scheduled surgery and scared! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

scheduled surgery and scared! scheduled surgery and scared!

Unread 04-08-2010, 02:51 PM
scheduled surgery and scared!

Hello ladies, first of all I am so glad I found this site. I am hoping I can get the support I need here. I am scheduled for my surgery on April 20th. Its happening so much faster than I expected but I am glad in a way to get it over with. Here is what I am so scared about. How do you know if you are making the right decision or not? Everyone keeps telling me that's my decision and my decision only but when I give my opinions to my loved ones I don't feel supported. Well, mainly my husband, I think he is just scared but I need him more than ever right now and he can't see that. I know i don't want anymore babies I was blessed with three, my pregnancies were horrible and the last pregnancy he came 4 weeks early. So I am blessed with my family and I thank God every day for it but I can't take this pain anymore! Living with Endo for most of my adult life I just want a normal life, I am not sure if a hysto will give me that but I am willing to take that chance. Do any of you know the percentage of the endo of returning after a hysto. I know its not the cure but I am in desperate need of some relief. I have been to three - four different doctors and this is what they recommend for me. I also have gone to the cleveland clinic to see if they could find anything else that would cause all my pain and nothing, came right to the endo. So here I am. Thanks for listening to me bable, I guess I am nervous and scared and just need to talk to people who understand what I am feeling!

Lisa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Re: scheduled surgery and scared!

Lisa...I am also brand new to this website. It was a very difficult decision to have this procedure (I will have LSH in four days). I can tell that my husband is also a little bothered by the whole idea and I sense that it is because he simply does not understand the full extent of my misery. I have become pretty good at carrying on even when I am miserable. I am tired.

I struggled making the decision but finally decided to trust myself. I know this is a good decision.

I hope you get your husbands support and find peace with your decision.

Unread 04-08-2010, 04:25 PM

ladies! I am glad you both found this site. It is a wonderful site as everyone here is very supportive as we can all relate to all the different emotions we are all feeling as we go thru this journey. Just remember why you made your decision to have surgery ...to feel healthy again. Hang in there new sisters...and ask away.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2010, 11:34 PM

For me, I knew it was the right decision because I had finally reached the point of "I absolutely cannot do this pain anymore. This is not right and I need help."
I'd reached my breaking point and knew it was time to see the doctor for a possible hysterectomy.

It is an individual decision and you have to do what is right for YOU. I bet your family will get on board with it when they see how much it means to you that you'll be well again. Your husband probably is nervous about it too. I think they just don't tell us that.

Not to say that you might not have some doubts along the way. When I feel scared sometimes, I want to run in the other direction.

Hugs, and I'm glad you're here.
Unread 04-09-2010, 08:10 AM

I went through the horrible "decision making" debate for over two years, with no-one to decide for/with me. However, once I made the decision, I feel so calm about it - it is the right thing to do (for me) . This site is doing the job of taking all the jitters away...
The bottom line is - although it is a difficult decision to make - it has to be yours. Moreover, whatever you decide - is going to be the best for you.

Hugs, and best wishes,
Laurie
Unread 04-09-2010, 10:37 AM

I can't say that I struggled with the decision as you are, but I can tell you that it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. Living with the pain since my early 20's, I had enough. I am just over a month after my surgery and feeling so much better already. I also have 3 children. They were nervous about the surgery as well but are happy now that I am feeling better. I was in so much pain with my periods that my 9 year old was scared and wanted me to go to the hospital. They are much happier that mom is feeling better and happy. I hope maybe this helps you with your decision. What ever way you decide I hope you are feeling better.
Unread 04-09-2010, 11:48 AM

Lisa,
welcome and i hope you find lots of support on here, before surgery and after. There are so many people "in your shoes" that I am sure you will find some help. Even if it is just expressing your thoughts to people that can totally relate!

Sue
LAVH/BSO
HRT Vivelle dot .75
Unread 04-09-2010, 12:18 PM

Hi Lisa~ I understand. I took 4 years (after 20 yrs of pain) to decide. In December I hurt so bad that I finally called another respected gynocologist. She found adenomyosis for which there are no current permanent solutions besides a hyst. I'm in the US, and sad to say that with the uncertainty in the economy and political/insurance world, I thought I had better call my own shots while I could....It was a good decision. It has been 5 weeks....I have to remind myself: "I would have had another period by now-- Wow, no pain!" Now I can have the confidence that my body won't betray me every month and I can do what I need for me and my family. Hooray! Also, the time in the hospital wasn't that bad, the pain medicine worked, and now I'm getting ready to get back to work~ a new woman with freedom and strength. Thank goodness I don't have to put up with it any longer, and neither do you.
Unread 04-13-2010, 03:24 PM

Thank you to everyone that has replied. I have decided to do the surgery so I had my pre-op appointment today. Now it feels so real. I am getting scared and nervous. I think the main thing I am worried about it leaving my kids for the night. My youngest will turn 3 months day after surgery and I haven't left him yet. But another concern of mine is not being able to lift anything after surgery. I am having the DaVinci. Any suggestions on how to take care of kids and not carry anything?
Unread 04-13-2010, 03:57 PM

I'm glad you decided to have the surgery. It's the best thing I ever did. I would have to recommend that you have a family member or a friend help you while your hubby is at work or maybe he can take a few day or week off to help you. You honestly will need your rest the 1st few weeks. This is major surgery no matter how you have it done and I'm out 4 weeks today and I'm still very tired after just taking a shower or taking a walk. Good Luck and being scared and nervous is totally normal. The wait is the hardest part. The surgery was easy.

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register