relief from the pmdd after having your ovaries removed? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

relief from the pmdd after having your ovaries removed? relief from the pmdd after having your ovaries removed?

Unread 11-09-2010, 10:14 PM
relief from the pmdd after having your ovaries removed?

Hi...I'd love to know how it worked out for you & if you've gotten total relief from the pmdd after having your ovaries removed. I pray it was all you hoped for. My surgery will be sceduled soon, I am so very nervous.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2010, 05:21 AM
Re: Hyst. for PMDD?

Hi there. After having my hysterectomy, nearly a year ago, I have never felt better. I had both ovaries removed as well. I feel a million percent better, living with PMDD is not a way to live. It's the best thing I've ever done for myself and has really had a great impact on the quality of my life. Best of luck please let me know if I can answer any other questions you might have.
Unread 11-10-2010, 07:33 AM

Thank you Kellyfl! I am so glad to hear that your quality of life improved so much, that is the outcome I am hoping for as well. PMDD has controlled my life & emotions for far too long. I am terrified that I may be trading one set of problems for another as others have posted. Do you mind me asking your age & if you have been using HRT? I am 49 and considering no HRT post op in hopes of becoming the kind, easy going person that I once was prior to the rage of hormone inbalance I've suffered with for so many years. Thank you so much for letting me know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. :-)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 11-10-2010, 08:15 AM

Hi Bailey, is that your name? I'm Kelly obviously. I just turned 40 in August, so 39 at the time of surgery. I was in the exact same boat as you are. PMS, PMDD whatever you want to call it had really controlled my life since my late teens and got progressively worse in my 20's. I remember talking to my surgeon about the possibility of trading "symptoms" but in my case I followed my instincts because only I knew how I really felt, I could tell people and they'd look at me like oh, you'll feel better soon, but no one knows your body like you do. There was absolutely no question in my mind that I wanted both ovaries gone as they were the culprits for the fluctuation. The doctor even said to me last visit you know Kelly, now when people come to me and say they want both ovaries taken I listen to them a little more closely because of you and how well you've done. As for HRT, I was very skeptical as my Mom had breast cancer, I have been taking a low dose, .025 of the vivelle patch, and I have to say, I haven't had any problems with it. If I don't replace the patch regularly I'll get some sweats, but I have to say it's nothing compared to the torrential downpour I had before the surgery, life is much more enjoyable. No more debilitating migraines, cramps, backaches, swelling, and believe me, my symptoms were bad, I'd bloat to where I looked about 6 months pregnant. Listen to your body, don't second guess yourself, you know.
Unread 11-12-2010, 02:04 PM
Re: relief from the pmdd after having your ovaries removed?

Bailey I have felt wonderful since my surgery. It will be a year 12/16/10 . I have gained a few pounds but will live with that since I no longer have the pmdd symptoms no nad nothing. Feeling great and I wish I would of do this along time ago. You do not have to suffer. The hot flashes were bad about a month after my surgery but know I am on hormoes and everything is peachy.
Unread 11-12-2010, 05:36 PM

I am almost 3 years post op, and sometimes still cry about how great I'm feeling. I've been lucky and have had no problems whatsoever. I'll continue on 2mg estrace for several years(I'm 47 now).
I remember being at the stage you're at, Bailey, and being nervous yet excited about the prospect of not yelling, not crying, not waking up with a feeling of dread. (hence the name almost over).
I'm very excited for you. You will soon be living a normal life!
Deanna
Unread 11-15-2010, 08:16 PM

Thank you so much for your kind words & support ladies. I feel so much better & less apprehensive about my upcoming surgery. I'm so glad you all have had such great experiences & are living better lives. Other who have not experienced PMDD can't begin to imagine the torture we live with...I feel lke I am in "survival mode" most of the time. There is no joy or happiness in life when your hormones are at war most of time. My 24 year old daughter also experiences PMS...I swore that I would do everything in my power to find a solution for her if she inherited it. Hopefully after she has all of her babies she will consider surgery as well. I would hate to have her waste as many years miserable as I have. I am so excited to feel lke a normal person again! I have to wait 6 weeks for my surgery but feel great knowing that there is an end in sight. Thank you for all of your positive feedback
Unread 11-20-2010, 01:31 PM

Hi girls
Hope you don't mind me jumping in but this is the most positive PMDD thread I've seen in a while!
I am contemplating hyst +ovary removal for PMDD. I had trouble with PMDD in teenage years and since having one ovary removed last year it has returned with vengeance. I am currently on estrogen only to suppress my cycle, and whilst I am finding the cyclical fluctuations are less, and the crushing depression is not so bad, I am struggling with what feels like a constant estrogen "up" most days and I am having heart palps, anxiety, insomnia.
It has been suggested I have a hyst as I have suspected adenomyosis but I am having a tough time deciding whether to take the plunge with having my remaining ovary out. I am 34 and gyno is concerned surgical meno will just trade problems.
I don't seem to have an issue with estrogen when it is at a lower level so I'm hoping this bodes well for HRT in future.
I spend too much time longing for my last ovary to get something seriously wrong with it so I have no option but to have it removed which is just me being a coward and not wanting to make a decision.
It is so wonderful to hear some positive post op accounts, and Baileylove - wishing you all the best for yours.
If any of you have any wisdom or if any of you can relate to the estrogen anxiety I would so love to hear
Thank you
Casey x
Unread 11-20-2010, 03:00 PM

From what I understand from reading medical articles and studies, PMDD is not because of abnormal(either high or low) hormone levels, but and abnormal response to normal hormone levels and fluctuations. And it is also thought to be progesterone that the body has the abnormal response to, no estrogen. Which is why taking estrogen post hysterectomy doesn't give us symptoms again. I never had heart palpatations, but anxiety, exhaustion, lack of concentration, crying, depression, anger.....that I can relate to!
Deanna
Unread 11-20-2010, 03:01 PM

Hi Casey,
I'm sorry your experiencing such terrible symptoms, I can totally relate, my estrogen levels are crazy high & I have the same symptoms as you. My Doc has prescribed ativan(anti anxiety) med to use as needed & it has made a big difference. I try to only take it whan I am at my worst as it can be quite addictive. I have to remind myself daily that I am not insane....just "hormonally challenged". I hope you do the same. I know lots of people have tried Lupron (a med that stops hormone cycles) and puts you into a menopausal state prior to making their surgery decision. From what I understand, if your body does well while on the medication it indicates that you will do well after surgical menopause? Do you mind me asking if you have children or plan to? Loosing your remaining ovary could be a very emotional experience as well. I based my decision on my quality of life, or lack there of. I feel that even if I do need to take HRT after, it will be so much easier to manage having a "clean slate" hormonally to work from. It is not an easy decision, I feel for you & understand how agonizing it can be. Wishing you good thoughts. Hugs! XO, Bailey

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register