How long is the recovery for a abdominal hyst? | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

How long is the recovery for a abdominal hyst? How long is the recovery for a abdominal hyst?

Unread 09-03-2001, 01:49 PM
How long is the recovery for a abdominal hyst?

I go in for an abdominal hyst on Sept 12th, and was wondering about how long is the recovery period before you can go back to work? I work at a desk most of the day, so no strenuous lifting.
I am also overweight and I am concerned with the healing of the incision. I have read on here that the healing went fine, I am just concerned. Also, how long does the surgery take?
Guess I am just real nervous about the whole thing.
Thanks for your response.

Heather
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2001, 02:14 PM

Hi Heather Welcome to Hyster Sisters. You're in the right place for userful information and lots and lots of support.

Initial recovery for a TAH and TVH is the same: 6 to 8 weeks. By that time, you'll be about 40 % recovered and released to slowly resume your normal activities. While it may seem that a sitting job would require less time off, you have to remember that sitting is an activity, an activity that puts a lots of stress on your stitches.

As you've read, it seams that being overweight doesn't have that much bearing on your recovery, aside from having to be a little more careful about keeping the incision area free of moisture.

On average, surgery lasts 1 to 3 hours, depending on what has to be done. There will also be extra time in the recovery room before you are "driven" to your room in the castle.

Believe me, it's normal to be nervous before this major surgery. That's why we say that the waiting is the hardest part. Don't worry: we'll be right there with you, every step of the way.
Unread 09-03-2001, 03:04 PM

Hi Heather. I went back to work 4 hours a day at 7 weeks...6 hours a day at 8 weeks...and back to 8 hours a day at 9 weeks post. The first week back was pretty hard. I was sore and exhausted at the end of 4 hours...so got back in bed when I got home.

Surgery length is different for everyone...just depends on what needs to be done. Mine was about 1 1/2 hours.

Pre-op jitters is very normal. We'll be here for you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 09-03-2001, 08:12 PM

After my TAH/BSO, I was back to work full-time at 6 weeks (desk job).

Previous to having the surgery, I was so sure I would be back at least part-time at 4 weeks (I thought I was having a LAVH), but it didn't work out that way. As it turned out, I needed every bit of the 6 weeks. I felt pretty good at 4-5 weeks, but still got tired easily.

I believe the surgical time varies, depending on exactly what they have to do. I believe I was in surgery about 2 hrs.

Best of luck to you.
Unread 09-04-2001, 12:49 PM

Hi Heather:

I understand how nervous you are. I have been there. My surgery was Jan 11, 2001. It was the first time in a hospital after the birth of my 18 year old.

I am also a large lady.

My sugery was uneventful. I was in the hospital 3 days (Thurs-Sun). The cather was taken out mid-afternoon on Fri. Didn't hurt at all. In fact, when they remove it, it sounded like a champane cork

I had a great group of nurses. Very understanding.

I was back at work (full time) 7 1/2 week later. I too have a desk job (no lifting or filing).

I would say when you get back to work is to take it easy. Take something to prop up your feet. You will feel tired the first week.

I hope this help.....

Let me know if you have any questions.

Jerry
Unread 09-04-2001, 02:24 PM

Hi Heather,
I went back to work (teaching) at 8 weeks part time. I'm 9-1/2 weeks post op now and still get pretty tired at the end of the day. Today I taught, went grocery shopping, and lugged the bags in the house and now I feel achy and exhauted. Just give your body time to heal and rest when it tells you to.

The waiting is the worst part. You will see! I wish you the best.
Eileen

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register