Has anyone else been told to try or tried lupron? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Options and Alternatives

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Has anyone else been told to try or tried lupron? Has anyone else been told to try or tried lupron?

Unread 09-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Has anyone else been told to try or tried lupron?

I started to read the ablation posts because on 9/6/11 I went in for an ablation. Essentially all that ended up happening was a D&C, and biopsy because my gyn made 3 attempts to do the novasure ablation. He said my uterus was too enlarged and the "machine" wouldn't allow it to be completed. A few days prior to my outpatient procedure the results of my ultrasound showed my fibroid had enlarged to 6 cm. I woke up in recovery only to be disappointed that the option for ablation wasn't successful and apparently no longer a viable option for me. Told me my uterus is enlarged to about 4 month pregnancy...which I am clearly not pregnant. Tubal ligation over 20 yrs ago. My bleeding was so heavy this summer I became extremely anemic. Now my dr has ordered lupron, which I am not sure I want to try. (read so many things that it simply scares me) The only other option if I pass on the shots is a hysterectomy. My doctor is pushing for the shots, but honestly I think I would prefer surgery. Has anyone else been told to try or tried lupron? I am wondering if the end result is that you end up having surgery a year later anyway post shots?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2011, 10:13 AM
Re: Has anyone else been told to try or tried lupron?

My questions would be, if it is an injection, how long does it stay in my body and system? Because once it goes in your not taking it out. What are the side effects? Good Luck!
Unread 09-24-2011, 06:22 PM

Aprilfawn- I was unable to have a Novasure ablation also but mine was because I had scarring from a fibroid removal. The thing is there are multiple types of ablations and there is a good chance that you might be able to try on of the other types. I have to go to a different doctor because my gynecologist only does Novasure but they are hopeful that I can have an ablation but with using a different type. You might want to check out endometrialablationboard.com which is a discussion forum for women who have had ablations. Ablation may still be an option for you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-24-2011, 07:09 PM

They gave me an injection of deprovera and I was in horrible conditon for 6 months...After I got it my nurse practicioner passed me in the hallway and said....if this doesn't work how are you getting it out of you...I would have advised you differently...Good Luck
Unread 09-26-2011, 11:18 PM

I was given Lupron to give my body a break after a 2-month period. I got three whole days of no bleeding before it came back. At the time I had a 5 cm fibroid. I was told it would put me in medical menopause, but I felt no difference, not even a hot flash. It did help my mood swings some.
I then tried UFE and here I am, 9 months later with a TAH. I can't recommend the UFE.
In the past I had success with a DaVinci myomectomy (I was actually the first one the Army did). I would recommend getting another opinion, see if that option is available.
There are other ways of handling the fibroid, Lupron is just one gun in the arsenal and it may be just what you need. I believe they limit you to a six month series, but that 6 months can buy you some time if you want to research your options. It's smart to ask questions here; you get a wider range of experiences than the pamphlets give you.
Just FYI, the shot is given in the upper buttock, once a month. Not terribly painful, just didn't seem to work for me.
Unread 09-27-2011, 10:45 AM

Lupron is the big gun of medicine. It is given to men for prostrate cancer. The side effects can be extremely hellish. I did a 6 month round in 1996 for endometriosis and I did two more months in Jan and Feb 2011. It was my last ditch effort before my complete hysterectomy in June 2011. I had many female problems. I had endo, poly cystic ovaries, fibroids, just to name a few. I had the Nova Sure in 2009 and it stopped my bleeding completely but did nothing for the pain due to the endo. Lupron is some serious stuff. What ever you do, do not do the 3 month shot. If you are going to have a reaction to this drug, it is much easier to come off/out of a one month shot than a three month shot. There is a lot of information out there on lupron and it is strictly a personal decision. Only you can decide what is put into your body and if the risks/side effects are worth it to you. Do not let a doctor force you into anything. Take some time and clearly look at what would be the in the best interest and possible outcome for you. While on Lupron the first time, my periods stopped completely but once off the drug they came back once my hormones balanced back out. With the second round this year, I had already had the Nova Sure and bleeding wasn't an issue. It was for more pain related issues and endo. After two months this time, it wasn't working for what I needed it to do and also wasn't worth all the side effects it was causing me personally. Plus, the shots are extremely costly. This time around, they were 600.00 a shot. My insurance paid all but 50.00. I had to buy three months so I donate the last shot to the clinic I was using. It's not like the pharmacy will give you a refund on this type of thing. Just educate yourself. You always have the final say because it is your body. Don't be bullied into something you aren't sure of by anyone. Including your doctor. Good luck!

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register