Scary Experience w/Pain Meds ~ Help! | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Hysterectomy Recovery (post hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scary Experience w/Pain Meds ~ Help! Scary Experience w/Pain Meds ~ Help!

Unread 06-30-2005, 07:01 PM
Scary Experience w/Pain Meds ~ Help!

I'm two weeks post op, and I've been on 3 different pain meds since coming home. Darvacet made me have nausea. Then I was put on Lorcet Plus. I woke up two nights ago completely out of my head and vomiting.

I'm staying at my parents' home during recovery. I don't remember anything other than vaguely being ill. I apparently fell down in the bathroom and bumped my head. I have a small knot on my head and a big bruise on my elbow.

I called my doctor the next day and was switched to Tylenol 3. So far I've not had anymore problems. My doc's nurse has called the last two mornings to check on me.

I received my Hystersisters' Checkpoints email today, and it mentioned all of the internal stitches and how long it takes for them to heal. Since I fell that night, it kind of scared me to think that maybe I've done some unknown damage internally. I would have thought that the doctor would have wanted to see me if he thought there might be a problem, but I guess I'm looking to you all for reassurance.

Does anyone have any suggestions or things to look for in case I have done some damage? Has anyone else had this bad of a side effect to their pain meds? Thank God for my parents. I know they've been worried about me, and I'm so thankful to have them here with me.

Thanks as always for your advice and support!
s
Klia
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 06-30-2005, 07:07 PM

Last week during my two week visit to my surgeon, he said there was nothing I could do to cause internal damage to myself and not to worry about such things. I have been swimming quite vigorously the last five days (I'm 3 weeks out today) and while everything still feels weird and hard and tender and sometimes painful, I think it's all normal. The sensation of pulling is normal too, I heard. Try not to worry unless you're having really serious pain and call your doc if you are.

I got really weird on pecoset, thought if I went to sleep I'd stop breathing. It still comes over me every now and again. Some of this may lingering effect of anaesthesia. Plus plain old fear. Hysterectomy is no small thing. If the tylenol 3 works, stick with it. Good luck!
Unread 06-30-2005, 08:08 PM

You could see about Ibuprofen, I was put on 600mg 4 times daily, for inflammation, after pulling some stitches, will a slight mishap in hospital. If you fell, you at the very least probably pulled some of those tender muscles, so don't be surprised if one are takes longer to heal, I am just now getting over mine. It caused not upset stomach either. Do not take the over the counter ones I was told by the nurse they can cause an upset stomach, the ones from the script are made with a differnet base to allow you take a higher mg.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-01-2005, 12:16 PM

Thanks for the info ladies. I'm almost out of pain meds, and I'm still experiencing quite a lot of discomfort in my belly. Outside of my bathroom experience, I've tried to take it easy.

Has anyone had to take pain meds longer than the two week period? I'm glad I've found something that works finally. The Ibuprofin sounds safe too. As you can imagine, I'm a little leary about trying anything new.

Thanks again sisters!
Klia

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register