I need some knowledge | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
Advertising Info HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters.com is a massive online community with over 475,000 members and over 5 million posts.

Our community is filled with women who have been through the Hysterectomy experience providing both advice and support from our active members and moderators.

HysterSisters.com is located at 111 Peter St, Toronto, Canada, M5V2H1 and is part of the VerticalScope network of websites.

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

I need some knowledge I need some knowledge

Unread 07-18-2005, 11:04 PM
I need some knowledge

This may sound stupid but, is a complete hyst the same as a total? My dr told me that I would have an abdominal cut about 3" long, and that he was taking "everything" does this mean my cervix goes too? I was told that if necessary I would be put on estrogen following surgery, is this HRT? Lastly, there is a history of breast cancer in my family (my mom, she died when she was 48, after a 5 year battle), would it be wise to take estrogen at all? Thanks in advance for any information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-18-2005, 11:13 PM
I need some knowledge

I think you should ask your doctor exactly what he is taking. I also think you should tell your doctor about your family history of breast cancer. These are very important issues and you should be informed by the doctor what he plans. Usually when the doctor says everything he means a total hysterectomy, thats uterus, cervix, tubes and ovaries. HRT is estrogen or any of the hormones. HRT means hormone replacement therapy. I dont think doctors usually put you on hormones if you have a history of breast cancer in your family, or if they do they watch you and try to only use them a short period of time. In any case your doctor should know about this history of cancer in your family and you should ask him about the risk and benifits and what plans he has for you so that you know specifically what is going on.
Unread 07-18-2005, 11:19 PM
I need some knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julia1969
I think you should ask your doctor exactly what he is taking. I also think you should tell your doctor about your family history of breast cancer. These are very important issues and you should be informed by the doctor what he plans. Usually when the doctor says everything he means a total hysterectomy, thats uterus, cervix, tubes and ovaries. HRT is estrogen or any of the hormones. HRT means hormone replacement therapy. I dont think doctors usually put you on hormones if you have a history of breast cancer in your family, or if they do they watch you and try to only use them a short period of time. In any case your doctor should know about this history of cancer in your family and you should ask him about the risk and benifits and what plans he has for you so that you know specifically what is going on.
Julia,
Thanks for the quick reply. My doctor knows about my family history. He did say that if I needed estrogen, it would be a one time shot for a very short time. Nonetheless, I will speak more in depth regarding the estrogen, I am still concerned about using any of it for any length of time. Perhaps there is an alternative. Again thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 07-19-2005, 03:16 AM
I need some knowledge

Hiya NC...there is a place here where you can read up on natural alternatives for HRT. My grandma died of breast cancer, and my Dr. has me on HRT too, he gave me a year persc. And I don't think i'll be having the persc. refilled when this bottle's gone. I know it's helped alot, but i'm scared of the long term stuff that could happen. So goto "hormone jungle" for the natural, herbal alternatives they have out here for help with menopause symptoms....
Hugz
Bernadette
Unread 07-19-2005, 06:56 AM
I need some knowledge

Hi nclady,

Actually, there are no stupid questions when it comes to gaining knowledge about your own health or surgery . You have some very good questions.

Yes, taking estrogen is HRT, but there are different kinds available. Some good information about HRT and alternatives is here at Hormone Jungle Articles: https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/hsl...s=&forumid=174

Do you know for sure that they will "take" your ovaries? Do you know the reason? Surgical Menopause is much more difficult than regular menopause. Your ovaries, even after regular menopause, continue to make small amounts of needed estrogen. There are many women, who for one reason or other, cannot take estrogen after surgical menopause. It is very difficult, but they do have alternative treatments that they use.

There is also some good information about the types of surgery and their abbreviations used at this site at Articles and Resources. The tab for this is at the top of this page, here is a link:
https://www.hystersisters.com/vb2/view.php?pg=anr

Some of your questions only your Dr can answer, but I would like to recommend that you get all of your questions answered to your satisfaction. There is a lot of information on this site. Sit down with a cup of tea when you have the time and just read through it. If you have anymore questions, please ask.

s,
Kay
Unread 07-19-2005, 10:13 AM
I need some knowledge

Hi Steph. I live very close to you (Forest City). My doctor referred to my hyst as aTAH (total ab. hyst). He took my uterus, cervis, tubes and ovaries. My incision is a vertical incision at bikini line and is about 5 inches in length. Just ask your doctor to tell you what all he (she) is taking out. As far as the HRT, I am on the Vivelle Dot patch. Put one on 3 days post-op. Doing great, but I also have history of cancer in immediate family. Am going to do some research on HRT and discuss with my doc at 6 week check-up. I will be 43 next week and don't want to stay on HRT for an extended period of time. Probably just a few months...until I can heal properly so I can better deal with horomonal symptoms.

Hope and pray everything goes well for you...and please ask your doctor any questions...thats why they make the big bucks. Take care. Connie
Unread 07-19-2005, 07:34 PM
I need some knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cljolleymelton
Hi Steph. I live very close to you (Forest City). My doctor referred to my hyst as aTAH (total ab. hyst). He took my uterus, cervis, tubes and ovaries. My incision is a vertical incision at bikini line and is about 5 inches in length. Just ask your doctor to tell you what all he (she) is taking out. As far as the HRT, I am on the Vivelle Dot patch. Put one on 3 days post-op. Doing great, but I also have history of cancer in immediate family. Am going to do some research on HRT and discuss with my doc at 6 week check-up. I will be 43 next week and don't want to stay on HRT for an extended period of time. Probably just a few months...until I can heal properly so I can better deal with horomonal symptoms.

Hope and pray everything goes well for you...and please ask your doctor any questions...thats why they make the big bucks. Take care. Connie
Hi Connie,

Thanks for the reply. I think we are pretty close, Forrest City is just outside of Boiling Springs, right? My family and I have only lived in the area a few years.

Regarding the hysterectomy and HRT, since finding this website, I am definitely going to be asking my dr more (lot's more) questions. One of the things you mentioned was that your incision was a vertical, I had assumed that at the "bikini line" meant horizontal, this is definitely something I want to know before my surgery.

It sounds like your surgery was very recent, how are you recouperating? I am also in my mid-40's (will be 45 in August), and I worry that it will be a slow process getting back to routine.

Regarding the Vivelle Dot patch, does it have many side effects? Is it something like estrogen? I am planning to read up on the different types of hormones and alternatives this week, so that I will be better informed before I go to my dr. I also have a thyroid condition and other health issues, as well as the family cancer history, so I want to be careful.

Well again thanks for all of your info, hope I haven't asked too many questions.
Prayers,

booklet
Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register