Any advice...I am so tired after surgery! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Any advice...I am so tired after surgery! Any advice...I am so tired after surgery!

Unread 08-28-2009, 10:17 AM
Any advice...I am so tired after surgery!

Hi everyone:

I hope you are all recovering well.

I had my surgery 3 weeks ago today ( TLH with left ovary and both tubes removed, still have my right ovary). I had fibroids pressing on my bowel, bladder and they were also affecting my right kidney.
I think I am recovering fairly well except I have the emotional roller coaster and most of all, I feel extremely tired. I am also not sleeping well. Walking for short distances tire me out. I am tired even doing nothing. I am starting to wonder if I am just lazy.
I have a form of anemia (thalassemia) which makes me tired anyway, but have noticed that I am even more tired after the surgery.
I thought by this time I would have had a little more energy as the fibroids were removed.

I have my follow up appointment on September 17 but I have to go back to work on September 8 so I sure would like to feel a little better by then.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks so much and have a positive day!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2009, 10:28 AM
Re: Any advice...I am so tired after surgery!

Natasha-
I'm sorry you're struggling right now! It is so hard to feel so wiped out, I agree! And I don't have low iron issues to complicate things. I'm not a dr- my disclaimer- but are you on any other daily vitamins? Our bodies are working so hard to heal, and remember, you are really still early on, all things considered. INITIAL recovery is 6 weeks....
Hang in there, pamper yourself as much as you can! What do you do for work? Maybe we can brainstorm ideas that will help make it easier for you?
Unread 08-28-2009, 10:30 AM

Unfortunately the tiredness may continue for a while yet. I'm at 7 weeks and while I have more energy and do more I also get very tired from it. I start work half days next week so I am concerned about maintaining my energy level. At 3 weeks you still need to rest a lot to let yourself heal. Insomnia seems to be a common complaint. Mine lasted till about week 6. But I'd given up on hot flashes and had started HRT about a week before. Good luck with your recovery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 08-28-2009, 10:38 AM

I'm just after two weeks post-op, but spending a lot of time resting and sleeping. Due to the constant bleeding, I was anemic post-op and I'm sure it got slightly worse during the surgery.

I had a blood test at the two week point and have improved to borderline anemic. It takes a l-o-n-g time for those red blood cells to improve.

As one doc told me while I was recovering from another surgery, it takes most folks around 12 months to feel normal after a surgery. I guess that means we can't apply derogatory labels to ourselves for feeling tired until 12 months and 1 day.
Unread 08-28-2009, 10:44 AM

Like gjf said, it can last quite awhile. I read about it a lot before my surgery and thought I'd somehow be different. I was wrong. I'll be at the 6 wk point next Tuesday and still feel really tired when I do much of anything. I went shopping yesterday and planned to stop at 2 stores. After the 1st stop, I felt too tired and came home. I'm planning to go back 1/2 days next week and I actually hope it'll perk me up. At 3 weeks though, you really need to just listen to your body and rest, rest, and rest some more. The time will fly and you can get back to all those things that kept you busy in no time. Enjoy the books and movies you've never had time for
Unread 08-28-2009, 10:44 AM

Hi there, thanks for your prompt response.
I actually only started taking my vitamins again about a week ago. I take a total one multivitamin, omega 3-6-9, Vitamin D, Calcium-magnesium, and only last night started B12.

I work in office administration so I really only work at a desk all day but i am just concerned about my energy levels to make a full day.

Thanks for your input!

I so don't want to start second guessing my decision to have this surgery.
And, i am so grateful to this site for all the positive comments from everyone.
Unread 08-28-2009, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natasha1 View Post
I work in office administration so I really only work at a desk all day but i am just concerned about my energy levels to make a full day.
I have the same type of job and yet, I still worry. I'm going to try 1/2 days for two weeks and hope that easing back in won't be as difficult. I've heard that some women went back to work and found it too much and took a little more time off. I do hope you're not having 2nd thoughts or questioning the surgery based on the fatigue. It really will get better. I'm counting on it
Unread 08-28-2009, 12:54 PM

Tired seems to be the norm. I went back to work on day 30 for half a day at a time the first three days back, and then have been going to work full time since that time. I rest alot.....go straight home after work and eat something healthy and then rest. One of the things I do that I believe is helpful is earting more fruits and vegetables. I also am eating easy to digest proteins --such as baked chicken or mild cheeses. Finally, at day 41 post-op I am gathering a little bit of energy.
Still looking forward to resting during this weekend.
It seems that patience .....healthy eating and daily physical activity builds strength.
Hope this information is helpful. I was anxious during my 3rd week post-op, also......such little energy. Now, slowly the energy is starting to come back.
Best of luck to you.
Unread 08-28-2009, 01:13 PM

I agree with everyone. Being tired is normal even though it seems as though you should be able to do alot more. I was still tired at 10 weeks about early afternoon, it felt like I had been through intense physical work but each week it tends to improve. The most important thing....I learned the hard way is to listen to your body and don't push yourself right now. Fatigue and lack of sleep takes a toll. Take it easy, you'll be glad you did.
Unread 08-28-2009, 01:21 PM

I am 3 weeks and 2 days out and I too am very tired. It doesn't take too much to wipe me out. I went to my first post-op appt yesterday and dr wanted to make sure I was still napping once or twice a day plus getting extra sleep at night, and said I would be needing to do that for about another 4 weeks at least. She said the tiredness is normal.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register