 5 months?

Hope I can get some opinions here...I'm new to the group and my laparoscopic hysterectomy is 2 days away! My gynecological oncologist (because of precancerous uterine cells found) has left it totally up to me as to whether or not he'll take the ovaries. He said he could go either way...no history of ovarian cancer in my family, but I am (clearly) done with having children, and I seem to have just entered menopause (or very close) this year--no menstruating for 5+ months. What are your thoughts about this? If my ovaries aren't really working anymore (or at least, I'm not ovulating), would I be dumb to have them taken at this point in my life? I have already experienced mild to moderate hot flashes, which I've handled relatively well. I just don't want to face each day with worry if I leave them. Thoughts? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2016, 02:15 AM
Re: It's up to me: Keep ovaries even if I'm 52 and haven't had a period in 5 months?

It sounds like the only reason to remove your ovaries in your case is if there's a cancer risk. And it sounds there isn't. There's some literature that says the ovaries help with our heart health. I just don't see any good reason to remove healthy body parts.
Unread 05-10-2016, 10:35 AM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 5/11: Keep ovaries even if I'm 52 and haven't had a period in 5 months?

Even though a woman's menstruation may have stopped, most women's ovaries continue to produce hormones, just a lesser amount. Those hormones are very important for physical and psychological well-being. If there are no risks specific to you for ovarian cancer, I would really think about keeping as much of your body intact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 05-10-2016, 07:44 PM
Re: Upcoming hysterectomy 5/11: Keep ovaries even if I'm 52 and haven't had a period in 5 months?

Hi lmoro7488 -

Here are articles that may provide information:
Should I Keep My Ovaries if I Am Near Menopause?
Surgical Menopause after Natural Menopause

I had a TAH BSO, so I lost everything at age 46 - no choice. Surgical menopause for me was MISERABLE. I would have kept my ovaries if I could have. I am on HRT, and it has given me my life back but it is not the same as my own hormones. My GP says being on the HRT is better for my health.

Think about it, but make the right decision for you.

Good luck with your surgery - we will be waiting for you on the other side.

Unread 05-10-2016, 08:11 PM

I had a total abdominal hysterectomy 3 years years ago for endometrial cancer stage 1a grade 1. I was 50 years old at the time.
Please remember that even though you may be in menopause your ovaries are still producing some estrogen . Also endometrial/ uterine cancer is estrogen fed.
As for me my cancer was caught early so I needed no further treatment, just follow ups. I could not do HRT because of the cancer diagnosis but has not been bad at all. There are things that you can do to deal with the symptoms of menopause.(supplements etc...)You might want to go on the cancer concerns forum of this site because there are women on there who have gone through what you are going through.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register